TN: 2017 Clos Larrouyat Jurançon Sec Météore

Truth be told, the wines of Jurancon are not my radar at all. Thus I am all the more grateful for the salesperson in Grenoble’s wine shop La Balade des Terroirs who offered me a taste of this small production gem based on the wines I had shown interest towards until that point. It’s a biodynamic blend of Petit and Gros Manseng that saw six months in old oak but really does not show any oak notes at all. Despite the not so mainstream varieties it is an extremely easy wine to enjoy for any regular Riesling drinker, even if the fruit expression is closer to Chenin Blanc or Altesse. Thanks to the moderate 12.5% ABV and great acidity it drinks fantastically well.

The value is great too, I paid only 18€, although as a Kermit Lynch wine it is probably not quite as cheap on the other side of the pond. Kudos to him for picking it up though, surely not the easiest sell in the world despite being an absolutely great drink.

• 2017 Clos Larrouyat Jurançon Sec Météore - France, Southwest France, Jurançon Sec (19.2.2021)
    Very exciting on the unashamedly fruity and expressive nose: beeswax, agrumes, a hint of spicy and something minerally/salty. On the palate seems dry but there is an absolute abundance of fruit and just wonderfully uplifting and refreshing acidity. Relatively rich but not weighty at all with delicious tanginess to it. Super juicy and vivid, I can’t recall a white this energetic in a while, yet it has some texture too. There is the sort of joie de vivre in this that just makes you happy. Massive drinkability as well. An easy rebuy, if I can find.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

He’s the only one selling this wine in the US (the 2019, for $34).

What do you think of it as value for that price?

Chris - I don’t know this producer, but we absolutely adore the Camin Larredya Part Davant Jurancon Sec. It is a spectacular food wine, compelling and delicious - the profile is similar to what is described in the OP note. Village Wine & Spirits in Sleepy Hollow, NY has it for $26.99. They are a good outfit, highly recommend both the wine and the store.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound too bad to me! If you are in any way intrigued I say go ahead and give it a chance.

Sec Wines in Oregon had the 2017 for $24, so I ordered a few. I’ll let you know. Thanks for the rec

Terrific! Please do report back. I have not yet had a 2017 - still working on earlier vintages, as it ages very nicely. For pairings, it kind of follows chenin rules (goat cheese, salmon, pork), but its gift is to be a chameleon while still holding its own and being interesting. Highly versatile.

1 Like

Didn’t Moore Bros carry this?

Yes, but not recently.

Thought so, you nailed it with the chameleon aspect. I love wines like that.

1 Like

Thanks for the note Ilkka - sounds excellent - after a recent first Camin Larredya Part Davant, which Sarah mentioned, I’m looking out for more modern Jurançons so I will seek some of this out!

Looking forward to your note, I reckon it will not be too hard your you to locate a bottle in France (boy do I wish we could travel again…). To my surprise I just noticed that a few Larredyas are available here, I might just give the one you mention a go.