TN: 2016 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

2016 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (2/20/2021)
Served double blind. Extremely bright and perfumed red fruit on the nose, as well as a slight dustiness. The palate is vibrant and bright, with lots of youthful red fruit. Clearly nebbiolo tannins, and although I hadn’t tasted many examples of 2016 Piedmont yet, based on what I had read, I guessed this to be a 2016 as well, though I settled on Giacosa. All that said, I’ve been a huge fan of the last two big vintages of this wine (2013 and 2015) but this feels like a moderate step down on the initial impression. It’s the bolder, more exposed structure which produces a wine that is sterner and less plush. I’m likely being conservative though, and fully expect this wine to improve with more time. (93 pts.)

2 Likes

Thanks for the note. I’ve tasted some Vajra and equivalent in 2016, but I’ve been too chicken to open anything at the Bartolo level. I just have too few.

Was blinded this btl tonight.
Loved the bright red strawberry fruit, felt the energy and youth, then crushed like a bug by the tannic hammer on the finish. Guessed 16 bartolo. :joy:

Damn, I haven’t opened my 2004’s. :wink:

Thanks for the note.

Thanks for taking the bullet. I’d be interested in trying a more finessed version of a Bartolo wine but this sounds pretty severe atm.

I had a pour of this at the Cantina next to the 2015, and liked it (it had been opened for a prior group) but was also not blown away, though I’m not sure I liked the 15 better.

Damn, the WSPro low for this is $420.

I guess I’m fortunate I never got to fall in love with it before the price moved almost into the First Growth category.

It’s the effect of the vintage hype. Other vintages are cheaper and, for drinking now, probably better (had '16 recently and it was good but fairly closed).