TN: Virage 2016 Cab Franc Rose (short boring)

Mint and rose on the nose. Light acidity, well balanced. Good weight to it. Went great with peppers and sausages as well as a vanilla cake with chocolate ganache. Not a hot summer patio sipper, but a well rounded wine. Definitely recommend.

If you must make me assign points: 91

A rose’ went with vanilla cake and chocolate ganache? Do tell more, as I have 3 bottles, of this on the way.

Yeah, I was surprised too. It just had enough weight (mid-palate, overall mouth-feel) to not distract and the moderate acidity was just right. Even with the sausages (some herbal and some spicy), the wine just nicely complemented, no competing flavors or weird off-flavors that sometimes happen when wine and food mix.

The cake itself was the cake-leveler off cuts held together by the leftover ganache (a teaser for the main even today). My wife has been watching that British Baking Show and has been trying a lot of new recipes. This one had whole vanilla bean and the ganache was a tad on the bitter chocolate side – so not overly sweet but still a dessert.

This rose really does work well with sausages. I made the mistake of having coleslaw as a side, which didn’t work great. Next time I’ll try a Mediterranean grain salad, which should work a lot better.

I’m a fan.

Here too … a wonderful wine with food or simply to enjoy throughout an evening.