Mature Frederic Emile

Some recent Trimbach Frederic Emile.
The 1989 VT is beautifully mature with a hint of petrol. Off dry.
The 1983 SGN is fully mature with the burnished flavors of age. More petrol than the 1989. Also off dry.
I prefer the VT. The SGN might be a bit too rich and ripe for me given they’re both only off dry.
P1040322 - Copy.JPG
P1040325.JPG

1 Like

June 2018 at the domain :
Riesling Frédéric Emile 1990 : 18,5/19
Bouteille parfaite selon Pierre Trimbach. Nez d’une précision diabolique, complexe (bergamote, tilleul, coco, cassis, framboise). Matière au long cours, spectaculaire, très sapide, encore très jeune, avec une formidable énergie interne (et une impression – paradoxale ? - de jus de fruits frais).

November 2013 at the domain :
22. Trimbach Riesling Frédéric Emile 1983 : LG18,5/20
Encore une somptueuse expression, complexifiée par l’âge, exprimant la Chartreuse, la crème catalane, le bellota, les agrumes, la cire … Le couple acidité/chair est magistral. Saveurs parfaitement en place, harmonie d’ensemble, envergure, liesse … un régal !
Comme dans le cas du 1990, les fondamentaux répondent présent : puissance, complexité, finesse et équilibre caractérisent un grand vin de garde en apogée.

23. Trimbach Riesling Frédéric Emile 1976 : LG16,5/20
Coincé entre les magnifiques et endurants 1983 et 1971, ce 1976 ne démérite pas mais apparaît un peu plus ingrat, forcément. Odeurs de lavande, de thym, de cédrat, de mandarine, de résine, de kérosène (dixit Pierre Trimbach). L’acidité prend un peu le dessus dans un substrat austère, pas très sensuel, un peu dépouillé (moins constitué en tout cas). Les goûts de ce vin certes plus tout jeune sont intéressants mais ne vont pas aussi loin.

24. Trimbach Riesling Frédéric Emile 1971 : LG18/20
Fraîcheur et propreté aromatique, maturité, dans un bouquet de Riesling de grande qualité : infusion, rillettes, vieux jambon andalou, écorce d’orange, bonbon des Vosges, curcuma, encaustique …
Un quadragénaire de belle santé, spectaculaire, doté de saveurs encore très fraîches et d’une tenue en bouche irréprochable. On ne devrait plus trop se compliquer la vie avec les subjectivités de l’analyse sensorielle quand on savoure un tel « vieux » vin, abouti en trame et en goût … (enfin, peut-être au moins une quand même, nous le verrons dans la conclusion).

Thanks for posting- I bet those are beautiful wines. I had the regular 1989 CFE a couple of years ago and it was spectacular. Still think of that bottle sometimes…

I rarely drink “sweet” Trimbach wines.

I formerly found great :
Frédéric Emile VT 1990
Clos Ste-Hune VT 1989

For some unknown reasons…Trimbach PG VT & PG SNG from vintage 1983, 1985, 1989 ( as in 375 ml ) and also CdHune 1989 VT and CSHune 1989 VT-Hors choix…never got to me.

As they aged them more…the acidity ate away the sweetness…and they all become in-between ( not sweet and not bone-dry). I gave them all up and let someone drink them. The gentleman at Acker asked me : what is the meaning of Hors-choix ?

Thanks for notes Eric.
I’ve probably gone through 15+ bottles of the '89 CFE VT (several different purchases), and always loved. It barely qualifies as off-dry, fruit is sweet but I don’t think there’s much RS there (and plenty of acid), would probably qualify as trocken if it were German (and young). The '90 CFE VT is a bit sweeter, though still dry by VT standards (think halbtrocken).
My only bottle of the 83 CFE SGN didn’t really move me, though sound.

I’m a big Trimbach fan, but the sweet Pinot Gris bottlings are probably my least favorite.

Thank…Dale. Most likely…you are right …on the point …due to the grape - Pinot Gris.

During the early 1980s…I much prefer to drink CSt-HUne as they were easily available and the prices were reasonable.

Thanks for the notes. I still remember quite vividly a 1983 VT a couple of years ago. It was just glorious and stood head and shoulders above a bunch of other no-slouch aged Riesling. Wish these were easy to backfill :slight_smile:!!