A more 'contemporary' designed wine bottle basket - any reccs?

Jen hates my wine bottle basket, which is like the one below: (which I find is about the most contemporary as what is out there)

I tried to find a more ‘contemporary’ design, but it’s ALL like this, or worse, in terms of looking old fashioned. Anyone know of a more contemporary or modern designed bottle basket?

at the LA NoMAD Hotel they have a metal and leather sling that holds both 750ml and mags.
I couldn’t find a picture for you

this is what you want

https://www.kogodwine.com/products/portae-wine-cradle-black

$337!?! [wow.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

that is very similar to the NoMad cradle

The Portae is a very nice cradle. Outrageous price though. I believe it’s what they use at the NoMad. At least the NY one.

I use this cheap one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L9YRCVV

I bet you could find someone on Etsy who could custom-make something similar to that expensive one for a lot less. I have a magazine rack in a similar style that I got on Etsy for far less than that. Or there may be other options on Etsy. I’ve found it to be a pretty good source for random stuff like this, and if you find the right seller they can customize (some of them just re-sell garbage made elsewhere, so you do have to be a little bit careful).

Ryan Bailey is the beverage director at the NoMad, and makes the Portae cradle, so I’d expect they’d use it at the NoMad :slight_smile:

The Portae Cradle was born from a practical need to update a classic tool. The intentional design allows collectors of all types and sizes of bottles, from half size to magnum, to serve their wines with a single cradle.

Translation: Inspired by the desire to charge ludicrous prices for low-cost-to-manufacture items styled so they can be dubbed “luxury goods.”

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. They probably get a pretty nice employee discount too [snort.gif] neener

Re-purpose something from the Good Will donate pile.
Nothing more contemporary than being green and recycling.
41UJt2pEJTL.AC_SR160,160.jpg

1 Like

Can someone explain to me what the point of something like this is? Is this for holding an open bottle on the table?

The goal is to not move the bottle too much to disturb the sediment resting on the side of the bottle. People usually do this is they are pulling something old from the cellar but haven’t had the opportunity to stand it up for a while. Hence why you usually end up seeing this much more in restaurants than in home settings.

1 Like

I’ll happily tell my wife that if she wants a more ‘modern’ basket, she can spend $337 on one for me!!! I should be good now

Has anyone tried this version?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYHGLLZ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07XYHGLLZ&pd_rd_w=AGSrT&pf_rd_p=b34bfa80-68f6-4e86-a996-32f7afe08deb&pd_rd_wg=qhKK7&pf_rd_r=G1BH4PRVSPQC8M9QJ8D7&pd_rd_r=678336c7-4b65-432c-b372-5d4a953250aa&smid=A3AWLQQ72QSTX9&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHVE9VSkVGQ0dZT0MmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0NzYxMjYzMEg4VlpWNFhXMjNRJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwMDA4MzJOTkNMOTZCSk9VU1Mmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl#customerReviews

It looks like the bottle could slide out the top unless you keep pressure on with your thumb. No written reviews. . .

[rofl.gif]

They should call it the iCradle.

1 Like

If they did, all the fanboys (like me) and fangirls would buy it

That’s actually a cool design…there’s a hinged section to hold the bottle in place, but yeah, have to press with your thumb…seems like if they just moved the section forward a bit it would solve the problem