TN: 2003 Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande

Having read several CT notes that this 2003 Pichon Lalande was more akin to a super-ripe Napa Cab than a traditional Left Banker, I was pretty unsure what to expect when I opened it. But wow! I thought it was fabulous and certainly not overripe or lacking any Paulliac typicity. The only thing it seemed to be missing based on my extremely limited experience with PLL is that subtle herbal/green streak that sounds off-putting until you actually taste it. Other than that, I thought this was outstanding. My note from last night, when my wife and I enjoyed this during a record-breaking Seattle snowfall:

2.5 hour decant. Deep garnet red. Nose absolutely exploding out when I poured from decanter back into the bottle. Nose: lavender, perfumed flowers, black cherry, citrus, petrol/brine, soy sauce. Palate: oh my. Sumptuous blackcurrant, black cherry, earth, leather, savory herbs, saline. Super-plush, rich midpalate where the dark fruit hits. Soft, integrated tannins and just enough acidity to keep it lively on the palate. Savory finish that goes and goes. I just want to keep drinking this! 94+
PLL 2003.jpg

Sounds like a great way to weather the storm [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note-I’ve got a few 375’s of this that we need to get to.

Pretty hard to beat watching the snow dump on your front yard while sipping on a wine like this.

Thanks for sharing your tasting note; sounds like it showed well, and glad you enjoyed it!

I remember how controversial this was on release. I think they stepped up the petit verdot in the blend?

1 Like

I know the 2000 Pichon Lalande had an extra dollop of Petit Verdot, which some tasters felt added an objectionable green streak to that wine. I’ve always loved the 2000 Pichon Lalande, which for my tastes, has only gotten better with time.

Great note on a really well made 2003 left banker. I’ve gone through a few bottles of the 03 PLL, and agree its one of the better wines from that difficult vintage. A fun tasting is to pair it with 03s from Montrose, Cos and a big Napa ringer like Shafer. We did this and most in my tasting group could easily pick out the Shafer.

Had tasted 03s from Montrose and Cos during respective producer verticals. Easily picked out the 03s.

Some drift here… but I just had a really delicious bottle of the 2003 Lanessan. By and large I’ve given up on 2003 claret, but the good ones like Calon Segur, Montrose, Duhart Milon, Pontet Canet, are really enjoyable to drink these days.

If I ran a winery, our slogan might be something like “Bring on the green!” or “Pyrazines will set you free”.

I’d be your biggest customer if that was the case!

Great note!

I love this wine, in general!

IIRC it has 14% Petite Verdot!