1999 Beaux Freres BF Vineyard

I have an opportunity to purchase a few of these at a discounted price, any thoughts on how its aged? BF is one of my favorites but haven’t had anything with more than 10 years of age let alone 20.

Welcome all thoughts.

Sure, I had some notes on here from a Beaux Freres tasting in October 2020 where I contributed a 1999 BF BF Pinot and 2006 BF BF Pinot to a horizontal of 2009 BF WV, BF BF and BF UT Pinots. They were all very young even after being open for 4-5 hours before the tasting and throughout the night. If I remember correctly, I think that the 1999 BF BF was my favorite of the bunch. Depending on storage conditions and price, it should be a good opportunity to check out aged Oregon Pinot.

1 Like

Want to share?

Sure, I still have a few bottles of 1999 BF BF Pinot and other releases from BF.

I know, I know. Just playing along…

Haven’t had the '99, but can give you a couple other older BF data points from the last couple years. Had two bottles of the '03 BF Vineyard, one of which was good and the other of which was very good (I gave it 92 points) but fell off with time in glass. Also had three bottles of the '05 Willamette Valley which I rated 92-94, with the last bottle being one of the top three Oregon pinots I’ve had. If you know the bottles have been well-stored, I would say go for it. If provenance is suspect, I would pass.

1 Like

The ‘99 BF was my favorite iteration at the time. Makes sense to me now being neighbors and farming on the same hillside. The ‘99, IMO, was the most elegant and focused of the small number of BF bottlings in existence at the time. It still had great presence and concentration but it was more than just muscular, powerfully dense fruit and structure. I particularly liked it back in the day and felt like it would do extremely well with time. I’ve seen how the vines in RR evolve and change as they age and how that broadens the wines. It seems to me this was the first noticeably refined version of the BF bottling. I still think that this bottling of theirs (now called BF BF Vineyard) is still their top wine. If you can be assured of good storage over this long stretch I would think it could be a great catch.

I bought a case on release. I drank my last bottle in the past year and it was outstanding. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a few bottles at a good price if the bottles were well cared for over the years.

Cheers,

Hal

2 Likes

Last bottle I had in 2011-2012 time frame was delicious but at peak IIRC (pre Cellar Tracker notes for me).
Not sure I’d buy a case now, but would be intrigued to see how a bottle or two held up.

I would have no issues buying a case of well stored 1999 BF BF Pinot, but I guess that I’ve had good fortune with 1999 Oregon Pinots. 1999 Torii Mor Balcombe Pinot was fantastic last Friday night and I’m glad that I have a few more bottles. Full disclosure, I enjoy the characteristics of aged Pinot.

Someone asked about Beaux Freres in a different thread a few weeks ago and I recommended that the OP contact Jim Anderson at Patricia Green. Nice to see Jim A. post here. Anyway, PGC has a library release available on their website and they are neighbors with BF. Hard to go wrong with a cellar release from PGC. Just sayin…

Update: got a bunch of these. Opened last night. Amazing. Great condition with that classic Ribbon Ridge Profile.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I am officially a fan of the pre 2000 Oregon Pinots. Need to find more…

Can’t continue to thank you enough for your words and guidance. Opened this last night, and was impeccable. Gotta find more of the 20 year pinots :slight_smile: