TN: 2007 Biggio Hamina Cellars Syrah Deux Vert

Todd is a charmingly whacky dude. Builds Frankenbikes for racing. Does multi-day, 100+ mile per day events. Crushes it on the bike. And yet, it appears he crushes it in winemaking was well. Who woulda thunk he had the time given all that cycling.

This wine wows me. Like very surprised. And not really sure why.

Sure, I’m a Franco-snob. Don’t really buy much new world stuff. I cannot recall when I got this, but I think it was on one of Todd’s mystery case deals. I’ve been meaning to open it, but in truth, wasn’t quite sure what to expect, twist off cap and all. Yea, I still like my corks.

The aromatics on this wine are insane.

Some reductive funkiness, sous bois, cured game meat, brine and florals. Maybe some stems? Rather old world in that sense, like an off-vintage Cote Rotie, thinking 2008 with its aromatics, pale color and crisp profile. The palate on this wine is similar. A nervy, crisp, red-dominant profile on the body. Savory, saline and pepper, like an herb patch. Mid-palate is a little diffuse, but wow, the crisp red edges given this lighter-weight wine a larger impression, like a dancing middle-weight.
(92 pts.)

619E313D-F1F4-40EC-B36C-0E9526E96E45.jpeg

1 Like

Nice nose. Did this with 8% Viognier and 100% whole cluster. Glad it walked the walk for you.

Yah, that wine es muy bueno. I am down to my last bottle of both 2007 and 2008. It was fun to see that fruit come in, I learned a lot.

This is a wine I know very well. Todd was practically giving these away shortly before my daughter’s wedding in 2017. I went in for a few cases to serve at the wedding. It was about 85° that day so they ended up drinking lots of rosé (right through the reserve case that I as really hoping wasn’t going to be served) and beer and I ended up with a few bottles of this wine left over so I’ve gotten the opportunity to drink a few samples. I have to admit to giving a chuckle when I read “Maybe some stems?”. That seems quite understated. Just in case I left the wrong impression, I am extremely pleased to have more bottles of this wine to look forward to.
Oh, and I feel quite the opposite on the screw cap/cork sentiment. I like my screw caps!

Those were some good days. I think I have a case of 07 XX left, but as Brian notes I cut deals on the regular 07 Syrah.

I had a feeling it would age well, but you just never know. And with it being the first time that I made Syrah, and my first vintage as the owner it only made sense to take big chances.

You and I are always sympatico on that.

I have a bottle of the XX squirreled away. I promised myself I would hold it until 2028, when I turn 60.

Thanks for the responses, guys. A cool read.

Love this wine and agree that it could hold its own in a tasting of Northern Rhône’s. I think I drank thru 2 cases each of the 2007 and 2008. I only got 6 bottles of the 09, and that turned out to be my favorite of the three.

1 Like

I really enjoyed both Marcus’ and Todd’s Syrah from this vineyard. I found the 07 BH it more lithe than Bobby did, which is something I also found in Marcus’ 13. I was lucky enough to try the 08 with Marcus and it was a different beast – medium scaled and a dead ringer for Northern Rhone.

I have a bottle of this. Earmarked for one of my son’s birth year cases. Figured that screw cap would be keep it good for a few years. :slight_smile:

But, it may not make it that far.

It would not surprise me to see this wine drink well into twenty years. This was a hunch early on, but you only know you’re right until later.

I still have a few left, finished one off last night. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Opened up the 2009 vintage of this wine tonight. According to the bottle more Viognier than the 2007.

Been open for about six hours now and still going strong. Intended to keep some for tomorrow but no way it makes it. Loads of Worcestershire, brine, bacon fat. Did have a little trouble with the cork but that just proves why Todd went screwcap. No Francophile but this seems to be a Côte-Rôtie all day.

1 Like

I gotta have more viognier.

The 2009 was nicknamed “Liquid Charcuterie”. Seventeen percent Viognier and 50+ months in barrel.

2 Likes

We actually sipped on a D&R Viognier while your wine opened up. Hell of a contrast!

1 Like

A very appropriate nickname for a fantastic wine, even though it might not sound all that appetizing to someone who hadn’t tasted it.

Was there any one thing that year between the extra viognier, time in barrel or growing season that gave this wine so much more meatiness than 2007 & 2008?

Yes, 09 was hot. The big yellow ball in the sky made the most difference.

1 Like

While on the topic of 2007. Shameless plug for my 07's- SOLD OUT - Commerce Corner - Wine Classifieds - WineBerserkers