Pairing with Rayas?

Thinking of opening one in a couple of weeks–it’s the '08, so I don’t want anything too overwhelming. Maybe pheasant?

Thanks in advance!

i’ve been doing 24 hour sv lamb shank and it’s not only easy, but incredibly satisfying and would pair well with the rayas. the texture is much better than a traditional braise. serve with lentils, chick peas, roasted potatoes, whatever.

Try squab pigeon or rack of lamb, served pink. Or even a nice roast chicken or guinea fowl for that vintage.

I don’t know what’s overwhelming for a 2008 Rayas, but how about grilled lamb chops?

Provençal Lamb Daube

Well a lot of good suggestions already.
I think duck confit works fine with Reynaud’s wines.

I had the 08 in 2018. I cannot remember the food because I completely dissappeared in the wine.
It is amazing. I challenge anyone to find a better 08 in Rhone.

Standard pairings with CdP are lamb, duck and game. It works well with beef too, really. I expect your pheasant will be fine, but it is a little more delicate than ideal since by game, they mean venison, boar and the like.

FIFY champagne.gif

I would be tempted to just have it on its own to let the wine shine as best as possible. Such a ‘gentle giant’ of a wine - I’d be worried about overwhelming it.

Cheers

I agree entirely. It is the meal.

And no way would I pair this with lamb. I like lamb and CDP, but very powerful I think for a Rayas.

Well i am a big Northern Rhone fan. I only buy Reynaud’s wines from the South. One of my favorites in the North is Jamet. I had the 2008 Jamet in 2020. It didn’t even get close to Rayas :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, William, squab is a big favorite, so I might well go that route.

Thanks, Larry…usually when I do this, we go through @half the bottle before we get to the food, sometimes with light snacks. Perhaps it will be so darn good that we’ll just drink it all and have to open something else!

Not a great year in Northern Rhone. Now try the 98 and 99 Jamet. They are WOW wines. My favorite Jamets.

I’m not here to compare South vs North, with the difference in varietal make-ups. I’ve not had 2008 Rayas, but I’ve had Jamet’s 2008 CR which I’ve had at release, and have not had since as I am a big fan of aging them longer. In any case, have you had any of Allemand’s 2008?

Joshua,

In any event, please post your notes - and post ‘the journey’ this wine takes you on from start to finish. I am blown away but how these wines ‘evolve’ after opening, and it’s inspiring as someone who makes wine to experience such singular expressions of a variety I adore so much.

Cheers.

1 Like

I have not tasted Allemand in 08. I have actually only tasted Allemand in 2011 and 2016. But just bought a 1999!

I have not had 98 or 99. But I have had 95, 96 and 97. And yes they can be absolutely amazing. The first 97 i had two years ago was a perfect bottle at its perfect stage (for me). One of the best wines i have ever had (i am rather young, so my experience is limited).

But now i am getting off-topic. I should never have baited… sorry :grin:

That’s a rather extreme generalization! Roasted saddle or rack of lamb are as far from pieds paquets as tenderloin is from oxtail. And all the herb and spice aromas of the Rayas are just a wonderful match with lamb at its most delicate!

The 1997 is so delicious! That’s the one I would be drinking now, if I had any left.

1 Like

I’ve been scolded! Back to the swamps of Florida for you, country boy!

WTF is a pied paquets!? Sounds illegal. I’ll take one.

1 Like