Recommended Online Retailers

I know this has been reviewed in the past, but given the rapidly evolving online landscape, thought it was worth a re-visit. I have had great experiences with Benchmark Wines and SommSelect. I have used Blacksmith as well, but the stock is not always quite up to date. I just purchased a few bottles from CHAP4, but shipping is delayed given the cold weather, so I can’t say anything about them one way or another. What experiences have you all had?

I’ve purchased from CHAP4 several times and been satisfied - I can do local pickup here in Los Angeles, so can’t speak to shipping policies.

I’ve been happy with WineLibrary. They are consistently the lowest prices around, at least when compared to my market. Their free shipping is $100, so you need to buy at least 2 cases for it to be really cost effective. A couple of minor gripes:

1. inventory is live, but it lags. It does seem to be getting better
  2. interesting bottles get snapped up fast. They often come back around, but you need to check regularly. Not all that much different from your neighborhood store.

Also, WineAccess I think has exceptional customer service. They aren’t the lowest prices in town, but they’re fair.

I love K&L, but I think they have restricted shipping. Still, I live in MD and ship to a DC Fedex, and shipping is $95.10 for overnight priority shipping. Given that I pay no sales tax on the bottles and DC sales tax is 10%, it’s pretty much a wash between shipping and tax. The wine arrives by 10:30, I pick it up at 11, and it’s in my cellar by 11:30.

I’ve ordered many times from K&L including futures and never had an issue. If you call them their customer service is always friendly, knowledgeable and empowered. Also I find their shipping costs to be very fair. The insiders advantage mailing list often has some good deals on it.

I will give another rec for Full Pull up in Seattle especially for the locals who can do pickup. Shipping is about a day to Portland. We used to coincide with a return from friends north of the city. I gave up that drive sometime ago and the wife takes the train to and from Stanwood. I started buying when interested in WA wines and as they have taken on IT & FR brands, I have gone along for the ride. Sec is a local source for me and they take my shippers. I get my Cameron and Goodfellow from them and pick up along with the occasional mixed case of local, IT, FR and SP. Last Bottle gets some activity on IT with free shipping offers.

K&L looks great but unfortunately does not deliver to Connecticut. They used to, got a shipment of one bottle years ago, and then they stopped. Their shipping, for whatever reason, seems to change frequently. Very frustrating! Will check out WineAccess. Appreciate the recs so far!

I like JJ Buckley quite a bit. Reasonable private client pricing (and basically anybody that wants a client rep gets a client rep, you don’t need to spend a ton of money for it).

Props to both JJ Buckley- been buying from them for a long time and Aaron Diodato at Sokolin. Selection, pricing and most important customer service.

What do you like to drink? I buy old world AFWE wines from Chambers Street and Envoyer. The coupon deals at wine.com are sometimes worthwhile and you’d presumably hit the NY warehouse which seems a plus. I also second Wine Library.

Over tha past year I’ve tried to buy direct since wineries have lost restaurant and tasting room income.

Seems that a warning should be unnecessary but remember shipping. I now automatically add $4/bottle when considering Envoyer offers.

As long as the group is doing a refresh on this subject, care to give feed back/refresh on “on line” auction sites!?

ACME Fine Wines in St Helena is small but cutting edge karen, Lauren and the rest if the crew are great.

I first met Erin DiCostanzo when she worked there. Great place eclectic selection. Browse by wine type to find the biggest selection. There is still more in the store that isn’t listed on the website so if you don’t see what you are looking for shoot them an email.

Saratoga Wine and Chamber St. are the two I buy from most and have had good service. 2 day ground shipping to Virginia is nice too and makes it easier to extend the shipping season.

Wine Access is great. Not a traditional retailer with a ‘when it’s gone it’s gone’ policy. Decent prices and they have a ton of ways to save money. American Express offers, referral offers, 30% off $100 and free shipping at 6 bottles or $120

Get 50 off your first 150 if you sign up with my link below