What are the wines you try to buy in 375ml??

Year in, year out there are some very reliable producers on the world stage. What are the (non-dessert) wines you buy in 375mls & where do you buy them?

Beaucastel - NH Wine Outlets, & multiple retailers here in Maine.

Mayacamas Cabernet - JJ Buckley

Why buy 375’s when you can buy 750’s and pour off into a 375 for drinking later? [training.gif]

Like you said, shop deals for 375’s and snatch them up when you can find them but I wouldn’t necessarily target a wine other than a dessert wine for buying in 375’s.

I like to keep my options open, Especially when buying wines in magnum, 750, & 375ml I find I can better track & estimate how a wine will progress.

For instance, JFMugnier usually makes the NsG CdM in splits, 750s, & mags. So I plan to buy them when/where I can find them in 375mls to save myself from opening a 750ml or maggie too early.

Champagne is good in half bottles. Sometimes you just want a little more to drink at the end of the night.

1 Like

++1 Most times, one glass of bubbles is perfect for the wife and I. Not so with the major reds and whites. Cheers! champagne.gif

I’m with Michael on buying splits of Champagne. Mostly Krug. Wish more champagne producers bottled 375s

1 Like

I bought some Bedrock Heritages this year in 375’s. Allows me to check in on the progression without opening a 750 or needing a Coravin.

I also have bought Jaffurs’ Santa Barbara County Syrahs in 375’s for nights when my wife does not want to join me in sharing a bottle.

Champagne for sure. Love 1/2 bottles of Champagne. Have a really great stopper that seems to keep open bottles fresh for days in the fridge, but being able to only open a 1/2 is a nice option as long as the half bottle premium isn’t too high.

For any still wines, as Brent mentions above, on opening I immediately funnel half into clean screwcapped 375’s, use dry erase marker to label and stick it back in the cellar for later consumption. I open more bottles per week now, but drink less which can’t be a bad thing.

Ports and Sauternes. Seldom is a 750ml needed. And, long periods an go between drinking a sweet wine.

Love champagne in 375ml. Problem is they never last long in my cellar!

Like others: Krug.

I bought a little over 4 cases worth of 2019 Bordeaux futures in half bottle. Hopefully they’ll be approaching maturity at 15 years of age rather than 25!

I was just thinking this as well. My wife is drinking less and I love the 1/2 bottle size. I am building a new cellar and planning to put a lot of 1/2 bottle space in.

My favs is Rhys, but I have gotten some great ones from Patricia Green as well.

I tried the Bedrock Heritage and it was good, but I think it needs more time.

Agree with 1/2 bottles of champagne. Especially liked the Launois when I could get it.

What other places do people buy from in halfsies?

Pretty much only two things - Sauternes and Baumard Quarts de Chaume.

Years ago when I was new in the business I would stop at a local shop and clean them out of 375mL of 1990 Ridge Lytton Springs and Geyserville.

The irony is I value them because they are convenient for more casual opening. But I always have so few that I tend to hoard them.

Wine.com has some good half bottles most of the time. I ordered many 375ml 2019 bordeaux cases from millesima and will do the same for 2020.
Ridge sells 375mls of a handful of their wines. You can get 375ml monte bello if you order futures.

I don’t really need much of anything in a 750 format. But 375s are my favorite format these days, and good for pandemic so over the last 6 months

Krug MV
Louis Roederer Rose 2012
Donnhoff Feslenberg GG 2019
Huet Le Haut Lieu 2019
Jadot Clos Ursules 2018
Altesino Brunello 2016
Bouchard Volnay Caillerets Cuvee Carnot 2005

and historically
Felisina Rancia Riserva
d’Angerville Clos des Ducs

Have been available in several nice vintages.

I blew it on 375s during my wine accumulation period. For a daily drinker like me, it is a perfect format, and never have to worry about how to preserve the remainder of a 750 of a mature wine. I wish 1/2 of my Bordeaux collection was in 375 format.

Basically nothing. Sometimes a TBA or BA.

I used to buy in 375, especially champagne, for the reasons everyone has already shared above. The problem was those reasons only seemed to be true in theory in our house. Almost every time I opened one 375, I ended up opening another. So now I don’t buy them.

Considering how many people extol the virtues and pleasures of Day 2 and Day 3 wine on this board, I’m surprised people bother with halves at all!

2 Likes