18 Lytton or geyserville?

If you were going to open one bottle tonight which would you open?

I could also potentially reach for a 375 of 15 geyserville or Lytton I guess if ppl thought the 18s were a no go.

1 Like

Both?

1 Like

I havenā€™t had the '18 Lytton but the '18 Geyserville is a very nice vintage for the wine. Itā€™s rich and a bit glossy but itā€™s well-balanced and about as good as a young Geyser gets. Itā€™ll improve but if you an tolerate some oak itā€™s nice now.

1 Like

Havenā€™t had the Lytton yet, but the 18 Geyser was pretty damn good a few months back. Probably canā€™t go wrong with either

Geyservilleā€¦weā€™ve plowed through a case of the ā€˜18 already, but feel the Lytton needs another year or two to resolve.

I had a 375ml of the Lytton not long ago that was delish.

Iā€™ve really loved the two bottles of the '18 Geyserville Iā€™ve had. I canā€™t answer the binary question here but Iā€™d recommend buying the Geyserville.

I have both; i meant to open. Iā€™ll probably go with the 15 Lytton just bc itā€™s what I was able to find when going down to the cellar.

I found the Lytton to be the more forward, ripe classic Zin in profile of the two. The Geyserville that drinks more like an older school balanced wine. It will benefit from age more than the Lytton in my estimation. Drinks fine now but I would decant first.

I am probably splitting hairs because both are fantastic, but I have always enjoyed Geyserville just a slight bit more than Lytton Springs. The Carignan/Petit Syrah blend in Lytton if tasted side by side. However, it is a small distinction and both are fantastic.

In my opinion, the 2018 Lytton Springs is very good, and the 2018 Geyserville is great. One of the best of the decade and one that may not shut down. I would go with the Geyserville.

Ed

I tasted them head to head (blind, my pregnant wife poured) about a month ago to see which one I would buy more of immediately. I liked the Geyserville more as it is more open. The Lytton has more tannin right now and is ā€œtightā€ as a PNP or very little air. They are both delicious, so you really canā€™t go wrong. Geyserville though is so open and multi-dimensional. Just as a comparison, the friend that I had them with preferred the Lytton. I think he described it as ā€œmore biteyā€ā€¦probably a reference to structure/tannin. Cheers!

Yep, i completely agree! Theyā€™re both great, but if pressedā€¦Iā€™d lean more towards the Geyserville camp.

I ended up opening the 15 Lytton which was great although I only ended up drinking a glass; still have one more to drink tonight!

2 Likes