TN: 1984 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Martha's Vineyard

• 1984 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Martha’s Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (2/14/2021)
    Poured into a decanter and consumed over 2 hours. First taste immediately after decant. Crimson color. Soaring red currant, cedar, eucalyptus and just a touch of mustiness. This is really singing. Palate is very Burgundian, lithe and balanced with gentle caressing tannins framed with nice acid and some grip on the finish.

After 2 hours the wine is still magnificent; the nose has lost its mustiness and the palate developed more of a cranberry element. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I had this like 15 years ago - it was unforgettable

I own a few of these since it’s my sister’s birth year and have opened a bunch for her more milestone years given the paucity of good 1984s. The good ones are great, but sadly storage is an issue. Let’s just say I don’t own them because our parents put them away when we were born :slight_smile:

Agreed. I got lucky buying a stash of 70s and 80s Heitz Martha’s 10 years ago, from of all places . . . Premier Cru. All appear to be extremely well stored, fills into the neck, no signs of mold or seepage around the cork.

They were priced from $80 to $140 based on the vintage, this 84 was $110. Great value for the provenance and the fact that these wines reward aging and continue to show well. The 75 and 78 have both been my favorites from the lot, but this 84 really delivered.

Haha, that’s some great luck. Mine came from one source too, and are in good but not spectacular shape. When on, it’s a great wine.

Classic Cali wine!

We used to go to Napa for release day, which we called Wine New Year.

Caymus, Groth, Silver Oak, and Heitz.

This was the 1st Heitz Martha’s Vineyard that I tasted, courtesy of my late Uncle Bill, over 20 years ago. It paired beautifully with a Leg of Lamb. Glad your bottle showed well!