TN: 2016 Ridge Zinfandel Buchignani Ranch (USA, California, Sonoma County)

• 2016 Ridge Zinfandel Buchignani Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County (2/18/2021)
    Somehow a slightly atypical Zin. Feels both a little nervy and mellow at the same time, which I know, makes no real sense. A nervier front, like an Austrian wine or a Piedmontese thingy, then after that a sort of velvety, soft embrace, like a Merlot. There’s a slight disjoint between the two, but not offensive. I like it, but I get that nagging feeling I could have had the same wine from an Italian village cooperative for $20. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

The atypical quality and nerviness may come from the 21% carignane. The proportion can be even higher in Ridge Geyserville. I love what it brings there – a fresh, red-fruitedness that adds complexity to the darker, richer fruit profile of zin.

Note, too, that this is only 14.5%, which is common enough in Ridge zins, but unusually low for zins as a whole.

Yes. Buchignani is the source of the Ridge straight Carignan bottling as well. The quality of which fluctuates quote a bit with vintage which seems old school these days. The '15 of that wine was kind of an embarrassment. It drank something closer to a $12 Barbera. But the '16 Carigan was quite powerful and rich. I sourced a few more for my cellar after trying it. It’s Carignan so it will never be complex but it took a couple years for it to relax. It’s drinking quite well right now.

So I’ve been curious to see how the Buchignani Zin would be from '16 since they always throw a good deal of the Carignan in. They did to age this bottling a bit before release also. I got my ATP shipment this week including this wine. Will try soon. I think '16 so far has been less successful for Zin across the board than it was for this Carignan.

Trying Buchignani for the last 30 years, I am not a fan. Happy to have others pour them for me, but won’t be a buyer.