PYCM rouge opinions?

Hi all –
I’ve loved all the PYCM blancs I’ve tasted, and have found them to be a decent value across the board (all things considered). But I’ve never tried any of the reds.

There aren’t a ton of tasting notes from what I can tell, so for those that have tried them: what do you think? Stylistically, are there any other producers you’d compare them to?

Appreciate any and all thoughts.

Good topic. I’ve wondered the same thing, myself.

me as well. I assume they are not from domaine holdings?

I picked up a mixed case of the NSG Boudots (16, 17 and 18 vintage) but have not cracked one yet. Supposed to be 30% whole cluster. I heard that Pierre Yves is working with “a grower in Vosne Romanee”, but don’t know more than that.

I have only had one red by him - a 2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Santenay Vieilles Vignes Ceps Centenaires that I had early last year and did not find it up to the quality of the whites. My note was that it was light with not enough complexity or enough of a finish to make it more interesting. I thought it was good, not great. It may just have been too young. I have another bottle that I am waiting a few more years to open.

I would also like to know more after accidentally buying a Chassagne Rouge instead of a Blanc.

FYI - It’s easy to miss as the packaging is nearly identical and the glass is so thick and tinted you can miss it that way too.

I’ve had the 2013 version of this and thought it was an excellent Santanay. Good enough that I bought a few more. I find it red fruited and sappy, not amazingly complex but very nice. I bought a couple of tnr 2014 but haven’t drunk one yet.

Also I paid $25-35 for the bottles so I wanted expecting GC quality. That said, the white are better than the reds. As if anyone here doesn’t already know that.

At the price I paid, it better be at least grand cru quality!!

• 2010 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Santenay Vieilles Vignes Ceps Centenaires - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Santenay (12/9/2016)
    Classic Burgundy nose. Palate has strong red fruit & sturdy tannic backbone, gentle spice and a really strong acid kick. The acid isn’t integrated at this point and, while this is quite nice, in 5-10 years it will be on another level. Regardless this is a stupendous value at the twenty dollar purchase price. Excellent. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I just signed up for this tasting, so I should have a better opinion after Wednesday, and will report back.

Vin Vino Wine Weekly Distanced Tasting Wednesday, February 10
Zoom Meeting at 6 pm (optional)
Red Burgundy The Avant Garde
Wines to be tasted:

2018 Santenay ‘Vieilles Vignes,’ Dom. Paul Pillot $56
2018 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru ‘Clos Saint Jean,’ Dom. Paul Pillot $112
2018 Chassagne-Montrachet, Caroline Morey $64
2018 Beaune 1er Cru ‘Les Grèves,’ Caroline Morey $104
2018 Volnay 1er Cru ‘Taillpieds,’ Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey $154
2017 Volnay 1er Cru ‘Taillpieds,’ Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey $148
2018 Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru ‘Les Boudots,’ Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey $218
2017 Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru ‘Les Boudots,’ Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey $218

Full Flight $158 2.5 oz. pours

Those prices are nuts. For the taillepieds, I paid $75-$80 all in and $100 for the boudots.

1 Like

In 2019, I opened a '16 NSG ‘Boudots’, which wasn’t really all that expensive at the time. Here’s what I wrote:

This is bright, subtle, and very pretty. More Vosne than Nuits, this shows suave red fruits, subtle minerals, and vibrant acid in a light-middleweight package. Relatively simple at this stage, and not all that grand, but well balanced and very drinkable. Age hopefully will unlock more depth and complexity (90 pts)

No argument from me on the prices, It’s a local shop and the prices have never been the draw. They pour the wines at a tasting bar (pre-Covid), so they price more like a restaurant than a retail wine shop. They do give you 15% off if you buy from the tasting, but you can almost always find the wines cheaper with a quick search.

The draw is the frequent tastings of good producers where you can try new producers etc.

BTW have you tried the wines? Love to hear your opinion/tasting notes.

Hi Zac,

Picked up a bottle of bottle of 2011 Volnay Champans on sale in Boise last fall and sampled it soon thereafter. It was a very good showing and I gave it a 90. Balanced and light-bodied, without fireworks at this early stage.

Cheers,
Doug

Sorry, not planning to touch mine for another decade at least. In pycm I trust!

Similar to the red wines from Roulot I don’t feel they can reach the heights of the whites. But, I feel that they are priced a little bit higher than they should be - because of hoopla around the whites. In blind tastings they’ve come in the middle of the pack - not saying the wines are bad by any means, I just have not felt the urge to seek them out anymore.
On the other hand reds from a typically white producer that I like are from Thomas Morey.

I just posted a new topic on a recent tasting that had a few of his reds from 17 and 18.