Can I get the Soldera glass??

Hi everyone! There are a ton on threads on stemware here, and I love my GGG, Grassl Cru, Sophienwald, Zalto, Riedel Sommelier Hermitage, and Conterno Sensory stems – it’s fun to match the glass with the characteristics I expect from the wine and my own personal preferences. This has been reviewed ad nauseam here. I don’t need to rehash it =)

I’m look for something a little more specific. The late Gianfranco Soldera famously had his own wine glass designed specially for his wines, and he wouldn’t let anyone drink his wines in his presence using any other glass. A couple photos are below. The look similar to a typical, old-school Burgundy glass with a long stems and a super wide bowl. But I’m having a really difficult time finding a premium-quality glass that is similar. The closest thing I’ve found the Riedel Sommelier Montrachet, but it’s still not quite right – the blow isn’t quite a wide or as rounded in at the rim.

Does anyone have any suggestions of premium-quality glasses that might fit the bill? Or better yet – is there any way to get my hands on the real thing? Failing that, is there anyone who can make a custom-designed glass?

Sorry, can’t help with this specific glass but I do recommend the Conterno Sensory glasses. It’s very special.

1 Like

Have you written to Soldera? They still talk about the glasses on the web site - it would seem odd for them to make such a big deal about them but not have a way to make them available to customers.

I have – but haven’t heard anything back from them. We’ll see what happens!

Looks like a $5 glass with a thick rim and a small bowl.

I was thinking the same thing, but don’t have the experience to justify the opinion…

i think it really is the best one out there. need a glasvin version.

It is not something special in terms of Cristal / glass. It is the geometry which is suppose to be important.

Indeed Monica is not responsive at all, I use to buy from the winery excellar for my hotel and once Gianfranco passed, I contacted them for condolences. She told me that my allocation was not available from the winery anymore, my pro forms is cancelled and I had to buy my allocation from their importer in Bulgaria (We don’t live in Bulgaria nor the hotel is there), go figure.

Gianfranco was happy to share his glassware for free since he was insisting that the wine shall be drunk from these glass. Have you tried reaching out the US importer?

I am happy to send you a couple, if you pay the shipping ex Europe, however, I have to warn you that they are not worthy that cost.

1 Like

That would be amazing, thank you – I’m of course happy to pay the shipping from Europe and whatever you think is fair for 2 glasses! I’ll shoot you a direct message tomorrow (if I can figure out how) =)

I get that they’re probably not the best glasses out there – thick rim, etc. etc. But so much in wine is about the experience, and when you’re talking about a wine like Soldera, and the ethos that’s attached to that wine, there’s something that’s cool about drinking from this glass that transcends the technicalities of it.

I’m sorry to hear Monica has not been as accommodating since Gianfranco passed.

Check out glasses from Kimura in Japan. They have some similarish looking bowls, and ship worldwide for a reasonable fee

1 Like

Have you tried reaching out to Ikea?

2 Likes

Thanks Kyle! These are gorgeous – do you have experience with them? Do they feel as nice as they look?

Ikea’s wine glasses are quite a bit more functional than that. Nice wide bowl and narrow rim. Sure, the glass is thick, but it’s perfect for large parties when I don’t want to sacrifice my Grassl Crus. Hard to beat for £2.50 per.

We can do custom glasses! Email us at david@glas.vin

1 Like

You do clunky?

Haha if you want us to make it clunky…