2019 Germany Vintage

I am looking to put away a few bottles of Riesling primarily from Mosel. I heard 2019 has been a great year in general with the usual Egon Muller getting high reviews for his Kabinett and Spatelese. But Egon comes with $$. Any other suggestions in both classes? Julian Haart appears to have a strong contender in Kabinett.

Any other reachable 2019 stars in the other regions? (Non Mosel)

I’ve been buying Falkenstein, JJ Prum, and Schaefer. Can’t lose with any of those.

Yeah. The options are vast and those are great recs. Only issue is availability on Falkenstein (especially) and Schaefer is spotty.

But JJ Prum–that’s where I’d start. Grab some '19 Wehlener Sonnenuhr (or Graacher Himmelreich) Spatlese (or Kabinett). They’re brilliant wines even now, they’ll age forever, and they can be located for reasonable prices. It’s inconceivably you’d ever regret having them in the cellar.

Definitely buy any Julian Haart kabi you can find.

I have purchased wines from Maximin Grunhaus, Zilliken, JJPrum, Falkenstein and Reinhold Haart.

I’ve gone fairly deep on 2019 German Riesling. I’m generally planning to keep most for many years, but have dipped my toe in to several to see if the vintage lives up to the hype (and I think it does - these are some spectacular wines!). Would recommend the following producers in particular, many of which have already been called out:

JJ Prum
Willi Schaefer
Peter Lauer
Falkenstein
Maximin Grunhauser
Weiser-Kunstler
Keller

No argument on these names. I popped a Merkelbach 2019 Urziger Wurzgarten Kabinett a few days ago and it was lovely. Straight up the middle Kabinett, on the white fruit/honeyed side of things with impeccable balance and great long tart honeyed finish. Not as sharply taut as Falkenstein, and not so tightly coiled and need to age as Schaefer. All good though.

Most of these wines were actually bought in 2020. There were some lucky finds, but it’s a good year to buy deep in Germany.

Weingut Keller
Wittmann
Kühling-Gillot
Joh. Jos. Prüm
Stein
Weingut Seehof
Andreas Laible
Dönnhoff
Fritz Ekkehard Huff
Müller-Ruprecht

There’s already a thread with over 300 posts on this topic:
https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2994752

(In addition to the others mentioned, Max Ferd Richter made some killer wines at the cheaper end of the spectrum.)

And any suggestions for producers from Rheinhessem, Rheingau or Nahe that has long cellaring

Search for the last two items “nahe” and you’ll find a bunch of hits. (Top right corner) let’s talk nahe, best value under 50. Let’s talk rheingau. German and Austrian wines are widely covered on the boards and there are specifics. You just missed the chats on Nahe that happened 2-4 weeks ago and 2019 was widely discussed 4th qtr 2020. Thus the not much posting back on your original question although there were a number of good suggestions.

FYI, donnehoff and wittman suggested previous are nahe producers I think. The suggestions so far were pretty good and succinct.if you search by producer name you will get links to more info. Aka falkenstein has hits to a recent source for purchasing. Search is the best way since this exact topic or very similar has been raised last week, earlier this month and last month. If you search value wines Riesling will be mentioned over 30% of the time.

Wittmann is Rheinhessen.

Already moved on to 2020!

:wink:

Even the basic pradikatswein are solid in 2019. I’ve been having a glass of the 2019 Heinz Eifel Riesling Kabinett [Mosel] each afternoon for the last 4 days, and its only starting to get blurry, less crisp on days 3 and 4. It’s on the ‘medium sweet’ side, light bodied, 8.5% abv, with refreshing white fruit flavors. This might be the first vintage since 2001, where I bought more than a couple QbA level wines. I’d give this a solid B grade and suggest consumption now. A.PNr 2 907 668 040 20