Wines that have significant graphite?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
J. Migone
GCC Member
GCC Member

Wines that have significant graphite?

#1 Post by J. Migone »

Looking for wines that show significant graphite under $50? Any suggestions? We can go over by a reasonable amount...
The one and only Obi Juan Migone

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Wines that have significant graphite?

#2 Post by Ramon C »

Look no further than many young Bordeaux.

edited to add:

Here are some that I've had in previous vintages where I frequently noted to have graphite notes in them. My experiences with graphite tend to be more p[ronounced with these communes. 2014 vintage was the last that I kind of looked around in Bordeaux pricing and these were at or below your $50 requirement.

Margaux: du Tertre, Labegorce, Marquis de Terme, Prieure Lichine
Pauillac: d’Armhaillac, Haut Batailley, Haut Bages Liberal, La Tourette
St. Julien: St. Pierre, Ch. Gloria, Talbot
Haut Medoc: Cantemerle, Sociando Mallet, Caronne St Gemme, Charmail, Chasse Spleen
Last edited by Ramon C on February 21st, 2021, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@brera

J. Migone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by J. Migone »

Which ones.... I've yet to find it...

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Arv R »

I'd look for Pauillac's, maybe with a decade on them.
R_@_0

Kelly Walker

#5 Post by Kelly Walker »

Try stirring your wine with a pencil. neener

Pauillac is your best bet.
“It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.”
Vladimir Lenin
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners"
George Carlin

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Ramon C »

J. Migone wrote: February 21st, 2021, 1:32 pm Which ones.... I've yet to find it...
Edited my note above to add suggestions as you requested.
These users thanked the author Ramon C for the post:
J. Migone
@brera

J. Migone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by J. Migone »

Thank you!

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by John Morris »

J. Migone wrote: February 21st, 2021, 12:57 pm Looking for wines that show significant graphite under $50? Any suggestions? We can go over by a reasonable amount...
Aargh! I'm sure you didn't intend this, but your trolling me.

Do you mean lead pencil aromas? If so, the characteristic scent of pencils is really the cedar that's used for the pencils, not the lead.

Graphite is odorless and its use as a descriptor seems to be based on a confusion between the scent of pencil wood and the lead. (The wax that graphite is mixed with in pencils does has a very faint odor, but I don't think that's what anyone is referring to.)

Over time, people (including many critics) began substituting "graphite" for "lead pencil" when what they're really referring to is the scent of cedar. ("Cigar box" is a classic descriptor for Bordeaux. Cigar boxes are often made of cedar and, of course, take on tobacco notes, too.)

For a fuller treatment, see this thread on the topic, and this illustrated graphite sniffing research.

OK, that's my rant about careless wine vocabulary for the day. Please forgive me. [worship.gif]
These users thanked the author John Morris for the post (total 4):
Chris Seiber, Art R, Mikael OB, Brady Daniels
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

John Morris wrote: February 21st, 2021, 3:00 pm
J. Migone wrote: February 21st, 2021, 12:57 pm Looking for wines that show significant graphite under $50? Any suggestions? We can go over by a reasonable amount...

Do you mean lead pencil aromas? If so, the characteristic scent of pencils is really the cedar that's used for the pencils, not the lead.

Graphite is odorless and its use as a descriptor seems to be based on a confusion between the scent of pencil wood and the lead. (The wax that graphite is mixed with in pencils does has a very faint odor, but I don't think that's what anyone is referring to.)

Over time, people (including many critics) began substituting "graphite" for "lead pencil" when what they're really referring to is the scent of cedar. ("Cigar box" is a classic descriptor for Bordeaux. Cigar boxes are often made of cedar and, of course, take on tobacco notes, too.)

For a fuller treatment, see this thread on the topic, and this illustrated graphite sniffing research.

OK, that's my rant about careless wine vocabulary for the day. Please forgive me. [worship.gif]
Damn Johnny you are wound tight! [snort.gif]

I had to warn you first.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

J. Migone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by J. Migone »

While I appreciate the rant and get your point.....can you also provide any recommendations....

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by John Morris »

I'm not drinking a lot of Bordeaux these days, which is the category where this is classic, so I'm no help. Alfert is the man to listen to. I'm only here to give you a hard time.
[wink.gif]

Keith Levenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Keith Levenberg »

Fonbadet, Sociando-Mallet, Grand Puy Ducasse
These users thanked the author Keith Levenberg for the post:
J. Migone

GregT

#13 Post by GregT »

So are you suggesting that none of the carbon allotropes have an aroma?

The classic Eberhard-Faber was probably cedar. A fine writing instrument that could become a deadly weapon. (See G. Gordon Liddy)

Today we have Smencils.

Made from old newspaper permeated with exotic scents.

https://www.vat19.com/item/smencils-gou ... ed-pencils
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Corey N.

#14 Post by Corey N. »

While BDX is classic, if looking new world, I would seek out WA Cabernet. Unfortunately, this is not something I drink often, so I cannot give you a list of producers to seek out.
These users thanked the author Corey N. for the post:
J. Migone
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

John Telford
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by John Telford »

I recently had a bottle of Chateau Gloria (mid range pricing) which I think displays the attributes you are looking find. But I also like the Washington State suggestions, even though Merlot based....try the Longshadow Merlot.
These users thanked the author John Telford for the post:
J. Migone

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Keith Levenberg wrote: February 21st, 2021, 3:40 pm Fonbadet, Sociando-Mallet, Grand Puy Ducasse
Grand Puy Lacoste
These users thanked the author Robert.A.Jr. for the post:
J. Migone
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Chris Seiber »

I feel like good Argentine malbecs and blends feature that significantly. Achaval Ferrer Quimera is a very nice wine at around $35-40 which is fairly easy to find.
These users thanked the author Chris Seiber for the post:
J. Migone

Markus S

#18 Post by Markus S »

I'm unclear on the term graphite.
As John points out, are you talking about lead pencil (which Bordeaux has in spades), or about a mineral quality (which is how I've seen it used before)?
$ _ € ® e . k @

Kent Comley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Kent Comley »

Sometimes see it in Priorat reds, such as Terroir Al Limit's wines. Low yields and real stoniness. Also in some Coonawarra CSs. But sometimes it is the oak (and char) that lends the graphite aromas.
ITB

Paul @bbott

#20 Post by Paul @bbott »

I have found both graphite and cedar in wines, the cedar is often on the nose, the graphite is more of a mineral flavour/texture on the palette. 2004 Belgrave was the first wine for me that I wrote graphite in my tasting note.

Roy Piper

#21 Post by Roy Piper »

I find that graphite/lead pencil descriptor is caused when (for Cabernet and Franc), a slight amount of pyrazine meets a slight amount of reduction. I adore that aroma. Notice that most of the Bordeaux wines with that aroma mentioned here are from the Left Bank and Cab-heavy. Because that's where higher ripeness is harder to achieve, thus leaving a bit of pyrazine in the Cab and Franc, which naturally have more of it than any other red varietal in the region. In St. Emilion they are reaching 15% alcohol nowadays so by that point the odds of getting that aroma is likely gone. And in Napa it is harder to get that aroma too, although south of Rutherford gives you a chance if you don't pick too ripe. It appeals to some and others flee from it. If you are not careful, the pyrazines can provide bell pepper or veggie aromas. But if you can get it ripe enough to hold a little black or green olive in the flavor profile and then it gets some reduction.... voila! I find the "cigar box" is when you marry the lead pencil aroma to a moderate dose of Taransaud new oak.
These users thanked the author Roy Piper for the post (total 5):
J. Migone, John Morris, Ramon C, Brady Daniels, Matthew.Rashbrook
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by John Morris »

Paul @bbott wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:37 pm

I have found both graphite and cedar in wines, the cedar is often on the nose, the graphite is more of a mineral flavour/texture on the palette. 2004 Belgrave was the first wine for me that I wrote graphite in my tasting note.
Whatever it is you're smelling, it's not graphite, because that is odorless. I don't know what graphite texture or flavor would be, either.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by John Morris »

Roy Piper wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:10 pm I find that graphite/lead pencil descriptor is caused when (for Cabernet and Franc), a slight amount of pyrazine meets a slight amount of reduction. I adore that aroma. Notice that most of the Bordeaux wines with that aroma mentioned here are from the Left Bank and Cab-heavy. Because that's where higher ripeness is harder to achieve, thus leaving a bit of pyrazine in the Cab and Franc, which naturally have more of it than any other red varietal in the region. In St. Emilion they are reaching 15% alcohol nowadays so by that point the odds of getting that aroma is likely gone. And in Napa it is harder to get that aroma too, although south of Rutherford gives you a chance if you don't pick too ripe. It appeals to some and others flee from it. If you are not careful, the pyrazines can provide bell pepper or veggie aromas. But if you can get it ripe enough to hold a little black or green olive in the flavor profile and then it gets some reduction.... voila! I find the "cigar box" is when you marry the lead pencil aroma to a moderate dose of Taransaud new oak.
Thanks for the chemistry lesson. That's very helpful!

Kelly Walker

#24 Post by Kelly Walker »

Having replaced brushes on large motor-generator sets and being covered head to toe in graphite in the process, I can attest that is has no odor. But what a mess!
“It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.”
Vladimir Lenin
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners"
George Carlin

Return to “Wine Talk”