Rioja

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
bradkaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Rioja

#51 Post by bradkaplan »

Man I love the value Rioja brings, in particular for aged wines (red and white, thank you very much Lopez de Heredia).

This prompted me to look up my "average vintage" by region in CT - which is both an indication of what I buy/drink AND also what's being released - my California avg is 2017 (lots of Dirty & Rowdy), Burgundy is 2014, Rioja is 2002! (and that even includes a few of the 2016 CUNE Monopole Clasico, but also some LdH going back to the 80's). The Tondonia Reserva in particular is something I feel compelled to buy (and thrilled to buy) every vintage, and the fact that 2008 is the most recent release makes me downright giddy.

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by lleichtman »

Tomás Costa wrote: February 20th, 2021, 3:05 am
Barry L i p t o n wrote: February 19th, 2021, 10:51 pm
john stimson wrote: February 19th, 2021, 8:36 pm Rioja is a great option, but you have to pick your american oak tolerance and your producers, and also pick the era, as I think oak treatment has varied a lot over the years. And some places use french oak rather than american. Personally my sweet spot is the older stuff--older CVNE, Riojanas, and of course LdH.
The best part of my visit to San Sebastian. Or the best liquid part at least!
My last pre-pandemic trip. Gorgeous city.
Did you go to Rekondo?
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Tomás Costa

#53 Post by Tomás Costa »

lleichtman wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:20 pm
Tomás Costa wrote: February 20th, 2021, 3:05 am
Barry L i p t o n wrote: February 19th, 2021, 10:51 pm

The best part of my visit to San Sebastian. Or the best liquid part at least!
My last pre-pandemic trip. Gorgeous city.
Did you go to Rekondo?
No, sadly. I was pretty much there for work, and was joined by a friend who prefers to keep things more budget friendly.
IG: tomascosta6524

John Kight

#54 Post by John Kight »

Mattstolz wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 6:49 pm interesting to see less love for LRA than I expected. 904 is one of the wines that I feel like still offers pretty good price for what I view as a world class wine. IMO in general the classified Riojas that see oak just need a ton of time to integrate it.
I love the 904 and buy it in most years too. The only reason I mentioned Prado Enea rather than LRA 904 as an example of a wine that consistently deliver over more expensive Cali wines is that the American Oak in LRA 904 is off putting to many, and there are a lot of folks who would disagree that the "dill" flavor of American oak can ever be "integrated." I also don't tend to age the LRA that long....Not that they CAN'T age (I don't have any experience with that), but I'm finding the '04s are really in a great spot right now, and with respect to any wine that is "drinking great", I'd rather enjoy it than take a chance to see what the future will bring. I plan to move to the next vintage within the next few years.

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Arv R »

R_@_0

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by K John Joseph »

I do think that Rioja presents some real values. I must say, though, that catching a rioja reserva with the big dill note is a killer for me, and when it's there and prevalent, I'd rather pour it out than drink it.
J0hn-J-K4ne

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by John Glas »

I love the 904 and buy it in most years too.
At $50 in Minneapolis can't beat the QPR on this wine. [cheers.gif]

Return to “Wine Talk”