2006 Charles Smith Royal City Syrah

The Spectator review just came out today…97. So that means the reviews so far are:

Wine Advocate – 98
Wine Enthusiast – 100
Wine Spectator – 97
Tanzer – Undrinkable

I’m so curious to give this a shot! I’m more inclined to go with Tanzer and Gregutt, so now we have the total two ends of the spectrum. One man’s 100 is another’s trash. Anyone have a bottle they’d like to offer up for science?

it is GIGANTIC…be prepared…

and as for Tanzer - he never tasted it…he says:

“I described the 2005s last year as porty, outsized and over-the-top) were combined into a single wine called Royal City Syrah, which the winery declined to send on the theory that I would not like it.”

It really is a beast of a wine. I had a few and opened one. Very, very dark, purple, and opaque. Rich and hot, but huge fruit and an amazing nose. I won’t be touching another for a year or two.

You are right. I had it in my mind that he had tried a barrel sample but he was referring to the 05’s. I’ll have to change his to “Probably wouldn’t have liked it!”

or ‘likely undrinkable’, as judging by those scores, that’s what I’d rate it

Its the schnizzle. Awesome. One of the single best Syrahs I have had.
–and, no, I can’t share! [basic-smile.gif]
Got a bunch for $80 on presale.

There’s some available in Portland for Retail if you look around. I didn’t jump at it, would rather spend my money on Cayuse and Saxum for Syrah. Still, would be interested in trying them at some point.

I have some of the '05 Heart/Bones/Skull, I’ll pop one next time our paths cross and we can put it up against our other fav’s Jared.

Gary Pisoni and Charles Smith really need to party together! [berserker.gif]

DO NOT OPEN IT NOW!!! I love the style and I love wines with power so I opened one. It is much too raw and needs years to calm down even if you like wines that are over the top. If you insist, give it a 2 day decant. I had some Saxum 07 JBV after a 24 hour decant and it was starting to round into shape. This is much more of a head banger than that. I have buried my remaining bottles in the cellar and maybe I’ll open one in 5 years. I expect to really enjoy it then, but not now.

Thanks Jay, I have a few in storage and will follow your advice. And Jared, maybe I’ll pull one out in 5 years and we can share it amongst friends.

+1 on this comment all right…open for 5 hours without budging an inch for me.

In the meantime…
2 -100 point notes on CT this week…

I am with the Tanzer camp on the 2005s, so not really looking forward to the 2006.

The 2005 Heart I just drank two weeks ago was pretty disgusting. Port like is an understatement.

classic!

thank goodness ct has the function to… [smileyvault-ban.gif]