TN: Nittardi, Henri Giraud, Prager

A mixed trio of bottles opened this week. Really positively surprised how well a Chianti Classico normale could be drinking at 20 years+. Somehow the Prager got worse in the fridge overnight with the finish turning to somewhat harsh but as they say I suppose that is not an indication of how the wine would develop in the cellar. The last time I had the Giraud (from 75cl though) it was just a totally different animal than now but I can’t really say which expression I prefer. A nice wine all the same.

• 1999 Fattoria Nittardi Chianti Classico Casanuova di Nittardi - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (7.2.2021)
    Decanted for 1h+, after which this bold-colored wine smells mighty nice; dark sour cherry, dust, leather, some wood and minerally tones are all there in a very recognizable fashion. Beautifully mature, yet vibrant and bright and more than anything very, very pretty. On the palate it has unsurprisingly dropped all the fat that might have been there once, yet it maintains a pleasantly chewy, savory cherry-driven fruit. Dry and bright similarly to the nose, with lively acidity and some tannic grip. Fully mature and at its peak, this drinks splendidly well and I doubt it has lost a step yet. While the ABV seems like it could be more than the labeled 13% I find this well balanced and pretty classic and an overall success. Clearly a wine for the table, but highly charming still. I suppose the producer did not intend this to be cellared for so long but the proof is in the glass, this one easily went the distance.
  • NV Henri Giraud Champagne Esprit Nature - France, Champagne (7.2.2021)
    From a half bottle, no dg information stated. Way more developed on the nose than my past experiences but very nice all the same. Ripe apple, sea breeze, buttered toast and smoke with a rather distinct Sherry-esque oxidative edge. On the palate quite broad with a spry, persistent mousse. Rich with a fairly traditional dosage, i.e. this is by no means brutally dry. I find it well balanced. Flavors are very similar to the nose besides the oxidation which is a bit less prominent. There is good acidity and some bitter tones that bring nuance to the whole. Altogether pleasant and enjoyable, at this price point it is pretty impeccable in its rich, developed yet still vibrant style.
  • 2018 Prager Riesling Federspiel Steinriegl - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (7.2.2021)
    Wonderfully bright and detailed on the nose with notes of green apple, peach, slate and some sponti funk. Smells of summer! On the palate bone dry and highly acidic yet with certain airiness. Wonderfully crisp and lively, certainly a bit tight and nervous as well. Very young but enjoyable, guaranteed to age well. Mouthwatering on the finish.

Posted from CellarTracker