TN: 2018 Fritz Haag - Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Großes Gewächs (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

TN: 2018 Fritz Haag - Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Großes Gewächs (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

2018 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/22/2021)
-- popped and poured --
-- tasted non-blind over a couple hours on Day 1; revisited on Day 4 --
-- AP #: ... 08 19 --

NOSE: wow --- smells a bit sweet --- strong honey note; hint of lime; petrichor; no petrol; pretty expressive. Day 4: like it a bit more today --- still honeyed, but some lime/lychee/gooseberry now.

BODY: medium green-yellow color; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: very dry, but still with some fruit flavor; strong mineral, especially on the mid palate; 13% alc.; medium acidity (I would like more); drinks best a bit on the cool side; hint of peach; good concentration, and that will be how/why this ages well, if it does. Hint of peach donut gummies on Day 4. I'd like to see if this sheds some fat with a few years in the cellar: at present, it just doesn't have the acidity required to cut through its density. This will be a nervous Hold for me, but I don't see the point in doing anything else, as it's an underwhelming 91, for my preferences.

50, 5, 12, 17, 7 = (91 pts.)
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Return to “Wine Talk”