I haven't complained about this recently, so . . .

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

I haven't complained about this recently, so . . .

#1 Post by J a y H a c k »

If the A$$hole who keeps lurking at auctions and outbidding me when I try to buy wines for my adult son's birth year does it one more time, I am going to hunt them down, make them listen to four hours of Rush Limbaugh's greatest hits, and then throw them into Sarlac's pit.
These users thanked the author J a y H a c k for the post:
Fred Bower
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: I haven't complained about this recently, so . . .

#2 Post by Mark Golodetz »

And if you tell me what the birth year is, I will stop bidding against you....
ITB

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Brent S »

Auctions-the reality is that these wines that are getting bid up at the last second are the wines that are selling below market. You can most likely go to wine-searcher and spend slightly more but get the wine you want at a “fair” price. Auctions are no longer the bargains that they once were as everyone is stuck at home staring at their computers instead of being at fancy dinners, parties or on vacation. Set a search criteria in wine searcher and you will get what you want at reasonable prices!
Br en t. Sp ren kle
Manhattan Beach, Ca

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

You might want to avoid the “BidAgainstHack” Reddit forum, then. Or infiltrate it.

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by R. Frankel »

Complaining about sniping is ... well just complaining. If it makes you feel a little better, then wth.

But sniping is just normal, also known as “how to win.” My favorite anti-sniping strategy is to set my max bid 15-20% higher than current bid. Then when my winning bid is way below my max I get that double-shot of good feeling - getting a ‘deal’ and beating the snipers.

Or sometimes I snipe.
These users thanked the author R. Frankel for the post (total 2):
Brady Daniels, Ed Cooper
Rich Frankel

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Brady Daniels »

R. Frankel wrote: February 20th, 2021, 7:34 am My favorite anti-sniping strategy is to set my max bid 15-20% higher than current bid. Then when my winning bid is way below my max I get that double-shot of good feeling - getting a ‘deal’ and beating the snipers.
Seems like a solid strategy.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Arv R »

WallStreetBets is aligned against you!
R_@_0

Jeff_M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8 Post by Jeff_M. »

Got outbid badly on an auction Thursday night. Think there’s just a lot of people home with money to spend right now.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by John Glas »

My son said he will never drink so not worried. Of course I said that when I was 16.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Howard Cooper »

J a y H a c k wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:27 am If the A$$hole who keeps lurking at auctions and outbidding me when I try to buy wines for my adult son's birth year does it one more time, I am going to hunt them down, make them listen to four hours of Rush Limbaugh's greatest hits, and then throw them into Sarlac's pit.
The chances of you and I ever bidding on the same wine are pretty low, so it cannot be me.
These users thanked the author Howard Cooper for the post (total 2):
Robert.A.Jr., Chris Seiber
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

JBucholz

#11 Post by JBucholz »

So, a smarter bidding strategy makes them an a$$hole?
J 1 M

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by J a y H a c k »

Mark Golodetz wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:41 am And if you tell me what the birth year is, I will stop bidding against you....
Should I take that as a confession? You will be receiving your CD with the Limbaugh MP3 in the mail.

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by J a y H a c k »

Howard Cooper wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:32 am
J a y H a c k wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:27 am If the A$$hole who keeps lurking at auctions and outbidding me when I try to buy wines for my adult son's birth year does it one more time, I am going to hunt them down, make them listen to four hours of Rush Limbaugh's greatest hits, and then throw them into Sarlac's pit.
The chances of you and I ever bidding on the same wine are pretty low, so it cannot be me.
He was born in 1979. They had not yet discovered how to make my kind of wine by then, so of course I am almost enirely limited to that weak swill that you love. neener

I was bidding on a 1979 Amarone, if you must know.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by J a y H a c k »

R. Frankel wrote: February 20th, 2021, 7:34 am Complaining about sniping is ... well just complaining. If it makes you feel a little better, then wth.

But sniping is just normal, also known as “how to win.” My favorite anti-sniping strategy is to set my max bid 15-20% higher than current bid. Then when my winning bid is way below my max I get that double-shot of good feeling - getting a ‘deal’ and beating the snipers.

Or sometimes I snipe.
1. I generally put in a max bid at two increments above my opening bottom feeder bid.
2. I have a life to live outside of bidding on wine, so sitting around and sniping at the last minute is something I rarely have time for. I am sorry for all the others who have no real life and get to sit in their mother's basement in their underwear sniping my bids.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by J a y H a c k »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:59 am You might want to avoid the “BidAgainstHack” Reddit forum, then. Or infiltrate it.
My wife has suggested that I change my bidding ID so that the people who have figured out my ID and have no real life but just follow me around because they know that I pick the good stuff will be thrown off the trail.

On occasion, I deliberately bid on crap I do not want just for sport, so that the A$$hole outbids me on some crap. In the past 10 years, I have never ended up winning such a lot.

What's Reddit? Never heard of it. I was too busy shorting Gamestop when it peaked over $300.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by J a y H a c k »

JBucholz wrote: February 20th, 2021, 3:32 pm So, a smarter bidding strategy makes them an a$$hole?
No, it just means that they need to get a real life. AND, I do not really care, but since the election is over, I needed someone else to complain about.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Howard Cooper »

J a y H a c k wrote: February 20th, 2021, 3:40 pm
He was born in 1979. They had not yet discovered how to make my kind of wine by then, so of course I am almost enirely limited to that weak swill that you love. neener

Simple wines for simple minds. neener [snort.gif]
Howard

CCoulson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by CCoulson »

You really shouldn’t buy questionable provenance auction stuff for birth year wines. Hit the London dealers and wait till the tariffs go away.
Cr0mw311 *I like to edit my posts for clarity

Sarah S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Sarah S »

If only there were eSnipe for winebid and other wine auction sites. Then you could snipe it yourself- put in your max bid with eSnipe when the item is listed but not have the bid placed until the final seconds of bidding. Someone needs to develop “eWineSnipe.” I bet it would not take much in terms of development and would be lucrative. And I checked: there is no “eWineSnipe.com.” “ESnipeWine?” “ISnipeWine?” Hmmm...
S m i t h

Sarah S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Sarah S »

J a y H a c k wrote: February 20th, 2021, 3:38 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:41 am And if you tell me what the birth year is, I will stop bidding against you....
Should I take that as a confession? You will be receiving your CD with the Limbaugh MP3 in the mail.
What you really need to do is ask Mark very nicely to assist you in your search for birth year wines... flirtysmile
S m i t h

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#21 Post by JDavisRoby »

I do get irritated when something gets sniped by only a few bucks. But, I’ve come to peace with just putting my max bid and letting it ride.
These users thanked the author JDavisRoby for the post (total 2):
Anton D, robert creth
Joshu@

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by maureen nelson »

1979 is an underrated Burgundy vintage ...
These users thanked the author maureen nelson for the post:
Howard Cooper

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Cris Whetstone »

maureen nelson wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:24 pm

I think Jay is officially getting trolled now...
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#24 Post by Rodrigo B »

JDavisRoby wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:21 pm I do get irritated when something gets sniped by only a few bucks. But, I’ve come to peace with just putting my max bid and letting it ride.
This. I usually don't place my bids until Sunday though. No need to drive up action on the lots I'm interested in. I also use it to avoid any sunk cost fallacies in trying to win a lot i already bid on. For WineBid specifically I usually look through the lots and highlight the lots I'm interested in and set myself an in internal max bid for those less. Then closer to the auction close I'll just place my max bid for all those lots and let the chips fall where they may.
B r @ g @

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by J a y H a c k »

Sarah S wrote: February 20th, 2021, 5:40 pm
J a y H a c k wrote: February 20th, 2021, 3:38 pm
What you really need to do is ask Mark very nicely to assist you in your search for birth year wines... flirtysmile
I have known Mark for many years. He lives less than 30 minutes from my house. He was at the last Berserkerfest at my house and he was nice enough to bring a Reserve du Celestins to one of my pre-pandemic Jets tailgates. It's all in fun.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by J a y H a c k »

Cris Whetstone wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:27 pm
maureen nelson wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:24 pm 1979 is an underrated Burgundy vintage ...
Ha! You think I only drink Saxum, SQN, Myriad and Cayuse because I like flavor with my wine? In my cellar, I have two bottles of 1976 Château de la Maltroye Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge and a bottle of 1982 Hospices de Beaune Pommard Cuvée Billardet Jean Duport, which bracket 1979 pretty well. By the way, the former are the remaining two bottles from a case I bought upon release.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by J a y H a c k »

CCoulson wrote: February 20th, 2021, 5:37 pm You really shouldn’t buy questionable provenance auction stuff for birth year wines. Hit the London dealers and wait till the tariffs go away.
I have been doing it for years and I got a bad bottle only once. When the plague is over and I am pressured into having another Berserkerfest, you can come and I will open a 1951 Offley Colheita or a 1951 Rivesaltas I got that way. Come to think of it, I opened one of the Offleys at BF 2.5 in 2010. Someone suggested that there was a slight bit of chlorine on the nose. My response was, "Do you really think it is the wine or perhaps the 30,000 gallon swimming pool about 10 feet behind you?"

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#28 Post by Adam Frisch »

Jay, do you want me to check my Amarone collection? I might have a 1979. Are you looking for a specific producer?
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Chris Seiber »

I never really understand the angst about getting sniped. Either it means:

(1) at the last second, someone outbid you, and you would have bid higher than them if only there were time left for you to do so, or

(2) at the last second, someone bid higher than you were willing to bid, even if you'd had time to consider it.

If it's (1), why didn't you set your max bid higher in the first place? If you were actually willing to spend $70, but you put your max bid at $60 and someone else bought it for $65 a second before the auction ended, then that's just bad process on your part. You should have put $70 as your max bid.

If it's (2), then someone bid more than you were willing to pay and so that's that. It's an auction.

Back when I used to do auctions (I stopped probably 10 years ago), I actually kind of liked it when I looked Monday morning and saw I was sniped. I had my fun finding and shopping for the wine (and if you're honest with yourself, that is a fun thing of itself even apart from actually drinking the wine in question), but I didn't ultimately have to spend the money or add more bottles to my overfull collection. And there was always next week.

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by R. Frankel »

J a y H a c k wrote: February 20th, 2021, 3:43 pm I have a life to live outside of bidding on wine
This part confused me. champagne.gif
Rich Frankel

NED VALOIS

#31 Post by NED VALOIS »

Ut-Oh !
'79 is my first born's year of birth too !
I bought some great cognacs for him whilst I was in Germany years ago !
I also occasionally search for a '79 deal ! [pillow-fight.gif]

NED VALOIS

#32 Post by NED VALOIS »

NED VALOIS wrote: February 20th, 2021, 10:32 pm Ut-Oh !
'79 is my first born's year of birth too !
I bought some great cognacs for him whilst I was in Germany years ago !
I also occasionally search for a '79 deal ! [pillow-fight.gif]
PS Rush was "The Man" !

Robert Sand

#33 Post by Robert Sand »

I´m certainly not the "A$$hole", but there´s an easy way to get what you want: bid way above the market price ... and you most probably get it! neener

That´s the pros and cons of auctions - the highest bidder gets the lot!

(BTW: I´m not a fan of Amarone ... but I like 1979 as a vintage in Bx, Bg and Rh ... and Germany)
YES!

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by J a y H a c k »

R. Frankel wrote: February 20th, 2021, 9:22 pm
J a y H a c k wrote: February 20th, 2021, 3:43 pm I have a life to live outside of bidding on wine
When your post count exceeds 14000, you will attain wise old man status.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by J a y H a c k »

PS - For those of you who had retained wise old man status, does this qualify as the current year's version of the wine-stained sweater thread?

Alan Rath
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#36 Post by Alan Rath »

If you let us know exactly which wines you are bidding on each week, we’ll know which ones not to snipe.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by J a y H a c k »

Alan Rath wrote: February 21st, 2021, 10:30 am If you let us know exactly which wines you are bidding on each week, we’ll know which ones not to snipe.
It is a state by state issue, but in some states that would be an illegal post by me. Really!

NED VALOIS

#38 Post by NED VALOIS »

Put your left hand on my badge & You incur adaptive immunity. [wow.gif] neener

JBrochu

#39 Post by JBrochu »

J a y H a c k wrote: February 20th, 2021, 7:27 pm Someone suggested that there was a slight bit of chlorine on the nose. My response was, "Do you really think it is the wine or perhaps the 30,000 gallon swimming pool about 10 feet behind you?"
[snort.gif]
J@hn

Anton D
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#40 Post by Anton D »

JDavisRoby wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:21 pm I do get irritated when something gets sniped by only a few bucks. But, I’ve come to peace with just putting my max bid and letting it ride.
Ditto! I put in my max bid and then see if I get any “you won” emails!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Eric White »

Hey Jay, I can hook you up with someone that has a bunch of '79 Barolo/Barbaresco if you're interested. Drop me a DM if so.

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by maureen nelson »

Cris Whetstone wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:27 pm

Not by me. I had no idea (before you posted that comment) that Jay has no interest in Burgundy. He seems so smart but...

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Howard Cooper »

J a y H a c k wrote: February 21st, 2021, 6:41 am
R. Frankel wrote: February 20th, 2021, 9:22 pm
When your post count exceeds 14000, you will attain wise old man status.
I thought that took 21,000 posts. Either that, or at 21,000 I reached senile old man status.
Howard

Ian S

#44 Post by Ian S »

I'd heckle Jay, but I'd be flogging a dead horse since he has me on ignore.

deadhorse
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - the "Crazy Uncle" Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

"I swear to god, I've never seen so many whiny bitches in one place in my life." - Steve Saxon, 01/30/18
"Moral superiority can taste awfully good to some." - David Kantrowitz, 05/29/19

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#45 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Just grab a 79 laberdolive and call it a day.

Return to “Wine Talk”