Napa recs for lover of cooler climate wines

Hi everyone- I have a friend who insists that Napa Cabs are the greatest wines on the planet and of course so many people go nuts for them. I haven’t explored them in depth because I have typically not been a fan of the big extracted Napa style, and the high prices dissuaded experimentation. I like to keep an open mind, and I was wondering what Napa recommendations you might have for someone like me who enjoys cooler climate Pinot and Chardonnay, Bordeaux, Alsatian and German wines. The only “big” wines I enjoy regularly are heritage vineyard zinfandels and field blends; although not the typical profile I prefer, I maintain a soft spot for these. I’d love to try something that captures the spirit of the Napa terroir without being a dark fruited oak bomb (and preferably cost $100 or less). I’m interested in Cabernet, which seems the best place to start simply bc of popularity, but would love to hear about other recs as well for Merlot, Petit Sirah, blends, whatever…Thanks!

Matthiason?

Like you say, that’s really not Napa’s forte. Unfortunately, they pretty much all follow the same model there. But Steve Mathiasson is perhaps one you could try - he’s always made thoughtful wines. I also think that Turley’s Cab is pretty elegant for Napa, although I wouldn’t call it light. If you’re willing to jump over the ridge to Sonoma, I think Enfield’s Whitehorse Ranch Cab is in that style. Amazing wine, and my favorite Cab I drank in last year.

Lagier Meredith fits your criteria perfectly. Specialty is Syrah, but they also have small amounts of Malbec, Zinfandel, and Mondeuse. All estate mountain top vineyard, farmed and made by two of the most experienced, knowledgeable, nicest people around.

This.
https://enfieldwine.vinespring.com/purchase/detail?item=2018-hennessey-ridge-cabernet-sauvignon

John’s Sonoma Coast Cab is stunning, but his 18 Napa Hennessey Ridge Cab is to the moon. One of the best young Napa cabs I have ever had. I think it clocks in at $90 and goes out to his list next week.

3 Likes

You should check out DiCostanzo’s Coombsville offerings- they make a Farella as well as Caldwell that are delicious. A slightly higher price point at around $125, but worth it.

1 Like

Old Sonoma cabs, like Laurel Glen, Jordan, etc [cheers.gif]

Corison

I’ve had a grand total of one bottle, 2016 Lagier Meredith Syrah, and this is the exact answer I would give. Only Napa red wine I’ve ever had that exhibited cool climate fruits and acid profile. If I was looking for others, I’d focus on elevation of vineyard going as high as possible off the valley floor.

I second the Enfield recommendation. Also Riverain’s Tench Vineyard Cab. It would be at the top of this price range, but stunning stuff that’s not “tricked out” like so many Napa cabs.

1 Like

I never really found Lagier Meredith to be that “cool climate”, yes it’s not ripe beefed up stereotypical California syrah but not quite cool either, sort of in the middle.

For Syrah, I would say Copain post-2008 and Halcon stand out as very cool climate styled.

Weather is what it is. Try cooler sites like Coombsville and producers that pick a little earlier like Corison and Frogs Leap. You might also like old school mountain producers which, while they produce very powerful wines, aren’t the heavily extracted, 2 years in 100% new oak types. Look at Smith Madrone, Ritchie Creek, Mayacamas, Togni, etc.

For a splurge, Dominus has a more old world style and is consistently excellent.

Hendry is in the southern part of Napa and gets a lot of the cooling effect of the San Pablo Bay. I think their cabs come in at 12-13% ABV and definitely are a cooler style. You could try any of their wines really.

Frog’s Leap and Corison are other Cab producers that pick earlier and/or make more of a cooler, old world style. I think Macaymas falls in that camp as well.

As a more general recommendation, you can look at a lot of the mountain producers, which in my experience tend to exhibit brighter, redder fruit profiles compared to those on the valley floor.

Had a 09 Togni last night that would fit the bill. Also would recommend Beta Vare and second the recommendation for Di Costanzo. Haven’t had one in a long time but White Rock also.

Another vote for John Lockwood’s Enfield Wine Co.

This topic has been bounced around a bit lately. My favorite 4 that fit this profile

Di Costanzo
Frog’s Leap
Calluna - Sonoma
Long Meadow Ranch- reminds me of Napa from the 90’s. Plenty of fresh fruit but lower alc, oak and extraction. Beautiful Rutherford wines

Beta- bought have not tried and probably won’t for a few more years

Togni is another really good call.

They aren’t. neener

There’s a number of posts on the 2013 Sky Zinfandel from Mt. Veeder, which sounds right up your alley if you don’t want big, jammy wines. Try some of the Napa Cabs from producers in the mountain areas, not the valley floor. You usually get more structure and less flab up there.

I’m not in disagreement, but then those aren’t Napa :wink:

Virage and Frog’s Leap were the first two that came to mind. I enjoy both and they remind me of the more restrained style of Bordeaux.