2014 Red Burgundy

A recent thread on the greatest white burgundy vintage of the 21st century emphatically declared 2014 the winner.

That result made me curious - why the relative lack of love for the 2014 reds? What was it about the growing season that caused chardonnay to “outperform” pinot so significantly? Or… does 2014 pinot not get enough love?

Is it possible to imagine a vintage in Burgundy that produces “once in a century” reds and whites?? [pwn.gif]

Different grapes. Different outcomes.

2014 reds are delicious, but not at vintage of the century levels.

Only 7 years per decade can qualify… newhere

3 Likes

2010?

Drink some 2014 reds and whites and come back and tell us what you think. Tasting is the only way to answer this. Please let us know your conclusions.

14 reds are great and probably underrated. They’re just in a run of very good to great vintages.

Two issues. One is that 2010, while very fine in white, is not the best of even the last 20 years. And then there’s the “once in a century” thing. 2010 in red is wonderful, but it’s hard to believe that it will be a once in a century vintage, unless the next 80 vintages turn to overripe shit.

Hahahah ok true. I kinda ignored the “last me ever, first name greatest” part. More 2010 had really really good whites and reds. Not the best of any century but superb all around vintage. :joy:

Friends,

Stop looking for “the vintage of the century”. Stick to years that give pleasure on an early basis (97, 2000, 2001, 2007…). According to Alix Millot :
also 2010,11,12 and 13 are so-called “easy” vintages…Great domaines will always deliver quality whatever the vintage. There may be a difference from year to year but still… What’s the point of having a 2005 where you buy wine for your grandchildren??? (I am not going to let them have it. The bastards…)
PS: haven’t got any grandchildren…

SINCERELY JOHAN

97??? With exceptions (like Jadot), not my favorite vintage.

[winner.gif]

So far…2014 red is still delicious ( at age 7 now ) and it may not close-down. Another 2007 red ?

Friends,
97 had to be drunk early and was surely not a great vintage but one giving early pleasure. Only Jadot??? I know at least 20 domaines to be added to a shortlist of wineries delivering absolutely gorgeous wines. But I think most of them were not built to last… Who cares?

SINCERLY JOHAN

97 is pretty much terrible compared to the vintages in the 2009-2019 range and the prices reflect that.

The only vintage that is as bad is 11 and that’s arguable.

To my tastes the Mugneret Gibourg wines have shut down.

1 Like

Yeah, pretty much every 97 I’ve had recently is considerably past its prime (to the extent they had any).

Not as knowledgeable on red Burgundy as others. I’ve only opened village wines for 14’s so far. Haven’t had a bad one yet. Unlike the 13’s which I found disappointing compared to 12’s. Looking back, going big on the14 Verdet closeout was one of the best deals I’ve gotten.

1 Like

The only ones I’ve enjoyed have been jadot/gagey CSD which was great.

I have one Lignier la riotte left which I imagine I should open sooner than later.

What’s the point in talking about how 97 wines are showing today when the point of the post was about early drinking pleasure? Now if you’re talking about 97 wines you had in the early 2000s that were terrible, that’s a different story.

i’ve had many a shut down 2014. 2013 on the other hand seems far more generous now

1 Like