TN: 2018 Sandlands Zinfandel

Crimson in color. 14.4% ABV. Pretty nose of red fruits, citrus and flowers. Light to medium body with perfect acidity. Fresh, lithe and charming. Claret style Zinfandel. Raspberry, salmonberry, earth and minerals on the palate. Nice length on the finish. Fantastic Zinfandel that is absolutely true to the Sandlands house style. Best over the next 2-3 years.

My rating: 92 points.

Full review on Zinfandel Chronicles - Zinfandel of the Month - 2018 Sandlands Zinfandel | Zinfandel Chronicles

Cheers, Tom
IMG_0006-1-scaled-e1610208113835.jpg

Woaaaahhhh, drinking this as we speak. A lot of the same impressions, but I said 91++? Either way, this is really enjoyable now and offers a pretty interesting comparison to the Turley wine made by the same guy from the same fruit (though i havenā€™t tried the 2018 Turley version).

Is there a difference between 91++ and 92? 91 and 92? Really, what do those numbers mean?

1 Like

Nice note, thanks.

Butā€¦ Claret style, and best over the next 2-3 years?

Donā€™t some claret styled Zins live for 20-30 years? I tend to let my bold zins sit five years, and am happy to leave lower alcohol versions laying forever.

I have to open one of these soon.

I popped a bottle almost a year ago before release when it was quite young. Nice to see some development. My note for comparison sake.

• 2018 Sandlands Zinfandel - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (4/5/2020)
    Was wound up on day 1 so I recorked and left it sit for a few days, notes from day 4.
    Nose of blackberry and spice. Red currant, black cherry and bramble accentuate the palate. Crunchy dark fruit, more black cherry and raspberry that doesnā€™t hit you like a ton of bricks but rather caresses the tastebuds with round berry fruit, a creamy texture and minimal alcohol. Reminiscent of a fine Claret, light on itā€™s feet but no slouch either. Needs a little time for tannins to soften then this will really shine. Easy buy when the release comes.

Posted from CellarTracker

Fascinating tasting note, Brian!

I would not have guessed that this note belonged to a Lodi-sourced vineyard if I had not known it was a Sandlands wine. I understand that there is a trend developing in the region away from the mode of extraction, concentration, and over-oakingā€¦but, still.

Iā€™m not in the 20-30 year camp for any Zins regardless of style. Like most the Sandlands wines (IMO) I think this best enjoyed on the younger side.

Tom

Had this last week and really loved it. The lower alcohol seemed to allow the flavors to really play on the palate with no heat but rather waves of changing flavors. Wish I had more. So different from the many higher alcohol zins I still love. Almost pinot like in the lightness.

Only good for the next 2-3 years? That is an extraordinarily small window of pleasure.

I agree with most of your tasting notes, but disagree that it will be best over 2-3 years. We got lots of reduction on the 2018 Zin when we popped and poured. It needed the better part of 3 hours in decanter to blow off and was much better on day 2. Based on the reductive aspect and the firm backbone, I would recommend not opening the 2018 Zin for another 3-4 years. It should last at least 10-15 years.

I had one question about Brianā€™s and Tomā€™s notes, and hopefully I can succeed in asking this in a way that shows my interest and curiosity rather than seeming critical or nitpicky:

Both notes refer to it as claret-like. But the descriptors of crunchy raspberry, bramble and so forth donā€™t sound like claret, at least not as I think of it. They certainly sound like zinfandel.

I get the sense you were using it as a compliment to mean ā€œnot overblown like some other zinfandel is.ā€ Is that what you meant, or did you mean it really reminds of Bordeaux or other claret?

Thanks, hopefully you guys can ā€œclaretā€ up for me. Great notes, by the way, and Iā€™m looking forward to drinking mine one of these days.

Had the same question about Claret. Also, what is Sandlandā€™s ā€œhouse style?ā€

I JUST got my first Sandland offer earlier this week, so Iā€™m still a virgin. Great notes!

Relative to other wines that I thought were xx good, I would have ever so slightly preferred them over this (xx-1)ā€¦ What every system of ranking has ever done in the history of the world.

Obviously, the one with 92 is pointier than the other one. It is not the pointiest has ever seen, but its pointiness is more pronounced.

I canā€™t speak to what other posters meant by ā€˜claret-styleā€™ but I opened one of these last night and it was definitely lighter than many zins Iā€™ve tasted. It was brambly and recognizable as zin, not bordeaux-like to my palate, but also as a prior poster noted almost pinot-like in itā€™s feel. This is probably too obscure to be a useful reference point, but it reminded me of Birichinoā€™s St. George zin and perhaps some Dashe zins. It is definitely a style that I prefer.

1 Like

Iā€™d say red fruited, light in color, low to very low alcohol (for the applicable variety), no noticeable oak influence, crisp acids. And many of the wines are made from fairly rare/obscure varieties, or at least rare in California.

1 Like

Excellent!

Agreed. This is what I think of as Sandlands ā€œhouse styleā€.

Tom

1 Like

For me Claret style means light to medium body, fresh, crisp acids. Zins like Sky, Dashe and Sandlands immediately come to mind. This is opposed to a more modern style. Full bodied, ripe, jammy. Martinelli would be a good example.

Tom

Sounds different than the wine I had. Interesting.

Tom