TN: Tuesday Dinner - Raveneau & Clos Rougeard (w/ pics)

TUESDAY DINNER - RAVENEAU & CLOS ROUGEARD - Rustico - Thousand Oaks, CA (2/9/2021)

First wine dinner in quite some time. This was my 2nd time going to Rustico and their food hasn’t disappointed. Colleague of mine is friends with the owner who brought up a number of dishes and didn’t charge us for corkage. Looking forward to going back.

• 2008 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Needed some time to open up, but once it did it was gorgeous. Salty, precise, and complex with electric citrus tones. The body was deep and textured with the salty minerals and lime tones. Just lovely. (96 pts.)
  • 2013 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur-Champigny - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny
    Drank alongside the 2014. Aromas of bell pepper, underbrush, and tobacco. Palate was textured and deep. The tobacco was really nice and mingled with red fruits. Great balance, should age for a long time - a vintage to watch. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur-Champigny - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny
    Drank alongside the 2013. The 2013 was noticeably more lush/textured, but this had more earthy notes which i liked. Palate was characterized by cranberries and pomegranates. Good underbrush/tobacco notes, too. A great wine that should age really well. \ (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Really interesting side by side comparison of the 13 and 14. 14 is the “heralded” vintage, but I have to say I’ve loved the 13 the couple of times I’ve had it.

If I am not mistaken, there was no Les Poyeaux in 2013 and it was all blended into the Les Clos (regular Samur). Maybe that is why the 2013 had a little more oomph? Or the 2014 just needs to age a bit more. Glad to have both. HUGE pic though :slight_smile:

so close but so far

1 Like

xoxo [drinkers.gif]