1978 Charles Krug Cabernet Sauvignon ‘Special Selection’

Definite but not excessive brown in the mostly medium garnet color. The aromas have ripe red fruit, a medley of raspberry, cherry and currant, clearly showing age but no ‘dead leaf’ character.
The palate is soft, aged, but pleasant, there is little vigor here but it is polite and subtle, with intricacies that develop through the mid palate. As it opens, it gains some strength and definition. This was never a great wine, but my last bottle is a good one on a cold night in Maine with meat loaf, local potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts with parmesan. Rated 84 on opening, 88.5 as it airs.

Dan Kravitz

Well, reading your note was awesome!

I can imagine the pairing!

1 Like

Thanks for the note Dan. It’s nice to see when bottles like this hold up this long.

Had the 75 a few years back, was great

Sounds like my kind of 100 pointer. You are being a bit stingy on the marks there Dan.

1 Like

In the 1984, as a 21 year-old, I bought a lot of this one, as well as the 1974 from my local Liquor Barn.

Thanks for posting this, very interesting to me since I got a case of this wine in very good condition (9 bottles have fills into the neck) at a reasonable price from the recent Phelps cellar auction. I probably overdid it since I doubt I can drink a case before the wine is completely shot. But I figured I was getting a piece of history and one rarely sees decent well stored 1970s California Cabs for an affordable price any more. Good to know that the wine is still alive.

Ooooh. Now you are making me want to roast some brussels with shallots/balsalmic.

Thanks to all who commented, I especially appreciate snark.

Marcus, this last bottle was bottom-neck fill. I would drink anything below neck-fill pretty quickly and wouldn’t wait on the others.
Why can’t you drink a case before the wine is shot? That’s a bottle a month! OK, if you want to skip summer, the good fills should still be good in fall 2022.

Dan Kravitz