TN: 1998 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Le Rocche del Falletto di Serralunga d'Alba

• 1998 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Le Rocche del Falletto di Serralunga d’Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (2/14/2021)
    On Lummi Island for the weekend. Extracted the cork and placed it lightly on the bottle opening just prior to an afternoon hike around the northern end of the island in the falling snow. On our return paired the wine with simple pasta 4.5 hours later. Translucent scarlet ruby hue. Nose of billowing but delicate rose petal, alpine flowers, strawberry, incisive tar, and camphor. Layers of strawberry, pure red plum, asphalt, balsam, and settled earth on the textured palate. Firm, fine-grained tannin relieved by beautiful, freshening acidity. Long finish of red grippy fruit hailing from a deep place. Gorgeous wine revealing elements of purity, power, and grace. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Beautiful wine Doug. Sadly , I have drink all mine.

Where is Lummi Island?

Jeremy,

It is just off the coast of Washington State, accessed via a 5-minute ride on a 20-vehicle ferry across Hale Passage. Lummi is the northeastern-most island in the San Juan Archipelago, and measures all of 2397 hectares.

Just the right spot for a great meal paired with such a wonderful wine on Valentine’s Day.

Cheers,
Doug

Sounds perfect.

Really nice note, Doug. And a perfect setting, I’m sure. Well done.

Thanks, Dennis. The snow certainly made things interesting, and, I believe, made the wine taste better.

Cheers,
Doug

Love Lummi Island - there was an amazing restaurant out there, The Willows Inn - not sure if it has survived the pandemic. The Giacosa sounds great.

Greg,

They are closed for the winter presently but will re-open in early April. We stayed there eons ago and discovered how beautifully mussels pair with Muscadet. The Giacosa was indeed ready and open, so I’ll be doing research on more '98s shortly.

Cheers,
Doug

What compass bearing did the cork have?
neener

The 1999 may be the best white label I have had

Love '98 Giacosa; Ken Vastola brought one to an offline and I started backfilling.

John,

Hah, good one. If I had placed the cork in a horizontal position, perhaps true north. In vino veritas borealis.

Mark,

I believe 1999 will prove to be the better vintage of this wine, but I have yet to crack one. I will have to remedy that soon.

Joshua,

The vintage is certainly open for business now. I’m no expert but the arc seems likely to be very long.

Cheers,
Doug