Pairing suggestions — cioppino?

So I am fortunate that my wife makes a killer cioppino. But how to pair it? A First World problem, clearly.

A few nights ago I went with a Felsina Rancia Chianti with some age, which was great! The acid met the red sauce head on in brilliant fashion.

I had the strangest inkling, though, to open a 375 of Muller-Catoir Auslese 2001 — sorry can’t recall specifics beyond that — and I must say, oddly enough, it also worked really well.

Other thoughts?

Simpsons already did it:

Wide range in other threads. Even though it’s spicy tomato, I usually go with a white to match the seafood. Albariño, Riesling, Rhône White.

Also a Pilsner, IPA, or SF’s own, Anchor Steam.

Tempier Bandol rose.

Thanks. Didn’t realize this has been discussed recently.

Rose is an inspired suggestion.

A nice tight rosé would be my suggestion.

My initial thought was Rose Champagne, which I think would hold up better to the tomato and spice than still Rose. My second thought was a richer, high-acid white (not necessarily sweet), such an Austrian Riesling, Gruner, or Alsatian white. I think the weight of these wines would help (as compared to some a lighter weight “crisp whites” (most German Rieslings, Sancerre, etc.) Albarino, as suggested above should work well…Similarly, Txakolina.

I’d also wonder whether a higher acid macerated/skin-contact wine might be an interesting match, but would take the right one. On the red side (which wouldn’t be my first approach) I’d go with a Zinfandel.

Etna Bianco Carracante or other high-acid un-oaked white.

Lighter reds like Piedirosso or Rossese di Dolceaqua would be my choice, or dry rosé as suggested above.

This dish is one of the few times where I think a big, semi-oaky California chard works. Think Rochioli SVD or Ridge MB Chard … smoky notes and big fruit to play off the robust seafood. These wines also work with Dungeness crab I’ve found for same reason …

Primitivo

When. make my cioppino (tomato based) I serve it with chianti classico. Works well.

Domaine Comte Abbatucci Faustine Rosé Vieilles Vignes.

I don’t think it matters all that much–any tomato friendly red, or any number of whites. WE had it the other night with a number of wines, and the one that seemed the best was a Gigondas.

Years ago the magical pairings at one dinner were Rhys Alpine and Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Chards.

For red, white or rose, I wouldn’t want too big or fruity. Would want decent acid and tannin, but not something lean and mean. or shrill or overly tannic. Generally, I’d be looking at light reds for one that would likely work.

If you were going with a white I would be thinking a viognier would pair well, perhaps a Condrieu. If I were going red I would probably pop a Pinot Noir.

Did white Rioja with a cioppino-like dish tonight. Worked pretty well.

1 Like

When pairing with soups / stews, I always like to go with sparkling. I’m not sure why, but I feel like bubbles are needed to wash down a liquid-based meal, so that the “texture” of the food and beverage are different.