What Patricia Green Cellars are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: What Patricia Green Cellars are you drinking?

#101 Post by Jim Anderson »

P Intag wrote: October 13th, 2021, 1:10 pm
Jim Anderson wrote: October 13th, 2021, 11:52 am
R M Kriete wrote: October 13th, 2021, 9:51 am

I’m wondering if this is just the vineyard? I’ve never been a fan of Freedom Hill pinots, from multiple producers.
Freedom Hill takes a while to unwind. It has appropriate structure and 2016s are intense, fresh and exceptionally age worthy. Against what I would imagine are two much softer Pinots this would stand out and it’s good that this has bones and gumption right now. Confusing with Cabernet? I wouldn’t, but then again I know this wine like the back of my hand and to each their own. It’s a 4 year old wine that really won’t show it’s best for another 6+ years. Easily. Freedom Hill is a terrific vineyard with great ownership and management. We certainly produce more Freedom Hill Pinot Noir (and Pinot Noirs) than anyone so I think I can speak confidently about the site and the wines produces. There’s a mix of clones and no lack of whole cluster in this bottling. At around $35 give or take depending on where you get it this wine should deliver over a long period of time but I can understand the question about it in the here and now if I can also disagree wholeheartedly with it tasting like Cab.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Jim. Yes, I'm a little embarrassed about guessing Cabernet for this, but in my defense, I actually correctly guessed the other 6 other bottles' varieties (1 Tempranillo, 2 Pinots, 1 Merlot, and 2 Cabernets) correctly! Being horribly off on only one is actually not too bad!
In any case, I've only had the PGC 2012 Freedom Hill (twice - still have two bottles), and I think it still needs a few more years to really show well, though I enjoyed the last bottle a couple of years ago and thought it best after being opened for 2 days. Seems like this 2016 is going along the same track, though my first bottle of it shortly after release was drinking very nicely. Maybe best to treat these like a good Burg that shows well on release and then shuts down for a number of years.
Oh, I didn’t take it personally or professionally. I think blind tastings are weird outside of blending or training settings. It’s easy to get off track. Even for super experienced tasters.

We have the good fortune to work with many excellent vineyards and Patty and I always wanted to make wines that we liked. I definitely enjoy structure and non-fruit driven intensity in younger Pinots. Certain vineyards definitely allow us to delve into that and Freedom Hill is one of them. I would say 2012 is an inflection point for us at the winery in terms of youthful presentation, let’s say. I think you see several wineries (most would have been mentioned on this board many times) in Oregon that are not trying to make “age-worthy” wines but wines that unspool the deep structures that a lot of Pinot Noir vineyards offer up here.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by James Lyon »

Juliec wrote: October 13th, 2021, 4:07 am 2011 PGC notorious was drinking well. Prepping a 2006 etzel block Mag. Thoughts on decant and air time before wb offline. Maybe an hour before?
For reference, we enjoyed a magnum of 2005 PGC Whistling Ridge Pinot a few months ago. I wasn't sure of the restaurant's corkage policy, so the somm opened it at dinner. It was terrific, but the last pours were the best after a few hours open. I would suggest opening the magnum a few hours beforehand and tasting a few ounces upon opening. I'm assuming that the prepping includes standing the magnum upright for a week or so before opening.

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Mattstolz wrote: October 12th, 2021, 6:40 pm
Jim Anderson wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 7:42 pm
Uli K. wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 6:54 pm
or, you can stand an 04 up, bring it to a restaurant, and have the somm empty the entire bottle into the decanter before you can say anything. in my recent experience that also works out well.

honestly im pretty sure we just got lucky. but that 04 was delicious.
Be sure to stand up these older bottles for at least a week. There will be plenty of sediment, as others (and Jim) have noted earlier in this thread.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Juliec
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#104 Post by Juliec »

Thanks all. Standing it now.at an angle definitely space challenged to stand up a magnum.
hong

Brian Pinci
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Brian Pinci »

2014 Volcanic - nice cherry flavors but this bottle was pretty astringent for me. PGC pinots are one of the few pinots I like (more a cab fan here). I usually pop and pour them. I don’t recall that astringency before from bottles like Etzel and Balcombe Block. I will try it again tomorrow and see if it settles down because those cherry flavors were quite nice

Update: Day 3 the astringency settled down and it turned into a lovely cherry filled PGC that I enjoy! Obviously could age more, I'll let the other bottle I have sit for a while
Last edited by Brian Pinci on October 17th, 2021, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Pinci

Peter Rosback
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Peter Rosback »

Happy Birthday, Patty! We miss you greatly...

Peter Rosback
----------------
Sineann

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Juliec wrote: October 13th, 2021, 4:07 am 2011 PGC notorious was drinking well. Prepping a 2006 etzel block Mag. Thoughts on decant and air time before wb offline. Maybe an hour before?
I don't have much experience with this wine in magnum, but I would keep it at a 45 degree angle for a while. These wines do drop sediment, and if you're taking it to a restaurant, I'd decant it out of the bottle for sediment & then pour it back in for transport so you don't wind up drinking sediment.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Juliec
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#108 Post by Juliec »

Thanks Kirk for the tips. I kept it at 45 degrees no double decant. I did get acetone on the nose like an old Williams selyem wine. Others mentioned that it could blow off. Perhaps I should have tried the bottle quicker. Hopefully some took it and will see how it is tomorrow. :)
hong

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by P Intag »

Jim Anderson wrote: October 13th, 2021, 1:37 pm
P Intag wrote: October 13th, 2021, 1:10 pm
Jim Anderson wrote: October 13th, 2021, 11:52 am

Freedom Hill takes a while to unwind. It has appropriate structure and 2016s are intense, fresh and exceptionally age worthy. Against what I would imagine are two much softer Pinots this would stand out and it’s good that this has bones and gumption right now. Confusing with Cabernet? I wouldn’t, but then again I know this wine like the back of my hand and to each their own. It’s a 4 year old wine that really won’t show it’s best for another 6+ years. Easily. Freedom Hill is a terrific vineyard with great ownership and management. We certainly produce more Freedom Hill Pinot Noir (and Pinot Noirs) than anyone so I think I can speak confidently about the site and the wines produces. There’s a mix of clones and no lack of whole cluster in this bottling. At around $35 give or take depending on where you get it this wine should deliver over a long period of time but I can understand the question about it in the here and now if I can also disagree wholeheartedly with it tasting like Cab.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Jim. Yes, I'm a little embarrassed about guessing Cabernet for this, but in my defense, I actually correctly guessed the other 6 other bottles' varieties (1 Tempranillo, 2 Pinots, 1 Merlot, and 2 Cabernets) correctly! Being horribly off on only one is actually not too bad!
In any case, I've only had the PGC 2012 Freedom Hill (twice - still have two bottles), and I think it still needs a few more years to really show well, though I enjoyed the last bottle a couple of years ago and thought it best after being opened for 2 days. Seems like this 2016 is going along the same track, though my first bottle of it shortly after release was drinking very nicely. Maybe best to treat these like a good Burg that shows well on release and then shuts down for a number of years.
Oh, I didn’t take it personally or professionally. I think blind tastings are weird outside of blending or training settings. It’s easy to get off track. Even for super experienced tasters.

We have the good fortune to work with many excellent vineyards and Patty and I always wanted to make wines that we liked. I definitely enjoy structure and non-fruit driven intensity in younger Pinots. Certain vineyards definitely allow us to delve into that and Freedom Hill is one of them. I would say 2012 is an inflection point for us at the winery in terms of youthful presentation, let’s say. I think you see several wineries (most would have been mentioned on this board many times) in Oregon that are not trying to make “age-worthy” wines but wines that unspool the deep structures that a lot of Pinot Noir vineyards offer up here.
Jim - I know you didn't take offense, but I would like to make clear that I was only commenting on the Freedom Hill vineyard expression, not any criticism of the wine making at all. In fact, PGC is my favorite Oregon producer and I love that you let the vineyards show their character rather than imposing some kind of "house style" on your wines. The Freedom Hill bottling is a fascinating lesson on terroir, as it is so different than anything else that I have tasted from you (or any WV Pinot). I actually liked it quite a bit and really look forward to trying my remaining bottles of the 2012 (my 2016s are now gone) in another 5 or more years. Cheers!
Paul

Keith Levenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Keith Levenberg »

2008 PG Eason Vineyard

Dunno if this is at the peak. It's definitely at a peak. No-doubter beauty right from the pop of the cork. Soft but deeply pitched earthy scents like what I would imagine it would be like to be a dog sniffing in the woods for black truffles and knowing you've found your spot. The fruit has mellowed and turned more woodsy since release too but one thing it had young that hasn't changed is the lacy texture, the grace of a ballerina. Hard to put this down because it's such a total caress of the palate. The Amoureuses of the PNW. Not the first '08 OR pinot I've had this year that's been gloriously in the zone either. Very happy I bought widely this vintage.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#111 Post by Jim Anderson »

Keith Levenberg wrote: October 17th, 2021, 4:46 pm 2008 PG Eason Vineyard

Dunno if this is at the peak. It's definitely at a peak. No-doubter beauty right from the pop of the cork. Soft but deeply pitched earthy scents like what I would imagine it would be like to be a dog sniffing in the woods for black truffles and knowing you've found your spot. The fruit has mellowed and turned more woodsy since release too but one thing it had young that hasn't changed is the lacy texture, the grace of a ballerina. Hard to put this down because it's such a total caress of the palate. The Amoureuses of the PNW. Not the first '08 OR pinot I've had this year that's been gloriously in the zone either. Very happy I bought widely this vintage.
Very nice. The penultimate bottling of that site for us and in some fashion really the last one as the actual final one consisted of only 3 barrels. Vineyard was purchased by Eyrie after the 2010 vintage. Terrific little site that Patty literally dug out of the blackberries back in 1994.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by mattcitrang »

2013 Estate. Nice 12.5% ABV and real cork. Couldn’t stop sipping on this vino.
Ace Citrang10

Mark C Johnson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#113 Post by Mark C Johnson »

Had a Berserker Cuvee 2013 tonight, a bit cloudy but with air opened up quite a bit and was very enjoyable with mabo tofu.
Memes & Tropes

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Mark C Johnson wrote: October 21st, 2021, 12:56 am Had a Berserker Cuvee 2013 tonight, a bit cloudy but with air opened up quite a bit and was very enjoyable with mabo tofu.

Have you ever tried decanting these wines so that you don't get the sediment or "cloudy" wine? If not, I'd encourage you to go to TJ Maxx or Home Goods & drop $8.99 on a cheap decanter. In my experience...this dramatically improves the wines and highlights why they're some of my favorites in the US.

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by MikeHill »

2012 Freedom Hill Dijon 115

PNP. Drank over several hours. Delicate floral aromatics. Darker red fruit, raspberry. Spicy, graphite, twiggy (50% destemmed). Just a little sappy, with firm structure and some mouthwatering acidity on the finish. I had the regular? bottling of the 2012 Freedom Hill earlier this year, and the Dijon definitely seemed more serious and structured, with 10+ years to go easy.

I've been drinking a lot of PGC recently, and it took me several hours to get a point of view on this wine, which I very much mean as a compliment!

Side note: I checked my cellar and apparently Jim does no less than five different bottlings from Freedom Hill. That would be a pretty cool horizontal.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#116 Post by Jim Anderson »

MikeHill wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm 2012 Freedom Hill Dijon 115

PNP. Drank over several hours. Delicate floral aromatics. Darker red fruit, raspberry. Spicy, graphite, twiggy (50% destemmed). Just a little sappy, with firm structure and some mouthwatering acidity on the finish. I had the regular? bottling of the 2012 Freedom Hill earlier this year, and the Dijon definitely seemed more serious and structured, with 10+ years to go easy.

I've been drinking a lot of PGC recently, and it took me several hours to get a point of view on this wine, which I very much mean as a compliment!

Side note: I checked my cellar and apparently Jim does no less than five different bottlings from Freedom Hill. That would be a pretty cool horizontal.
5 every year since 2017 with 6 in 2019. Don’t read the terroir thread!

The block the Dijon 115 bottling comes from is the highest point in the site that we get fruit from (it’s not a very high elevation site) and it’s just a terrific block. We’ve done some measure of whole cluster on it every year (I believe) with the 2017 being 100% whole cluster (I think). The individual block bottlings are supposed to be denser, more structured and more unique than the blend which incorporates barrels from every block and with some blocks that’s aren’t parceled out making up the bulk of it. It’s still very nice and very Freedom Hill but I think the distinct block bottlings show aspects of the vineyard that are microcosms of the whole and are terrific bottlings.

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by MikeHill »

Jim Anderson wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 5:40 pm
MikeHill wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm 2012 Freedom Hill Dijon 115

5 every year since 2017 with 6 in 2019. Don’t read the terroir thread!

The block the Dijon 115 bottling comes from is the highest point in the site that we get fruit from (it’s not a very high elevation site) and it’s just a terrific block. We’ve done some measure of whole cluster on it every year (I believe) with the 2017 being 100% whole cluster (I think). The individual block bottlings are supposed to be denser, more structured and more unique than the blend which incorporates barrels from every block and with some blocks that’s aren’t parceled out making up the bulk of it. It’s still very nice and very Freedom Hill but I think the distinct block bottlings show aspects of the vineyard that are microcosms of the whole and are terrific bottlings.
Too late Jim, I read the single vineyard scam thread, so now I know the blend is objectively the better wine, and you just scammed me into paying more for the individual block bottlings. neener

Mark C Johnson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#118 Post by Mark C Johnson »

Kirk.Grant wrote: October 21st, 2021, 4:40 am
Mark C Johnson wrote: October 21st, 2021, 12:56 am Had a Berserker Cuvee 2013 tonight, a bit cloudy but with air opened up quite a bit and was very enjoyable with mabo tofu.

Have you ever tried decanting these wines so that you don't get the sediment or "cloudy" wine? If not, I'd encourage you to go to TJ Maxx or Home Goods & drop $8.99 on a cheap decanter. In my experience...this dramatically improves the wines and highlights why they're some of my favorites in the US.
Thanks for the tip Kirk. In fact I often use a decanter but when I held the bottle up to the light I didn't see any sediment. It had been standing for a least a week. I think it's just a cloudy wine. Some are. I've had some J. Swans that were similarly cloudy.
Memes & Tropes

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#119 Post by JDavisRoby »

Contemplating adding some PGC 2019 Durant Chardonnay to my fall club order. I don’t recall ever tasting a PGC chard but I really enjoy Oregon Chard. In particular I like Marcus’ Chard.

Anyone provide any comparison or contrast?
Joshu@

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#120 Post by Jim Anderson »

JDavisRoby wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:30 am Contemplating adding some PGC 2019 Durant Chardonnay to my fall club order. I don’t recall ever tasting a PGC chard but I really enjoy Oregon Chard. In particular I like Marcus’ Chard.

Marcus’ Durant comes (now), I believe, entirely from the lowest section of Durant which, despite its Dundee Hill AVA, is planted in marine sedimentary soil. It is also the coolest section of the vineyard by far. Our Durant comes 50% from there and 50% from further up on the hill in volcanic soil. In 2021 I picked the upper block on 9/6 and the lower on 9/15. The lower block rarely cracks 21.5 brix while the upper usually isn’t ripe enough until it eclipses 22. I ferment in concrete, Marcus is various sized puncheons (I believe). I didn’t begin making Chardonnay (really) until 2015 and learned a lot of stuff from Marcus. I think the 2019 is the best of the 5 bottlings we have produced although a recent bottle of 2015 was better than I expected. I would same we’re cut from the same cloth in terms of liking acidity and freshness. I don’t know that I’ve had Marcus’ wine in direct comparison.

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#121 Post by JDavisRoby »

Jim Anderson wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 11:04 am
JDavisRoby wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:30 am Contemplating adding some PGC 2019 Durant Chardonnay to my fall club order. I don’t recall ever tasting a PGC chard but I really enjoy Oregon Chard. In particular I like Marcus’ Chard.

Marcus’ Durant comes (now), I believe, entirely from the lowest section of Durant which, despite its Dundee Hill AVA, is planted in marine sedimentary soil. It is also the coolest section of the vineyard by far. Our Durant comes 50% from there and 50% from further up on the hill in volcanic soil. In 2021 I picked the upper block on 9/6 and the lower on 9/15. The lower block rarely cracks 21.5 brix while the upper usually isn’t ripe enough until it eclipses 22. I ferment in concrete, Marcus is various sized puncheons (I believe). I didn’t begin making Chardonnay (really) until 2015 and learned a lot of stuff from Marcus. I think the 2019 is the best of the 5 bottlings we have produced although a recent bottle of 2015 was better than I expected. I would same we’re cut from the same cloth in terms of liking acidity and freshness. I don’t know that I’ve had Marcus’ wine in direct comparison.
Thanks Jim!
Joshu@

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Kirk.Grant »

• 2008 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Etzel Block - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (10/30/2021)
    This wine was kept at a 45 degree angle for 90+ days & decanted for sediment. This is just in such a lovely spot...I'm going to have a difficult time holding off on opening my remaining bottles. The structure is still evident, but this is just hitting that stage where everything about the wine is seamless. The nose has that beautiful earthiness, like the underbrush during a fall walk in Maine (or Oregon is probably more accurate), with some notes of mushroom faintly starting to come in as well. The palate is pure & bright with notes or red fruit and a faint hint of bricking that reminds you that this is not as young as the fruit might suggest. Like eating a handful of fresh & dried cherries together. I just love this wine, and am so grateful that Jim opened up the cellar to share this with folks so they could see how special these wines are with some time sideways. I will try to hold my two remaining bottles at least another 2 & 7 years...as I am 99.99% certain they will still only continue to improve with age.
Posted from CellarTracker

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by Brian Lynch »

Very nice zip code/comp on the Durant.

Popped the most recently shipped Old Vine PN and it was delicious; I have more!
Howlin Wolf

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#124 Post by Jim Anderson »

Normally wouldn’t post my own wine but this is a real old timer and someone at a thing I was at last night pulled this out of their collection and opened it. It was in just terrific shape, still loads of primary fruit and great texture. I was really surprised. The vineyard was not in very good condition when we took it over that first year and it was our first year working with (what is now called) Ribbon Ridge fruit. Back then there were only a handful of vineyards in the AVA. This wine is a real testimony to, uh oh, the inherent high quality of the overall terroir of the area as it had to overcome both relatively not so good farming and inexperienced (at least with the area) winemaking. Cheers to Patty on this one. 100% for sure.
49A773FE-8CB0-4EEA-88F6-290E8EE7E7CC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michael S. Monie

#125 Post by Michael S. Monie »

2019 Freedom Hill just showed up locally. Any thoughts?
Hubris Gravitas

Will Work For Gelato

"Have you tried the Billecart?" Sarah Kirschbaum

Strain the system
Break the system
Blame the system
Take control

Of the myriad of involvements in living, there are two primary obligations: to know one's self and to be kind. And the more one engages in one, the more the other becomes apparent.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Josh Grossman »

Jim Anderson wrote: October 30th, 2021, 8:09 am Normally wouldn’t post my own wine but this is a real old timer and someone at a thing I was at last night pulled this out of their collection and opened it. It was in just terrific shape, still loads of primary fruit and great texture. I was really surprised. The vineyard was not in very good condition when we took it over that first year and it was our first year working with (what is now called) Ribbon Ridge fruit. Back then there were only a handful of vineyards in the AVA. This wine is a real testimony to, uh oh, the inherent high quality of the overall terroir of the area as it had to overcome both relatively not so good farming and inexperienced (at least with the area) winemaking. Cheers to Patty on this one. 100% for sure.

49A773FE-8CB0-4EEA-88F6-290E8EE7E7CC.jpeg
I opened one of the 2004 Estates last weekend. Everyone raved about it and it showed absolutely no sign of decline and was still mostly primary. Wide open though with tons of dark fruit.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#127 Post by Jim Anderson »

Michael S. Monie wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 11:31 am 2019 Freedom Hill just showed up locally. Any thoughts?
Dark, snappy fruit. Freedom Hill tannins. Good stuff. Benefit from a long time but it’s pretty good in the here and now with something to help with the youthful tannins.

Matt Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#128 Post by Matt Allen »

2015 Marine Sedimentary

enjoyed with increasing pleasure over two hours last night

looking forward to what is left tonight

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by ChrisJames »

JDavisRoby wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 3:05 pm

Thanks Jim!
Joshua,

I own and drink a lot of Goodfellow Chardonnay. Not a comparison or contracts, but those are my creds to say Jim is making damn good Chardonnay too. Well, OK, PGC doesn't have the same reductive "matchstick" qualities that Goodfellow does - it is its own expression of damn good. I have found it to be a very pure expression of the fruit without any apparent oak influence. I was really impressed tasting the 2016 at the winery back in 2018 and bought a few bottles. Those didn't last long. I somehow missed 2017. However, I liked the 2018 enough to tuck away a six pack. This summer, I also tasted the 2019 and fully agree that it is the best of the four vintages I've tasted. So I tucked away a six pack of that too. I suspect PGC Chardonnay will be an annual purchase going forward.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#130 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

I am only getting fruit from the lower block these days, but also took a bit of the Chardonnay up on the slope from 2017-2019. As Jim said, it ripens in a hurry up on the slope, and I really prefer the cut and brightness we get from the lower block(and it’s consistency in keeping it’s acidity year in and year out. But the fruit higher up can definitely make some very nice wines.

While we have some differences in process, I think that if you enjoy Goodfellow Chardonnay, you should also really like the Patricia Green’s Durant. Jim and I definitely like similar levels of intensity, acidity, and less opulent flavors, as well is non-intrusive oak influences(Jim does age in barrel last time I checked). I like the PGC Durant wines quite a bit.

I also had a bottle of 2010 Old Vine Estate last night. Always a great bottle, and while I think this still blossoming, it was a great melange of red fruit, earth, and exotic spices. Medium weight, very complete, lots of red fruits and the structural quality of that little bit of Ribbon Ridge. Nice fine tannins, great sour cherry acidity, long finish without being obvious. Great wine.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by ChrisJames »

2007 Patricia Green Etzel Block

Library release. I guess Jim and Patty decided not to add Mega Purple to this wine. :-) This is a pale orange with nary a hint of red to it. I’ve seen fifty year old Nebbiolo with more pigment. This wine ais bit of a mystery and dichotomy in that it seemed really old while still retaining youthful elements. Nice, silky nose reminiscent of sweet, fresh tobacco and also worn leather. A palate that offers up a big body, semi-firm tannins, and tart acidity, yet also seems delicate to the point of being fragile. I enjoyed it as a wine geek, but I can see how it would be challenged for the party crowd. Based on this one bottle, I’d say drink up.

Cross post from Frank's Laura House Thread

Return to “Wine Talk”