Unexpected wine decoration

I moved into a new apartment building about a year ago and there are big glass carboys dotting the common space as decorations. I never paid them much mind, but then noticed a small label on each of them that said 1884 Chateau Palmer! I have no reason to doubt that these are real. Too bad they aren’t still filled with wine…

unnamed.jpg

And a close up.
unnamed-1.jpg

1 Like

That’s cool!

Wrong font, implausible storage container, and paper doesn’t last that long, but no reason not to believe. These are the days of creating your own truth out of better stuff than reality.

1 Like

All right, Peter…Not sure where you get your information that paper doesn’t last 100+ years. I do plead ignorance when it comes to glass vessel specifications and preferred font in late 19th century Haut-Medoc. I just thought it an unlikely effort of forgery to fake a huge old 3rd Growth Bordeaux bottle and sneak it unsuspectingly into the lobby of a random apartment building in New Haven,CT to hold decorative sticks. I just thought it was kind of cool and that a few readers would get a kick out of it. Please don’t take my initial post as anything larger than that, especially some sort of comment on Trumpian post-trutherism.

ask Audouze!

I think that whomever put that label there meant to give a moment of amusement to the occasional person who would recognize the name. Using a first growth would have spoiled the joke. Just because I have doubts doesn’t mean I didn’t appreciate the effort and the post.

Well, this is wine talk. Did you look for Rudi’s initials?

I can’t speak to the glass, but the concept that paper doesn’t last 100 years is absurd. I have books with pristine paper dating back 400+ years.

You can buy the exact bottle/decoration on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/French-Wine-Bottle-Carboy-1884-In-Wooden-Crate-Chateau-Palmer-Antique-/352840406474?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Boatloads on esty Demijohn in Crate French Primitive Demijohn french Wine - Etsy

1 Like

Yes, in the old days paper was made from “rag” (flax, cotton, and other fibers). Paper made from wood pulp is modern development. Cotton Bond is still used for archival purposes today.

http://www.conservatree.org/learn/Papermaking/History.shtml

Rudy tell with the ‘E’