TN: 2018 Istine Chianti Classico (Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG)

Day 1:
Red fruits, spice, cedar, and red licorice on the nose. Still tightly coiled on the palate on opening. It has a nice contrast of a lightness coupled with intensity. More red fruits, licorice, and spice all with a chalky backbone. It’s finely detailed and seemingly light on its feet with subtle power and depth. Finishes with firm, yet fine tannins. I eagerly look forward to following this over several years. A lovely, graceful wine of character.

On day three this has come into its own. It’s still red fruited but now with more depth and breadth. More red licorice, cedar, and spice. It has gained palate impact without losing any focus or balance. This is a pretty delicious, beautifully balanced wine. Finishes with fine firm tannins. This is terrific young Chianti.

I have been dipping my toes into the world of Chianti of late, and this is another beautiful, interesting, complicated, and delicious wine. A bargain to boot. This was tight on the first day, but still enjoyable. It showed beautifully on day three. I will hold my remaining bottles for a few years. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Thanks. I don’t know this one.

David, I think you would like this wine. It’s pretty lean and nervy the first day, and I liked it quite a bit then for its cut and freshness (what some would call austerity), but it has backbone and depth that developed with air time. It was best on the third day, and good enough that there will be no fourth day for the bottle. From following your TN’s for a good while, I suspect this would align with your palate preference. Thanks for reading.

I recently tried a bottle of the ‘18 Castellare di Castellina CC and was reasonably impressed, with some similar impressions to your Istine, especially the red fruit and light on its feet comments. If these two wines are any indication, I think the vintage could be promising.

1 Like

Bob, try the '18 Selvapiana Chianti Rufina. It should be well under $20, and is really pure, pretty, Chianti.

Imported out west by Oliver McCrum, who is the most reliable source of Italian value under $25 on the planet.

1 Like

Oliver is also the West coast importer for Castell’in Villa, but he unfortunately does not distribute it nationally.

1 Like

Istine=fine wines+nice winemaker

I want that on a T-shirt.

2 Likes

I’ll second that rec: really lovely pure red fruited Chianti.

I’m looking forward to trying the Castellari di Castellina. I’ve got a few bottles coming sometime soon.

Greg (dal Piaz) has been helping me try to learn more about the region and he is a fan of ‘18 in chianti. Idon’t pretend to know the region well enough to make any predictions., but I have liked my limited sampling of 18s.

thanks for reading and your input everyone.

hope all is well with you Bob.

best,

Todd

1 Like

When the Istine 2020 Rosé gets released it’s a must purchase.
By the way, did you know this is pronounced East-teen-ay? My team called it Is-teen… I guess because it sounds like Christine :wink: but my immigrant, Italian grandparents are probably shouting from their graves at my mispronunciation.

1 Like