2021 Under $15.00 Wine Thread

List your wine and where to purchase. If anything those in the local area will benefit if they don’t ship.

2015 Davenport Cellars Patch - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/19/2021)
Day 1: Very good featuring cherry, coffee beans, earth, spice and dust. Medium finish. 91 points
Day 2: Coffee beans, sour cherry, earth, spices and savory finish. Very tasty.
Recommendation: $10 a bottle and 91 points works for me. Hard to believe any of this wine is left. (91 points)

https://davenportcellars.orderport.net/wines/current-releases
With shipping and the 50% off is under $15.00

Widely available and very enjoyable daily drinkers from Landskroon (Paarl, SA): Chenin Blanc, Rose of Pinotage.
Regularly on sale for $9.99 at the Wine Shop at Byerlys in White Bear Lake.

Yu mean what wines do I cook with?

Hal cooks with second label Bordeaux. First label is for drinking. Second label is for cooking.

1 Like

My best < $15 bottle of wine I got within in the last year was the 2014 Result of a Crush for $14.99 at Full Pull. Great bargain and excellent wine. It has a 91.2 average on Cellar Tracker.

2017 Care Garnacha Nativa Vinas Viejas. Better on day 3! $12

1 Like

2017 Care Garnacha Nativa Vinas Viejas. Better on day 3! $12

Day 3 always worth trying! champagne.gif

1 Like

I was gonna say Domaine Guion, one of the great QPRs in the world of wine, but just saw that this delicious Loire Cab Franc has jumped significantly by a whole stinkin dollar up to $16. It is outrageous! Kidding aside, this is a really good wine that can also age so effortlessly. I’ve had bottles with 15-30 years on them, oldest being a 1985 several years ago.

Just checked. I paid $12.98 for the 2017. Inflation!

The ‘08 is great right now, with no signs of decline. String showing for a relatively weak vintage. I think Chambers closed those out for $9.99 when the ‘09s came in.

Continuing with the Loire theme, I’d add the Chidaine Touraine Blanc, which was $15 and quite a tasty SB. Short tasting note below:

• 2019 François Chidaine Sauvignon Touraine - France, Loire Valley, Touraine (2/17/2021)
    Very light straw with a green tinge in terms of color. On the nose, this is definitely an AFWE style SB - it’s not overly fruity and grassy the way some new world SBs taste, rather it’s almost like a still champagne - very minerally, dry, flinty, and having notes of green apple, biscuit, white peach, flint, and chalk. Striking acidity on the palate and super dry.

Really liked this wine and at $15, it’s hard to beat for a daily drinker. Great with food, particularly sushi. Will certainly buy again. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Not very complex and very consistent all the way through. Wonderful nose of crushed red berries and wet rocks, oaky undertones too. Palate mimics the nose; medium body, medium acidity, smooth tannins. Finish is dry with an rocky earthy feel and with singing red fruits.

Drink now. Probably won’t benefit from time in the cellar. Very approachable now. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Morisfarms - Morellino di Scansano (sangiovese from the seaside slopes of Tuscany), widely available for less than $15. There’s a long track record of quality and value here.

+1

What about the lower end Vajra? I picked up a 2019 Langhe Ross’s the other day for $14.

2 Likes

Haven’t had the 2019, but this usually a very solid wine for the price.

Touraine is a good appellation for low cost, delicious SB. There is a communal producer (Oisly Thesee) that some vintages puts out a nice wine at sub $10. Domaine du Vissoux (Chermette) has some nice entry level Beaujolais that may still be under the threshold.

-Al

Perennially good values, but Gruet NV Brut Rose ($12) and Substance Cabernet Sauvignon ($10) both performed admirably last night. The Gruet was particularly impressive.

2 Likes

Hard to beat the QPR for almost all the Gruet sparklers I’ve tried.

Bonny Doon Grenache Clos De Gilroy at $14.99