TN: 2 red Burgs

what a contrast. First up, 1993 Clavelier Brûlées VV, then 01 Anne Gros Clos Vougeot le Grand Maupertui. Clavelier’s wine was gorgeous, sous bois and red fruits, with some dark fruits intertwined, tannins resolved, good acidity, spice, beautiful silky texture, just super aged red Burgundy. Gros’ wine was dark in color, a pretty nose of dark fruits, powerful, very Cabernet-like, heavy-handed, oak visible, tannic, kind of plodding. Comparing the two is like comparing a Clydesdale to a thoroughbred. Give me the Clavelier any day.

2 Likes

Great note! Thank you.

Thanks! Does the style of Anne Gros still lean this way in more recent vintages?

someone else will need to opine. I’ve had only a couple and they’ve been heavy handed like this. Not a producer I now follow.

Interesting, Alan!

I have avoided A.F.Gros/Parent for these reasons (though this may have recently changed); I have never had Anne, though I thought she performed somewhat better–and Clos Vougeot somehow seems to evoke this sort of treatment. (Reminds of an H. Boillot I tried recently, which was in addition, shut down.) With you on Clavalier.

Agree, Alan. I sold all my Anne Gros wines years ago after similar experiences and have not bought again. That said, I haven’t tried any in at least 5 years, so have no recent data points.

I know which wine I would rather drink. And amazingly, it did not come with a point score. So much for the 100 point system. Maybe we just need to insist on better tasting notes?

forgot the points. Using the Zanotti binary scale, 1 for Clavelier and 0 for Gros, 1 meaning worth drinking and 0 meaning not.

Great notes
I adore 93s.
(Lots of 01s too)

Not sure how the A.F Gros style compares to Gros F & S, but I have a few bottles of the latter that I am not jumping out of my skin to open.

Thanks for the notes Alan.

friends,

Anne Gros’ CLOS VOUGEOT GRAND MAUPERTUI heavyhanded? Not in my opinion. it is often one of the best CV’s around and sometimes outshines her RICHEBOURG. I am a customer ever since the 91 vintage. Only skipped the 2017 vintage because i feared they would be too light. Since they often put on weight afterwards this may have been a mistake. Last weekI had the ECHZEAUX 2009 and thought it was a delight (as was the 2008). Always like her ECH.

SINCERELY JOHAN