1990 Lingenfelder Grosskarlbacher Burgweg Scheurebe Auslese

Had this wine last night. Interested in seeing how a 30 year old Scheurebe would taste.

Very good I would say. Fairly dark color (but not too dark) as would be expected. Rich wines, still sweet and very much a dessert wine. Pretty flavors. Held up very well but did not develop the complex flavors a 1990 Riesling Auslese would have developed. Still, impressed.

That’s a producer name you don’t see much anymore.

Scheurebe generally doesn’t develop like Riesling does. More than anything it holds, becoming older Scheurebe. Sometimes it goes deep into the green side of its flavors with age. Unpredictable, but other than some very specific wines (Catoir from HGS) I just drink them young for the flamboyance of the grape.

I thought the same exact thing. I remember them because I believe Lingenfelder Riesling was the first Riesling I ever had - I think maybe it was Thiese selection at the time but I’m not too sure.

Lingenfelder was with Terry for a long time.

1 Like

Great Pradikat Rieslings in the 90s. It looks like Martin Scott/Winebow has the estate now in NY/NJ/CT, but I haven’t seen them offered or in any quantity in many years.

Still have a 1989 Scheurebe Auslese and a few 1994 Rieslings from him.

There is a 1997 Riesling Beerenauslese lurking somewhere in my cellar.