Taking de Negoce for a test drive.

I met Cameron Hughes more than a decade ago, while I was writing for Snooth and he had just released his first wines under the Cameron Hughes Lot designate labels. He was a nice guy, pleasant though selling all the time, which is his game. I thought fairly highly of both him and his wines back then, and while the line was a success, it wasn’t quite a success for Cameron.

Fast forward to last year. Cameron Hughes pops back up on the scene with a new line of wines, and a new sales model. In light of an abundance of wine he was able to sign contracts for wines from the great 2018 vintage, coming from what we have been told are wineries selling these wines, or similar, for multiples of what is being asked for them. Lots of hints dropped, endless hours of internet sleuthing, and we have bulletin boards with the purported sources of these wines. What’s not to like.

For starters, the current wine scene in California, which has been guilty of a more is more homogenization of wine, particularly Cabernet Sauvignon. A second issue is the ridiculous pricing that seems to dominate the California wine scene, where there can be a huge disconnect between what a winery charges, and what a wine may actually be worth. Have you seen how many bottles of Napa cabernet routine beak the $100 mark? There is no guarantee of quality, regardless of price.

But still, Cameron has a good reputation. 2018 has a good reputation. California can make delicious Cabernets; and the prices asked for these wines were cheap, even more so in light of the fires that have greatly reduced the potential of the 2019 vintage.

I bought 10 cases in total, full cases being the only way to buy de Negoce wines, blind of course as no one had been able to taste these wines prior to purchase, and even when they were shipped consumers were cautioned that the were still in bottle shock and to expect the worst. Red flags if you ask me. So I slowed my buying, though truth be known there has been little that has been compelling to me since the great flurry of the first 3 months.

I made it a point to try what I had before committing to any additional purchases, and truthfully at the rate I consume Cabernet 10 cases will last a long time, so I should be set for the foreseeable future. But I still need to know what I’ve bought and how they stack up.

So I bought 4 wines off the shelf to add to the 8 de Negoce wines I had in my possession, to create a blind tasting that could not only offer some relative impressions of the de Negoce wines, but hopefully put them in context of the broader market of California Cabernets. The four wines I bought were roughly at the $20, $40, and $50 price points.

I tasted the wines blind, four times over the course of 2 days, and each time in a different order to prevent one wine from consistently impacting another. I had guests join me on the first day for dinner, so in order to give them an idea of what was in each bottle I identified each wine with a single, hopefully helpful word that encapsulated my initial impressions.

As you will see if you follow the tasting notes, some of the wines remained fairly consistent through the tasting period while others varied, sometimes significantly. It has been my experience that this variation is worth noting. Wines that improve over the course of a tasting like this generally improve over the course of years in the cellar, and conversely wines that degrade, generally do not age well. My final point score for each wine reflects both the cumulative tasting experience with each wine, as well as the general impression of ageability, though ageability has a minor role to play here.

So what happened? One of my favorite wines turned out to be the cheapest wine I bought for the tasting. The worst wine was the most expensive wine I bought for the tasting, so that didn’t help establish the parameters I was hoping for, but it did serve to reinforce the disconnect between pricing and quality when it comes to these wines. The de Negoce wines performed fairly well, certainly offering good or great value in most cases. However, as is the case with wine, price and consensus quality perceptions will not always match up with one’s personal preferences. My results with the de Negoce wines are a 75% success rate. To help illustrate the situation lets take a look at the wines and how I thought they stacked up.

First off, kudos to Daou. Their Paso Robles bottling of Cabernet was as good as any almost other wine in the line-up, readily available at or near the $20 price point it certainly established a high bar, even if it was priced at the very top of the de Negoce scale.

My top wine was the de Negoce Rutherford Cabernet #44, powerful, complex, with the fruit hiding but seemingly wonderfully ripe. Grouped with the Daou were the equally impressive if twice as expensive Turnbull Napa Cabernet and de Negoce’s Sonoma county Cabernet which was a touch rustic, belying its purported mountain roots, but full and complex and intense.

2018 de Negoce OG 44 Cabernet Sauvignon Rutherford, Napa Valley 14.3% $18 93pts

2018 Daou Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles 14.5% s $20 92pt
2018 de Negoce OG 68 Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County 14.5% $18 92pts
2018 Turnbull Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 14.3% $50 92pts

On the next level I found the de Negoce 66 Napa Valley Cabernet to be very well balanced, complete and very fine, though for current consumption both the 67 Santa Cruz bottling, with it’s attractive hint of pyrazine, and the 33 Alexander Valley bottling, which was so bright, juicy, red cherry fruited and delicious, to be the best wines for current consumption. I think many people might prefer the more powerful and rich de Negoce 64, or the structured Mount Veeder Cabernet, which has performed with admirable consistency over the years.

2018 de Negoce OG 66 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 14.6% $15 91pts

2018 Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 14.5% $40 90pts
2018 de Negoce OG 67 Cabernet Sauvignon Santa Cruz Mountains 13.8% $12 90pts
2018 de Negoce OG 33 Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley Sonoma County 14% $10 90pts
2018 de Negoce OG 64 Cabernet Sauvignon Calistoga, Napa Valley 15.6% $20 90pts

The final three wines from the tasting are wines that i would prefer to avoid. The most expensive, Darioush’s Caravan was basically an undrinkable mess. I see that it is well liked on cellartracker so perhaps this is a bad bottle, but I doubt it. I think there is a large market out there from wines I can’t drink, both on the modern, manufactured side as well as the naturalist side. The de Negoce 17 Napa Valley Cabernet came off as cheap and unattractive with sweet, syrupy fruit flavors and an unappealing raw woodiness. De Negoce 41 from St. Helena was a wine I had doubts about from the point of purchase due to its high alcohol, which admittedly was not intrusive in the wine; in the end though it was the wood treatment, 100% new oak, 100% barrel fermented that should be the wine’s downfall. Oaky and full of wood tannin, I have serious doubts about its ability to ever come into balance.

2018 de Negoce OG 41 Cabernet Sauvignon St. Helena Napa Valley 16.1% $19 87pts

2018 de Negoce OG 17 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 14.5% $12 80pts

2018 Darioush Caravan Napa Valley 15.5% $50 72pts

So that’s the deal. 6 out 8 wines were winners, and the average price, including delivery for these wines is well under $20 a bottle. Two of the best wines, insofar as they are already drinking well and have what I would say is a well defined path to maturity are the $10 and $12 Alexander Valley and Santa Cruz Mountain bottlings, which admittedly won’t please those looking for a full throttle Napa Valley experience but sure do taste good to me!

Will I buy more de Negoce wines? Probably not, but that’s not due to the results of this tasting. Having ten cases of 2018 Cabernet, about 7 of which are to my liking, sets me up nicely for the foreseeable future. I do like the variety that I bought as well, with a nice range of wines from light to powerful, and early drinking to cellar keepers. Cameron Hughes is good at what he does, but he’s no magician. He can’t create a line of wines which will appeal equally to every palate, and that is the trap some folks will fall into while buying excessively and blindly.

I am happy with what I have but the truth is I don’t need any more wines, and while that won’t prevent me from buying more wine, I think the only wines I really “need” to add to my cellar are wines from Oregon, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Come to think of it, I think I did notice a few of those on de Negoce recently. I also heard that Cameron will be opening more of a retail model allowing for less than by the case purchases, which would go some ways into further testing my buying moratorium resolve.

Uh oh.

Complete notes for each wine can be found here: de Negoce: Cabernet Sauvignon - Simply Better Wines

10 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Interesting read for me.

Looking forward to many other different types of tastings of de Negoce wines.

Like you said, wine is so very subjective, but there are many objective traits.

I liked the OG 17 for the price. Wouldn’t buy it again, as I still have many bottles and like you said, just so many de Negoce 2018 cabs. Still, I do plan on drinking my remaining OG 17s throughout the year.

16.1% alcohol??? If they cut the price to $16 or raised the alcohol to 19%, would this be like shooting your age in golf?

Greg,

We have mutual friends and I know that they respect your palate. And like you, I grabbed some cases of Cab (plus some PN and a Chard) and I’m not much of Cab drinker. However, I am curious about the bolded part: what exactly did you like about the wines that were bottled under Cam’s eponymous label? I tried them pretty early on (my first “lot” was in the low 30s IIRC) and while I enjoyed, I was also much earlier in my wine journey. I ended up trying maybe 2 dozen or more lots over the years (lots of singles from Costco) and I found the wines to be mostly anonymous, simple, and bigger than I preferred.

Are you saving the Darioush for when I come to visit?

Tom

I’ve only had Darioush wines a couple of times, and didn’t care for them either time too. Strangely pricey IMO.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on de Negoce. Personally I thought it was kind of a stretch buying cases totally blind, even with some knowledge of CH’s prior work.

N.17 has to be one of the most polarizing wines that dN has released. I found it to be quite balanced and more restrained than most Napa Cabernets. Maybe there is some extreme bottle variation going on? Reading the tasting notes on this forum and on CT, some people love it and some people hate it. It’s hard for me to understand the variance in experiences.

N.41 is quite awful though, and I’m sad that I have a case of it. I thought it would be something I could serve for guests as a fruit bomb crowd pleaser but it fails even at that.

Agreed. I didn’t find 17 to be syrupy at all and nicely balanced. It is strange the polarization.

Awesome write up - thanks for taking the time to do this.

What I didn’t see were your comprehensive notes that take into account how the wines ‘evolved’ or didn’t over the two days. Did I miss that?

Cheers

If you click on the external link provided in the original post (and then scroll down), you’ll get to the notes detailing the experience of each wine initially, 4 hours in, 6 hours in, and then on Day 2. Quite a fascinating read!

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi Corey,

I don’t remember which lot numbers I had, but like you they were very early as Cam was just starting out. The wines were, if memory serves well, all priced at or around $12. I was tasting too much wine around that price point back then and the Cameron Hughes wines struck me as good values. They were varietally correct, well balanced, dry, and drank well. I did not try many subsequent lots, just a few which were sent in as samples, so selected, but the wines always struck me as as good or better than their peers at their price points. At which price points anonymous, simple, and bigger are not necessarily pejorative!

1 Like

In fact I’m saving this exact bottle for you. It can only improve.

Thanks for sharing and happy to hear someone has finally dod this! I have my own taste test planned but it’s on hold until we can get together with family again, hopefully soon

Hey Greg - thanks for taking a flyer on the wines and for taking the time to do this (though I note you are selling your website here too amigo neener ).

I have to say what has struck me about these '18’s is that, even though they are now through bottle shock, they are definitely still swinging through a bottling adolescence, if you will, and there is a lot of submerged fruit right now. I posted my thoughts on the wines in the other DN threads.

I will never take issue with the inarguable sluttiness of N.41 (however, I should add that DN winemaker Mark, a total Burgundian Pinot/Chard nut from the central coast, absolutely loved N.41 and I strongly believe that wine will indeed coalesce beyond being a woody mess - only time will tell deadhorse) but I would ask that you come back in another 6 months and do the same exercise here again. I think it would be very informative for us all to revisit these wines with a professional writers viewpoint. I also think it would be eye-opening for you too to see the month-to-month (or maybe quarter-to-quarter) swings these wines take in the bottle which, in my experience, are typical in a high-quality vintage.

Oh, also, I see from other comments that there is some concern about bottle-to-bottle variation. I can tell you our QC process is quite robust and I strongly believe there is no variation with these wines, just the normal oscillations in the bottle.

Best,

cameron

1 Like

Hey Cam,

I was thinking of waiting a year before doing this again, and I have 2 additional cases to be shipped, but I’ll do this again in September/October. I am open minded in regards to how these wines will develop, they are of course still babies, and look forward to seeing what another few months can do. I will not however buy another bottle of that Darioush to use as a comparative.

1 Like

Great write up - thanks!

Agree with you on the #17. It does seem to be polarizing, but it is - by far - the worst De Negoce wine I’ve opened.

How large a run was bottling no. 17? Cam, was this bottled out of one tank or multiple tanks?

Cheers

I just checked out your website and some of your other reviews too - I appreciate all the scores in the 80s - but that are still positive reviews! A wine scoring in the upper 80s SHOULD be good - but that seems synonymous with bad wine to most people. I wish more reviewers would broaden their realistic ratings range (as has already been debated on other threads)

1 Like

Thanks Todd,

Glad you enjoyed what you read!

I started out when 88 was a really solid wine, not special, but at the appropriate price the perfect wine for many occasions. I love great wines, and special wine, but at the end of the day much of what I want to drink are wines that score in the high 80s. Just delicious wines that are easy to enjoy and don’t require deep pockets or too much ritual!