Got offered Ovid Experiment

Any insight would be welcome

You got the offers or notification that you /would/ be getting offers? Hard to comment on an offer without a price.

As an aside, kudos be to Ovid for monetizing experimenting with different blends…

Received the same email. Let’s see. I hear it’s a minimum of a 6 bottle (of each wine) purchase for the experiment wines, which would be an issue. Let’s see.

I have always been very pleased with the Ovid Experiment wines - go for it!

Ask #1 fanboy Alfert…

Ha, that’s cold, but I did get the card!

I would not recommend this pairing…

52553168-BD33-47F3-8906-14F70581440E.jpeg
:wink:

Love me some Ovid. I can typically find their main blend below cost but the experiments are harder to find. Approachable young. Solid Pritchard hill fruit.

6 packs only, (last year):
$570 white
$990 for red (N and R).
Shipping was $90 for each 6 pack.

Had the 2006 D7.86 Experiment, primarily Cab Franc & Merlot, last night. Very fine wine at age 15 if a bit chocolaty after an hour in decanter. This got more balanced with more air time.

A0F52A66-A088-427C-9E1A-A54F78B4C0F1.jpeg

I suppose a follow up question worth asking is how is the tasting visit/experience at Ovid?

By purchasing, the email says you will be able to visit and do tastings + purchase library wines on site which always holds a certain appeal. Whenever we visit Napa, we always go to Chappellet, so hopping over to Ovid is presumably pretty easy. That said, if it’s a nothing burger of a visit, I’d just as soon pick up vintages I might want to try at auction…

It’s a fantastic visit.

1 Like

Honestly, not really my style of wine, but probably the best visit that I have done in the States. Totally private and full bottles open, plus cheese and charcuterie. They get you tipsy and then you spend a shit-ton! I am now an honorary member.

1 Like

What’d you cut the Ovid with some Sauv Blanc?

Ovatanid

My impression from the K&L auctions I’ve followed is that when it comes up, the Experiment doesn’t usually fetch its release price, but it doesn’t show up that often so it’s hard to know when there might be an opportunity. WS prices look high.

It’s a beautiful place and great visit for sure. Their release event was extremely well done.

You can generally find the new releases for cheaper in the marketplace as well. The pricing at the winery is rather high, as is the shipping cost. But again, the visit itself was worth it.

Robert,

Curious whether Aaron Peterson is there at these visits or not? He was a classmate of mine at Davis and was always a thoughtful guy . . .

Cheers!

Finally, something that might give Ovid some proper cabernet typicity! [stirthepothal.gif]

Of course, I brought the Vatan, my buddy brought the Ovid. He easily has 150+ bottles of it, been buying since first release.

I would be remiss, in light of your comment, if I did not post the pic from last week when I popped over to his house for a dinner (wives out):

4E3D71DB-09FB-4BFE-9351-F43E0E1EDD9F.jpeg
Luckily, he had already consumed 3/4s of the Caymus before I got there!

Do you mean Austin? He was there both times I visited.

Luckily, you say…
You’d be proud, by the way - I’ve had Clos Rougeard twice in the past few weeks, blind both times. Almost called it Clos Rougeard the first time, too. neener