What Patricia Green Cellars are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Pat K

Re: What Patricia Green Cellars are you drinking?

#51 Post by Pat K »

2014 Berserkers' Cuvee. Had several, each enjoyable. Wondering if a Berkserkers' will ever be offered again.

Cheers!

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by R M Kriete »

Pat K wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:08 am 2014 Berserkers' Cuvee. Had several, each enjoyable. Wondering if a Berkserkers' will ever be offered again.

Cheers!
Definitely not a 2020 version.

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

R M Kriete wrote: May 4th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Pat K wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:08 am 2014 Berserkers' Cuvee. Had several, each enjoyable. Wondering if a Berkserkers' will ever be offered again.

Cheers!
I hinted around at the idea of another Berserkers' Cuvee, but it hasn't gone anywhere. My 3 remaining bottles (2 from 2013 and 1 from 2014) are squirreled away.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Patrick T a y l o r wrote: May 4th, 2021, 9:21 pm

Cheers!
I hinted around at the idea of another Berserkers' Cuvee, but it hasn't gone anywhere. My 3 remaining bottles (2 from 2013 and 1 from 2014) are squirreled away.

I think the idea was that Jim was passing along the challenge to some other producers in the forum to share in the process. I know I was VERY excited to get my Goodfellow Family Cellars Berserkers' Cuvee this past go around. I like the idea of different producers taking up the challenge. Plus, once you know you like the wines of PGC or other producers that have done this...then it's more fun to explore all of what they offer.

The idea of getting to taste a wine from a producer that they are proud of (that's my assumption) and think the forum will enjoy enough to make it worthy of the Berserkers' Cuvee seems like a great way for people to get to know different wineries & their style.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Kirk.Grant wrote: May 5th, 2021, 5:11 am

I think the idea was that Jim was passing along the challenge to some other producers in the forum to share in the process. I know I was VERY excited to get my Goodfellow Family Cellars Berserkers' Cuvee this past go around. I like the idea of different producers taking up the challenge. Plus, once you know you like the wines of PGC or other producers that have done this...then it's more fun to explore all of what they offer.

The idea of getting to taste a wine from a producer that they are proud of (that's my assumption) and think the forum will enjoy enough to make it worthy of the Berserkers' Cuvee seems like a great way for people to get to know different wineries & their style.
That makes perfect sense.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Diane Kessler »

Jim Anderson wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:03 pm
Patrick T a y l o r wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:50 pm
Kirk.Grant wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 3:52 pm

Wow, did you order the 2008 Singularity? Or was that Jim's gift to you? So very cool to get to try something like that.
The Singularity was Jim's gift. Will be scouring Cellartracker to see when and how folks decide to drink it.
Pretty sure there won’t be any notes. Maybe 1. From someone who got it through this and drank it. Not sure if it went to Cellartracker. No one else has it so there won’t be any info.

My note is there. I entered it into CT when I received it. I loved it and would say drink it now. I would add here that a remaining glass may have been even better the following day.

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Vince T »

Popped a 2005 Estate from the Library Release tonight. What a doozy. I wish I had a case of this.
  • 2005 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (6/7/2021)
    From this year's PGC Cellar release. Color is cloudy magenta, showing a bright nose of cherry liquor. Starts off a bit acetic and sharp, but this blows off quickly. Underneath, there's a muscular core of ripe cherry fruit, fairly full bodied for OR fruit, lustrous silky texture like the 2004, but also showing more complexity - ferrous earth, wild strawberry, dries roses, and peony. Exotic undertones of longan or other musky tropical fruit. Long ass finish. A remarkable wine. (94 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
T s 3 n g

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Kirk.Grant »

I opened a 2019 EOV the other night & I’m very happy to set the remaining bottles deep in the cellar.

Siun o'Connell
BerserkerDay Council
BerserkerDay Council

#59 Post by Siun o'Connell »

James Dennis wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 5:04 pm I’m enjoying the 2018 Muscat Ottonel. Exactly as advertised on Berserker Day. Wonderful summer sipper. Probably one of the only dry domestic Muscats I’ve ever had. It will be added to the summer rotation.
Drinking it up too quickly ... may need more to get through the summer! What a happy satisfying wine that everyone I share a glass with loves. Great with food or just sipping by the lake now live on.

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by MikeHill »

2001 Patricia Green Bonshaw from library release

Garnet color, moderate bricking. Beautiful aromatics. On the nose and palate, pomegranate, cherry, cranberry, earthy notes. Still vibrant, lovely balance between dense red fruit and savory sous bois. Silky mouthfeel. So good, bravo!

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Family gathering...time to check in on a few from the stash

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Mattstolz »

Kirk.Grant wrote: May 5th, 2021, 5:11 am

I'm still hoping someday we get a collab wine from Oregon board members.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#63 Post by Jim Anderson »

MikeHill wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 11:22 pm 2001 Patricia Green Bonshaw from library release

Garnet color, moderate bricking. Beautiful aromatics. On the nose and palate, pomegranate, cherry, cranberry, earthy notes. Still vibrant, lovely balance between dense red fruit and savory sous bois. Silky mouthfeel. So good, bravo!
Glad when stuff from the Way Back Machine works out well.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by MikeHill »

Jim Anderson wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 10:55 am
MikeHill wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 11:22 pm 2001 Patricia Green Bonshaw from library release

Glad when stuff from the Way Back Machine works out well.
Excited to have another in the cellar. I only discovered PGC a couple of years ago, and although I drink the young stuff, every time I have one of your bottles with age, I’m convinced I need to let them sleep. So the library release was huge for me!

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Kirk.Grant »

We opened a 2008 Etzel Block with family tonight and it was beyond words how great it was with the salmon. I’m seriously kicking myself for not buying more aged bottles…but also seriously excited the have as many 2019s as I do

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#66 Post by Jim Anderson »

Kirk.Grant wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 7:27 pm We opened a 2008 Etzel Block with family tonight and it was beyond words how great it was with the salmon. I’m seriously kicking myself for not buying more aged bottles…but also seriously excited the have as many 2019s as I do
Nice. Thanks! Having salmon tonight myself. Wild caught right off the coast. Going white wine though. Heretic I realize.

Glad that 08 performed. Just had a little mini Singularity vertical at the winery yesterday. 12, 13 and 16.

Michael Hodgins
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#67 Post by Michael Hodgins »

2005 Etzel Block (from library release) last night --and it was fantastic!

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#68 Post by Jim Anderson »

Michael Hodgins wrote: July 4th, 2021, 8:26 am 2005 Etzel Block (from library release) last night --and it was fantastic!
If 2005 happened now (cool but long season allowing for picking deep into a mild and occasionally sprinkly October) there would be a plethora of astounding wines made in Oregon. We haven’t had a 2005 since, well, 2005. Yields were crap though so I’m not sure I would want to sign up for that vintage again.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Jim Anderson wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 7:51 pm
Kirk.Grant wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 7:27 pm We opened a 2008 Etzel Block with family tonight and it was beyond words how great it was with the salmon. I’m seriously kicking myself for not buying more aged bottles…but also seriously excited the have as many 2019s as I do
Nice. Thanks! Having salmon tonight myself. Wild caught right off the coast. Going white wine though. Heretic I realize.

Glad that 08 performed. Just had a little mini Singularity vertical at the winery yesterday. 12, 13 and 16.
Jim, I’m curious. What is the singularity like? I would imagine if each year you make a selection based on the “best barrel” some years it could be red fruited, and other years more dark fruited. Do you find that it “jumps” from vineyard or AVA year to year?

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#70 Post by Jim Anderson »

Kirk.Grant wrote: July 4th, 2021, 12:16 pm

Jim, I’m curious. What is the singularity like? I would imagine if each year you make a selection based on the “best barrel” some years it could be red fruited, and other years more dark fruited. Do you find that it “jumps” from vineyard or AVA year to year?
Ahhh. That’s like a state secret, man!

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Jim Anderson wrote: July 5th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Gotcha!

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#72 Post by Jim Anderson »

Kirk.Grant wrote: July 5th, 2021, 3:27 pm
Jim Anderson wrote: July 5th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Gotcha!
Kidding.

We started doing the bottling in the 2001 vintage when we found a couple of barrels that really resonated with us. Each year, after months of tasting through and seeing stuff develop, we would have a small handful of barrels that just struck that chord in us for whatever reason. We would come up with some 15-20 gallon TOTAL blend of usually 3-4 barrels (I think the 2013 is 6 barrels and 2018 is some higher than normal number as well) and bottle the corresponding 6-9 cases and that was sort of like “our wine.” The mix changes pretty widely on a year to year basis although there are certainly themes or recurring vineyards that show up, especially over the past 8-9 years as the set of vineyards with which we work has settled into consistency.

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Bryan Price »

Great tasting notes and am excited to visit the winery in August.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

Uli K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#74 Post by Uli K. »

I have a 2008 Balcombe on deck for tonight. Does anyone have an idea whether I should decant for sediment? Other than that, I’d prefer to follow it in the glass.

Edit: Looks like it has a quarter inch of fine sediment at the bottom, will decant.
U. K 1 u m p p

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#75 Post by Jim Anderson »

Uli K. wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 6:54 pm I have a 2008 Balcombe on deck for tonight. Does anyone have an idea whether I should decant for sediment? Other than that, I’d prefer to follow it in the glass.

Edit: Looks like it has a quarter inch of fine sediment at the bottom, will decant.
Tried to be super upfront about this. These older wines, in general, will have a decent amount of sediment. Standing them upright for a day or two or three and decanting is highly advised.

Uli K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#76 Post by Uli K. »

Jim Anderson wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 7:42 pm
Uli K. wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 6:54 pm I have a 2008 Balcombe on deck for tonight. Does anyone have an idea whether I should decant for sediment? Other than that, I’d prefer to follow it in the glass.

Tried to be super upfront about this. These older wines, in general, will have a decent amount of sediment. Standing them upright for a day or two or three and decanting is highly advised.
Thanks Jim for the quick response! No problem at all, I suspected that and had the bottle upright for weeks.
U. K 1 u m p p

Uli K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#77 Post by Uli K. »

2008 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Balcombe Vineyard Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (7/24/2021)
Beautiful showing of a mature, classically styled Pinot Noir. Pretty garnet color, slight bricking at the rim. Bottle funk at first, which blew off within 15 min. A somewhat reduced nose remained until day two. Apart from that, forest floor, a little leather and spice. Savory, cherry on the palate, bright acidity brings liveliness. The smooth tannins are less prominent, but still present. Cork was in perfect shape, only minor penetration. Considerable amount of fine sediment, definitely needs careful decanting.

Posted from CellarTracker
U. K 1 u m p p

JViolini

#78 Post by JViolini »

Having to overnight in a hotel in SF tonight and I'm taking the 2020 rosé with me. Lovely welcome drink at the tasting room back in June.
Justin (itb)

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by ChrisJames »

I just finished my case of Berserker Day Deal 2018 Muscat.

It's the little joys that make life special.

Dave McIsaac
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Dave McIsaac »

2015 Marine Sedimentary PN - Another of Jim's specials, and I bought a case. I am down to three bottles, and will try to keep my mitts off of the remainder for a couple of years. That said, each bottle opened has been lovely, and these have been a screaming value and a really nice wine. Bravo! [cheers.gif]
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by MikeHill »

Dave McIsaac wrote: September 4th, 2021, 2:57 pm 2015 Marine Sedimentary PN - Another of Jim's specials, and I bought a case. I am down to three bottles, and will try to keep my mitts off of the remainder for a couple of years. That said, each bottle opened has been lovely, and these have been a screaming value and a really nice wine. Bravo! [cheers.gif]
2015 Patricia Green Cellars Marine Sedimentary Chehalem Mountains

Posted this in another thread from back in Dec 2020. Double decanted. Upon opening, very earthy on the nose. On the palate focused dark fruit and cherry, almost bitter. Sharp, structured tannins. Medium acidity. Clipped finish of minerals. Still tight, drink with decant or hold. Update: Of course the last glass after four hours was the best.

Love me some Patty Green, if you can hold some of these they are going to be killer.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by mattcitrang »

2018 Dry Muscat Ottonel - just keep on pleasing.
Ace Citrang10

J0seph S c h e n c k
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#83 Post by J0seph S c h e n c k »

mattcitrang wrote: September 11th, 2021, 1:20 pm 2018 Dry Muscat Ottonel - just keep on pleasing.
+1

A 2002 Patricia Green Hirsch (that’s not a typo) recently was absolutely sublime. Wow.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#84 Post by Jim Anderson »

J0seph S c h e n c k wrote: September 12th, 2021, 1:30 am
mattcitrang wrote: September 11th, 2021, 1:20 pm 2018 Dry Muscat Ottonel - just keep on pleasing.
+1

A 2002 Patricia Green Hirsch (that’s not a typo) recently was absolutely sublime. Wow.
We used to be sneaky that way.

Erik Muir
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Erik Muir »

2012 Freedom Hill
As a relative newbie to tasting wine that isn't the current release from a winery, I got the sense that time did this bottle well. I'm looking forward to trying the 2008 Etzel block and 2011 Olenik that are in my cellar.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#86 Post by Jim Anderson »

Erik Muir wrote: September 12th, 2021, 6:31 pm 2012 Freedom Hill
As a relative newbie to tasting wine that isn't the current release from a winery, I got the sense that time did this bottle well. I'm looking forward to trying the 2008 Etzel block and 2011 Olenik that are in my cellar.
2012 is a terrific vintage and that was our first year with Freedom Hill. While I think we have improved our technique with the site I feel like we did a terrific job coming out of the gate. That wine should be long lived and just coming into a second phase now/soon.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Erik Muir wrote: September 12th, 2021, 6:31 pm 2012 Freedom Hill
The 2008 Etzel Block is still surprisingly youthful...but so easy to love. I already regret not buying more than the 3 bottles I did. Below is my note from late 2020.

I have to say that this still has a long, long life ahead by the judge of this bottle. A ruby core that is slowly starting to show some minor signs of bricking. PNP, decanted for sediment, served in a Conterno Sensory glass, & the remaining wine is in a decanter in the fridge to help keep it cool so it can warm up slowly in the glass. Most immediately there's this lovely scent of earth, a hint of rose, mushroom, & bright red fruits. This wine is so bright & alive with flavors of raspberry, perfectly ripe strawberries (like the one's I paid $10/berry for in a market in Seoul), then clove, spice, with a hint of cinnamon lingering in & out throughout the finish. Man...this is such an epic wine. The finish stretches out, has a rich mid-palate, and a long, long finish. The cork...looks damn near perfect, with no saturation or seepage. If you find a bottle of this...buy it, or you'll be competing with me if I see it.

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

Jim/others – I wasn’t able to take advantage of your library sale, but have several bottles of 2015 Marine and 2013 Freedom Hill and Estate wines. Can I assume that these are 10-15 yr wines like these earlier wines from the 2000s? I like older wines and am willing to trade fruit for complexity, nuance, and intrigue. Thanks.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#89 Post by Jim Anderson »

Stephen Faulkner wrote: September 13th, 2021, 8:16 am Jim/others – I wasn’t able to take advantage of your library sale, but have several bottles of 2015 Marine and 2013 Freedom Hill and Estate wines. Can I assume that these are 10-15 yr wines like these earlier wines from the 2000s? I like older wines and am willing to trade fruit for complexity, nuance, and intrigue. Thanks.
13s for sure. 15 was a warm year but less impacted than 14 (I can tell you that warmth of an entire summer and what the necessarily grapes look and act like aren’t a for sure correlation as what we are bringing in right now isn’t what people would expect). That being said that 15 is still a pretty rich wine. I’d check at 10 and not at 15.

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

Thank you, Jim!

Jeff Wilkinson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#91 Post by Jeff Wilkinson »

Enjoyed a 2008 Etzel Block with dinner this evening. 1hr decant before serving. It was a fantastic wine with a lot of life still left in it. Earthy on the nose with bright red fruit and got better as the night went on. Glad Jim offered this one up on the library release!

JViolini

#92 Post by JViolini »

2017 Marine Sedimentary around the SoloStove with some friends. I could have chugged another bottle, hit the spot.
Justin (itb)

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by ChrisJames »

2007 Old Vine Estate Vineyard. Nothing specific to say other than this is the fifth library wine I've had in the 2002-2007 range and everyone of them has been deep, delicious, and highly pleasurable.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Mattstolz »

Jim Anderson wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 7:42 pm

or, you can stand an 04 up, bring it to a restaurant, and have the somm empty the entire bottle into the decanter before you can say anything. in my recent experience that also works out well.

honestly im pretty sure we just got lucky. but that 04 was delicious.

in other PCG news, glad I got my hands on a couple 375s in this release!

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by P Intag »

Had an interesting experience with a bottle of the 2016 Freedom Hill PN:

2016 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Freedom Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (10/9/2021)
Really perplexed by how this is evolving. I threw this into a double-blind tasting with some family members, among six other red wines with no specified theme. This followed a 2017 Ojai Kessler-Haak Pinot and a low-end Oregon Pinot (first three in the tasting were Pinots just by chance). I identified the first two as Pinot (though the first I identified as Willamette Valley and the second as Sta. Rita Hills, amazingly backwards!), but this did not even enter into my mind as Pinot at all. Strong iron notes on the nose and palate, very dark color, dark fruit profile, strong tannic presence, medium acidity level -- I actually guessed this as a 2016 Central Coast Cabernet Sauv, but was not at all confident with the guess. In fact, not a single person of the seven involved in the tasting called this as a Pinot Noir. I ended up taking the bottle home for the next evening and still got very little Pinot character out of this, as the strong iron note and tannin had not at all subsided.
I actually think this needs years to unwind. Like 5+ years. Not that it wasn't interesting and enjoyable (to an extent), but I think this will be better after it relaxes a bit.
Paul

Juliec
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#96 Post by Juliec »

2011 PGC notorious was drinking well. Prepping a 2006 etzel block Mag. Thoughts on decant and air time before wb offline. Maybe an hour before?
hong

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by R M Kriete »

P Intag wrote: October 12th, 2021, 10:50 pm Had an interesting experience with a bottle of the 2016 Freedom Hill PN:

2016 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Freedom Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (10/9/2021)
Really perplexed by how this is evolving. I threw this into a double-blind tasting with some family members, among six other red wines with no specified theme. This followed a 2017 Ojai Kessler-Haak Pinot and a low-end Oregon Pinot (first three in the tasting were Pinots just by chance). I identified the first two as Pinot (though the first I identified as Willamette Valley and the second as Sta. Rita Hills, amazingly backwards!), but this did not even enter into my mind as Pinot at all. Strong iron notes on the nose and palate, very dark color, dark fruit profile, strong tannic presence, medium acidity level -- I actually guessed this as a 2016 Central Coast Cabernet Sauv, but was not at all confident with the guess. In fact, not a single person of the seven involved in the tasting called this as a Pinot Noir. I ended up taking the bottle home for the next evening and still got very little Pinot character out of this, as the strong iron note and tannin had not at all subsided.
I actually think this needs years to unwind. Like 5+ years. Not that it wasn't interesting and enjoyable (to an extent), but I think this will be better after it relaxes a bit.
I’m wondering if this is just the vineyard? I’ve never been a fan of Freedom Hill pinots, from multiple producers.
Rhodes M Kriete

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#98 Post by Jim Anderson »

R M Kriete wrote: October 13th, 2021, 9:51 am
P Intag wrote: October 12th, 2021, 10:50 pm Had an interesting experience with a bottle of the 2016 Freedom Hill PN:

I’m wondering if this is just the vineyard? I’ve never been a fan of Freedom Hill pinots, from multiple producers.
Freedom Hill takes a while to unwind. It has appropriate structure and 2016s are intense, fresh and exceptionally age worthy. Against what I would imagine are two much softer Pinots this would stand out and it’s good that this has bones and gumption right now. Confusing with Cabernet? I wouldn’t, but then again I know this wine like the back of my hand and to each their own. It’s a 4 year old wine that really won’t show it’s best for another 6+ years. Easily. Freedom Hill is a terrific vineyard with great ownership and management. We certainly produce more Freedom Hill Pinot Noir (and Pinot Noirs) than anyone so I think I can speak confidently about the site and the wines produces. There’s a mix of clones and no lack of whole cluster in this bottling. At around $35 give or take depending on where you get it this wine should deliver over a long period of time but I can understand the question about it in the here and now if I can also disagree wholeheartedly with it tasting like Cab.

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by ChrisJames »

Jim Anderson wrote: October 13th, 2021, 11:52 am

Freedom Hill takes a while to unwind. It has appropriate structure and 2016s are intense, fresh and exceptionally age worthy. Against what I would imagine are two much softer Pinots this would stand out and it’s good that this has bones and gumption right now. Confusing with Cabernet? I wouldn’t, but then again I know this wine like the back of my hand and to each their own. It’s a 4 year old wine that really won’t show it’s best for another 6+ years. Easily. Freedom Hill is a terrific vineyard with great ownership and management. We certainly produce more Freedom Hill Pinot Noir (and Pinot Noirs) than anyone so I think I can speak confidently about the site and the wines produces. There’s a mix of clones and no lack of whole cluster in this bottling. At around $35 give or take depending on where you get it this wine should deliver over a long period of time but I can understand the question about it in the here and now if I can also disagree wholeheartedly with it tasting like Cab.
Re: Freedom Hill.

We got a mixed half case of 2018 PGC for a friend of ours with decidedly CA taste (specifically Cab and Zin) made up of Volcanic, Marine, Estate Old Vine, Durant Bishop Block, Balcome 1B, and Freedom Hill Pommard Clone. Not one to age his wines, he has already drank them. His favorite was the Estate Old Vine followed by the Balcome 1B. He much preferred the Volcanic over the Marine (so no pattern there). His least favorite of the bunch was the Freedom Hill. He said it was excellent without intrigue. But he definitely did not consider it a ringer for the CA cab.

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by P Intag »

Jim Anderson wrote: October 13th, 2021, 11:52 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Jim. Yes, I'm a little embarrassed about guessing Cabernet for this, but in my defense, I actually correctly guessed the other 6 other bottles' varieties (1 Tempranillo, 2 Pinots, 1 Merlot, and 2 Cabernets) correctly! Being horribly off on only one is actually not too bad!
In any case, I've only had the PGC 2012 Freedom Hill (twice - still have two bottles), and I think it still needs a few more years to really show well, though I enjoyed the last bottle a couple of years ago and thought it best after being opened for 2 days. Seems like this 2016 is going along the same track, though my first bottle of it shortly after release was drinking very nicely. Maybe best to treat these like a good Burg that shows well on release and then shuts down for a number of years.
Paul

Return to “Wine Talk”