Wine to serve with Keen's Mutton Chops??

Just received two 26 oz mutton chops from Keen’s Steakhouse via Goldbelly. Kind of stumped. Any suggestions for wine pairing? Thanks!

how are you cooking them?, and what are you serving with them?

1 Like

Mature Northern Rhone or traditionally-styled Barolo/Barbaresco. I know this is off the beaten path, but a Paolo Bea Sagrantino would be amazing too. If going outside of Bea but with Sagrantino, just beware of producers that use new oak.

Frankly, anything with a good earth and acid component. Those Keen’s mutton chops are packed with flavor but also have a good amount of marbled fat. You need the acid to cut through and cleanse the palate between bites.

PS: I’m very jealous, I miss Keen’s so much.

5 Likes

I like the Keen’s mutton chops, but I think they’re actually lamb- not spring lamb, so a bit gamey but not really mutton either. It’s basically a pair of loin chops. I’ve had at Bordeaux and N Rhone dinners and it’s a fine match.

2 Likes

Probably according to the instructions that came with them (and mashed potatoes):

To Serve

If frozen, let defrost in the refrigerator overnight
Let the mutton chops come to room temperature
Pat dry with paper towel and season both sides with kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Heat a heavy bottom ovenproof sauté pan, add 2 oz cooking oil and when the oil is hot, brown the mutton on all sides
Pour out any excess fat and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until an internal temperature of 130 degrees is reached
Let rest for 3-5 minutes before serving with mint jelly on the side

Thanks, Eric!

We’re having one tomorrow–they’re huge, and freezing the second.
Right now, I’ve a limited selection of wine on hand–I need to make a run to West Palm Wines (Storage) in Tampa to replenish my wine cabinet.
These are some possibilities I’ve on hand:
Pax Hillsides 2016
Conterno Fantino Barolo Sori Ginestra 2008
Clerico Barolo Ginestra 2006
Fontodi Sorbo 2010
Galardi 2008
Mastrojanni Brunello 2010
Sori Paitin Barbaresco 2010
Felsina Rancia 2004

Suggestions??

Moderately mature BDX or Northern rhone, if I was serving a young wine I would probably open a 2016 Terre Nere Rosso.
EDIT ( just saw your list), add a bit of truffle oil to your mash and serve the 04 Rancia

1 Like

I had it once in the restaurant, I recall thinking how large they were upon serving. but it was not actually not oversized net of the bone and fat.

1 Like

Thanks.

Well, I also have 2010s Bon Pasteur, Clos l"Oratoire, an '09 Malescot on hand, but not exactly mature. I need to get to Tampa!

Yea, you might be right Dale. The website description: “Mutton is mature lamb and thus more flavorful than its younger counterpart.” I love lamb . . . more than beef! Should have been born in Great Britain . . . as I drink tea rather than coffee, and love scones!

Dale beat me to it.

What he said.

Good aged Loire Cab Franc with nice acid and good funk would work well as well. Had a 1989 Chateau de Chaintres Saumur-Champigny this week that would be beautiful with mutton.

Mutton Chops ? Don’t forget to bring this guy (and some NoRho!)
2021-02-05_14-34-07.jpg

Zin

Chave

Seems like the answer is: anything!

Which is really not a bad answer. I love Keen’s mutton chops and have thad hem at Barolo, Northern Rhone and Cabernet based offlines and they are pretty terrific with all of the above, though given what you have on hand I would opt for the 2004 Felsina Rancia, which is right in its sweet spot. The Galardi would also be excellent, probably a better pairing than the Rancia, though it is in early maturity. Maybe open both!

1 Like

Thanks, Gregory. Think I’ll coravin samples of the Galardi, Rancia, and maybe the CF Barolo Ginestra and let the Chef decide!

A great pairing is a top Graves. Mature Haut Brion and lamb is an amazing combination.

1 Like

They’re lamb because Americans stopped eating mutton a while ago, feeling that it’s too flavorful. I suppose that may change since people are adventurous these days. But last time I was there we had a lot of Spanish wines. In Spain it’s not uncommon to have lamb for lunch. But they pretty much go with any wine you can think of. I’d probably go with a Syrah, but just grill those things and open something good.

1 Like

Sorry it took so long to check back it seems like you’re totally on the right track here. I would have called out that Galardi 2008 if it could only be one from your selection above.

1 Like