TN: 1995 J.L. Chave Hermitage

Drank this on Sunday night with terrific ribeye steaks, as we were snowed with 10 degree temps outside in Dallas. This was my last bottle of this one and also the best by far. Tasted great right out of the gate with very pretty red fruits and savory herbs, but had developed into a beautifully silky and elegant wine by the time we started consuming it with dinner a couple of hours later. Plum and cherry fruit, bacon, black olive, some pepper, sage and eucalpytus. A really bright and juicy acidity cements the finish on your palate (without crossing the line into being painfully tart). Relatively understated in a terrific (Burgundian) way, this is just in a beautiful phase and I wouldn’t seek to age it much longer for fear of missing out on what’s going on today. Drank the final remaining (slightly sediment-laden) ounce or two just before bedtime (about 5 hours after opening, and 2+ hours after consuming all but the “dregs”), and it was still in peak form. Certainly wish I had a few more bottles! Solid 96 points for me…

Still have one bottle of the '96 remaining, though historically (at least for me) it hasn’t been as good as the '95.

I had this a few years ago and had a similar experience. It was prob the best bottle to date and I’ve drunk over a case. It was great right on release and then shut down for so many years that it was very rewarding to open one and find it had re-emerged as such a fine and relatively mature Chave hermitage. Pretty much textbook why one buys and cellars Chave Hermitage rouge.

1 Like