I haven't complained about this recently, so . . .

If the A$$hole who keeps lurking at auctions and outbidding me when I try to buy wines for my adult son’s birth year does it one more time, I am going to hunt them down, make them listen to four hours of Rush Limbaugh’s greatest hits, and then throw them into Sarlac’s pit.

1 Like

And if you tell me what the birth year is, I will stop bidding against you…

Auctions-the reality is that these wines that are getting bid up at the last second are the wines that are selling below market. You can most likely go to wine-searcher and spend slightly more but get the wine you want at a “fair” price. Auctions are no longer the bargains that they once were as everyone is stuck at home staring at their computers instead of being at fancy dinners, parties or on vacation. Set a search criteria in wine searcher and you will get what you want at reasonable prices!

You might want to avoid the “BidAgainstHack” Reddit forum, then. Or infiltrate it.

Complaining about sniping is … well just complaining. If it makes you feel a little better, then wth.

But sniping is just normal, also known as “how to win.” My favorite anti-sniping strategy is to set my max bid 15-20% higher than current bid. Then when my winning bid is way below my max I get that double-shot of good feeling - getting a ‘deal’ and beating the snipers.

Or sometimes I snipe.

2 Likes

Seems like a solid strategy.

WallStreetBets is aligned against you!

Got outbid badly on an auction Thursday night. Think there’s just a lot of people home with money to spend right now.

My son said he will never drink so not worried. Of course I said that when I was 16.

The chances of you and I ever bidding on the same wine are pretty low, so it cannot be me.

2 Likes

So, a smarter bidding strategy makes them an a$$hole?

Should I take that as a confession? You will be receiving your CD with the Limbaugh MP3 in the mail.

He was born in 1979. They had not yet discovered how to make my kind of wine by then, so of course I am almost enirely limited to that weak swill that you love. neener

I was bidding on a 1979 Amarone, if you must know.

1. I generally put in a max bid at two increments above my opening bottom feeder bid.
  2. I have a life to live outside of bidding on wine, so sitting around and sniping at the last minute is something I rarely have time for. I am sorry for all the others who have no real life and get to sit in their mother’s basement in their underwear sniping my bids.

My wife has suggested that I change my bidding ID so that the people who have figured out my ID and have no real life but just follow me around because they know that I pick the good stuff will be thrown off the trail.

On occasion, I deliberately bid on crap I do not want just for sport, so that the A$$hole outbids me on some crap. In the past 10 years, I have never ended up winning such a lot.

What’s Reddit? Never heard of it. I was too busy shorting Gamestop when it peaked over $300.

No, it just means that they need to get a real life. AND, I do not really care, but since the election is over, I needed someone else to complain about.

Simple wines for simple minds. neener [snort.gif]

You really shouldn’t buy questionable provenance auction stuff for birth year wines. Hit the London dealers and wait till the tariffs go away.

If only there were eSnipe for winebid and other wine auction sites. Then you could snipe it yourself- put in your max bid with eSnipe when the item is listed but not have the bid placed until the final seconds of bidding. Someone needs to develop “eWineSnipe.” I bet it would not take much in terms of development and would be lucrative. And I checked: there is no “eWineSnipe.com.” “ESnipeWine?” “ISnipeWine?” Hmmm…

What you really need to do is ask Mark very nicely to assist you in your search for birth year wines… flirtysmile