A new Washington winery find: Virtue Cellars (TN: 2018 Virtue Cellars Fortitude (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley))

I receive emails from Washington Wine Report, Sean Sullivan’s wine blog. He’s also now working at Wine Enthusiast and reviews Washington wines, amongst others I think. A recent article (Shoreline gem offers virtue, value | Sean P. Sullivan - Washington Wine Report Note: Site has moved to www.northwestwinereport.com) caught my attention, partially for the great reviews and the neat store, but also the corresponding prices on the wines. So, I grabbed a few to taste and opened one last night. Give them a try…I really enjoyed this. Note: I have zero interest in this winery…I’m just stoked about a relative newcomer and a new find for me.

• 2018 Virtue Cellars Fortitude - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/12/2021)
    Not decanted, served in GlassVin stems. I largely agree with Sean Sullivan’s review here and, frankly, I hadn’t heard of this winery before reading about it on Washington Wine Report. Glad I did! This is made with 100% whole berry fermentation and sees no new oak, only used barrels. Very pretty aromas showing red and black cherry with an interesting sagebrush-like note(?) in there too. Very poised and balanced on the palate. Great fruit, and tannin is minimal in the sense that it’s ready to go now. In a brief chat with Kevin Mueller at pickup, they really don’t add anything to the juice (no tanning powder, no acid, etc.) and it shows in this wine with its lovely transparency, if that makes sense. A steal at $24. I’ll be buying more from this place. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This is from the pickup…looks like they might be due for some more space! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Hmm, sounds like a potential BD recruit for next year!

Brandon also follow Sean Sullivan and feel like he gets wine reviewing. Not throwing out the 98 point scores like so many others. Wonder what they do with all those samples they get? Surely they don’t drink them all.

I know where Sean lives and I siphon off his kitchen sink drain. Never have to buy any Cayuse or anything else. An occasional noodle clogs the siphon.

I know where Sean lives and I siphon off his kitchen sink drain. Never have to buy any Cayuse or anything else. An occasional noodle clogs the siphon.

Well played!

I agree. Seems like play it pretty consistently and conservatively. I bought some Liminal after reading his praise.

I was going to order some, after your review and reading the Washington report you linked, but as best as I can tell, it’s local pickup only.

Just FYI, I emailed them, and they do indeed ship.

What varieties are used in this wine?

Some of their wines are already sold out. I bought a couple bottles each of Fortitude, Unity, Charisma.

Always happy to check out a small, well-reviewed (and affordable!) winery.

This specific wine was 48% Merlot, 27% Cabernet Sauvignon and 25% Malbec. Fruit sources are Olsen Vineyard (which I’m familiar with) and Solaksen Vineyard (never heard of it).

Did you ever get to trying any of these? Curious to know what you think.

It looks like they are having a release party today and tomorrow. I might check it out.

I have opened one bottle a couple months ago, and thought it was really good - but don’t recall which bottle, and have no specific TN, so not very helpful. Sorry. I do recall liking it though!