Smoked meat/ Pastrami wine match?

My younger son has been accepted to all the schools he applied to, so we’re celebrating in a covid-friendly way by ordering take-out to eat at home. He’s chosen the huge, but delicious sandwiches from a deli that’s not too far from us. I know its not an ideal wine friendly food between the mustard, sides of sour pickles and coleslaw, but I want to be able to toast with something vinous.

1st thought was young rose champagne, but the Mrs isn’t a really a fan.
Anyone ever contemplated this pairing?

Does Dr. Browns make wine ? Lol. Congrats on the achievement.

1 Like

+1 on Dr. Browns and on Champagne but if they’re out…

How about a Spatlese or even Auslese with good acidity?

Rose, Syrah, Grenache, CdP. I make smoked bbq pork w coleslaw all the time and a bright Rose always works. Pastrami w pickles and mustard might do better with a deeper red.

Specifically any Syrah or Grenache from Cayuse, Reynvaan, some other Rocks of Milton Freewater often have smoky and pickled meat notes that match perfectly. Those wines are NOT for everyone, so for a toast I might go pink champagne. Or a Rhône Provence Rose.

Congrats to your son!

Toast with Dom. Drink with the Dr.
Congratulations!!

A nice Tavel rose is a good idea.

Not the time to break out your LdH or Cotat.

Riesling

I’m with Jay and Jordan on the riesling. I wouldn’t go as high as an Auslese, but a Spatlese or even Kabinett is great with pastrami. And those wines work well with mustard-heavy dishes (e.g., potato salad with a lot of mustard).

Gruner Veltliner. Old Auslese. Champagne, preferably not low dosage. Dry Sherry. Rioja with some age.

Cheers guys - I like the Riesling idea. Everyone here loves it too.
I don’t know Dr. Brown? A soda?

1 Like

Yup. Dr. Brown's - Wikipedia

Mmmmm. Go for the Cel-Ray with a low dosage

1 Like

Dr Brown’s vanilla cream soda-- they make other flavors but the vanilla cream soda is the best, IMHO.

It’s the usual drink in delis when you want a pastrami, corned beef, or reuben sandwich.

1 Like

I froze some pastrami I made in the fall and had sandwiches last night. I popped a bottle of 2018 Ridge Three Valleys. I think a fruit forward new world Pinot Noir would be great too.

It’s a very New York thing. Not really known in the rest of the country, save maybe Florida, evidently.

Drier Riesling…but Beer is best

If this is a Canadian menu, I would add some poutine to it!

Just about anything could go with it, but keep it simple.

I’d say a good, young, Cru Beaujolais or Bourgogne. They both love mustard.

Pastrami originated from Romania. I’m not familiar enough with Romanian wine–but it is next to Hungary. Maybe Furmint?

For some reason, it seems like a good Russian Imperial Stout would pair well too.

1 Like

This. Toast with champagne before the meal to celebrate and a good cold beer with the smoked meat. I’m sure you can find many wines that would work but with smoked meat, beer is king. Especially dark beers.