TN: 1978 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Montefico

• 1978 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Montefico - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (2/10/2021)
    The prior tasting note is spot on. This is a treat; well aged Barbaresco, simply amazing in the glass. Reading up, I decanted for 3 hours in advance. Fair amount of sediment so double decant to reduce that with varying filtering means. Wide base decanter left out for room temp from cellar conditions; hazy garnet in the glass with some browned orange at the brim. Still quite opaque. Nose was tight when popped. Hours later it was singing when I poured a glass. Rose petals, cherries, red background fruit, light tar, sandalwood, and maybe the most pure cigar box aroma I have ever experienced. I inhaled alone for like 30 minutes. The front leads with cherries that start pure then lean to tart moments in, blood orange well stated, an iron meaty component, touches of vanilla mint. Lush mouthfeel. Throughout, medium slight-plus acidity. Tannins are soft and subtle in texture, supportive, underlying a short delicate finish as expected for the age. Its all super well integrated, balanced; just a sonnet that you don’t want to end. When it does, its just lingers in your mind as wow. Great night drinking with friends virtually.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note! The longevity of Produttori de Barbaresco is truly remarkable. Devolving to sweet brown liquid is far in that '78’s future.

1 Like

My eyes must be playing tricks on me, the TN is for a 1978, but the photo shows a 1990 [scratch.gif] Either way, I’ve always wanted to try both of these vintages, have a 89’ Montefico tucked back in storage for a special night. Glad to hear the wine was showing well. I’ve had some bad experiences with older PdBs, but they’re on, they’re incredible.

Photo is probably a Cellar Tracker image, not the OP’s.

Your Note is so sensual and visceral, Rich, that I’m getting a little emotional…

1 Like

This was on. I always have a moment of pause with anything over 30. Sometimes you get that oxidized aroma moment right after the cork is pulled and it dances in your head that something is wrong. It blew off fast, I let it sit, and it really came together to shine.

Cork was in relatively good shape, that helped. Slightly distended out, but the top third was perfect while the bottom third came apart. Not a shocker there.

Its the next day and it was a near religious experience. Great bottle.

And Brady was spot on, it was stock from CT, they don’t always have the exact vintage associated. I should upload a pic of this one now that I think about it.

Thanks for the great note. That’s a pretty special wine. Much appreciated.

Very great note and thanks for the share. I’m doing my first older Produttori later this month for a dinner, the 70 rabaja riserva. I appreciate your sharing your decanting regimen as well; had heard that a few hour double decant really makes a positive difference with these wines–and I am still nervous giving a 50 year old wine that kind of air!!! But am planning to do just that. Hope my bottle can hit some of the same notes your 78 hit, sound like a home run.