Once & Future Spring Release - March 2, 2021

Once and Future Wine, helmed by the “Godfather of Zin” Mr Joel Peterson, has scheduled its Spring 2021 Release for March 2nd. From the winery email:

"Never drink boring wine!

"Once & Future is here to help you avoid that all too common pitfall. It is time for the Spring Release of the Once & Future 2019 not boring, exceptionally exciting wines. What we have here is a stellar vintage from superlative vineyards.

Our Spring release will take place at 12:01am PST, Tuesday, March 2, 2021. The offering will be open until 11:59 pm PST, Friday March 12, 2021.

The Wines:

· “Dickerson Vineyard” Zinfandel

· “Green & Red Vineyard” Zinfandel

· “Oakley Road” Mataro

· “Oakley Road” Zinfandel

· “Teldeschi Vineyard ‘Frank’s Block’” Zinfandel

· “Bedrock Vineyard” Zinfandel

· “Old Hill Ranch” Zinfandel

· “Palisades” Petite Sirah

"I will be releasing eight vineyard-designated wines from my 2019 vintage:

"Dickerson Vineyard Zinfandel / 150 cases

"The 2019 Dickerson Zinfandel is pure Zinfandel. Brilliant, but not dark in color. Bright red currents, raspberry fruit and baking spice scents with hints of mint and cedar aromas are supported by the subtle vanilla and toast of the French oak (40% new). Bright, mouthwatering and juicy on the palate, the wine finishes with soft tannins that are pleasing and do not detract from the freshness or purity of this wine.

"93 Points - Vinous, Antonio Galloni | Review Date - January 2021

"Green & Red Vineyard Zinfandel / 350 cases

"The 2019 Green and Red Zinfandel has a deep colored wine’s aroma redolent of plums, cherries and black pepper. There is a touch of the vanilla and toast of French oak that is beautifully balanced with the ethereal perfumed scents associated with this elevated site. Full and rich in the mouth with pleasing freshness punctuated by fine supportive tannins. Delicious now, this wine will continue to give pleasure to the drinker for many years.

"94 Points - Vinous, Antonio Galloni | Review Date - January 2021

"Oakley Road Mataro / 360 cases

"The 2019 Mataro has an aroma that is redolent of sweet red cherries, with hints of bay leaf and wood smoke. There is dollop of vanilla and caramel from the new (25%) French oak that adds roundness and depth to the bouquet. In the mouth the wine is bright, rich and red fruit driven with all the suppleness that one would expect from 100 year old, own root vines in such sandy soils.

92 Points - Vinous, Antonio Galloni | Review Date - January 2021

"Oakley Road Zinfandel / 555 cases

"The 2019 Oakley Road Zinfandel has aromatics that are a harmonious mix of black raspberries and pomegranates mingling with hints of vanilla, allspice and sandalwood. The wine is full in the mouth with sweet raspberry/cherry flavors. The finish is juicy, long, and punctuated by the lovely silky tannin finish that define these Oakley own rooted sandy soil wines.

"93 Points - Vinous, Antonio Galloni | Review Date - January 2021

"Teldeschi Vineyard “Frank’s Block” Zinfandel / 428 cases

"The 2019 Teldeschi Zinfandel has a lovely deep color. The nose is a perfumed mix of black cherries, citrus zest, vanilla and exotic spice. The mouth feel is round and silky smooth. The finish is fresh, bright, fruitful, balanced and persistent. Delicious now, this will provide drinking pleasure for many more years.

"95 Points - Vinous, Antonio Galloni | Review Date - January 2021

"Bedrock Vineyard Zinfandel / 275 cases

"The 2019 Bedrock Zinfandel has intense black fruit, currents and aromatic spices which grace the powerful, complex bouquet of this wine. Undercurrents of mint and vanilla add depth to the bouquet. In the mouth the wine is broad, rich and spicy. The finish is long with complex dark fruit flavors that are persistent. The assertive structure of this wine testifies to the high skin to juice ratio that is typical of this old, dry farmed vineyard. This wine sings of its location and history.

"94 Points - Vinous, Antonio Galloni | Review Date - January 2021

"Old Hill Ranch Zinfandel / 302 cases

The 2019 Old Hill Ranch has black cherries, blackberries, and aromatic spices with a hint of camphor which speaks to the complex mix of grapes in this wine. In the mouth there is a dense wall of flavor that will become differentiated as the wine evolves. Black fruit flavors dominate. The tannin is assertive and the finish long indicating that this is a wine that will cellar well.

"95 Points - Vinous, Antonio Galloni | Review Date - January 2021

"Palisades Petite Sirah / 252 cases

"The 2019 Palisades is dark, almost black with a youthful purple edge. Blackberry, spice, violet floral notes and hints of black Tellicherry pepper are pervasive in the aroma of this wine. This is a big, rich, sumptuous wine with mouth filling intensity, yet it is harmonious and all of one piece. The finish is long, flavorful and satisfying with ample, but not jarring tannins. This is a lovely wine that will live and grow in sophistication for many years.

93 Points - Vinous, Antonio Galloni | Review Date - January 2021""The case quantities are limited. Each wine is handcrafted in small, open-topped redwood fermenters, fermented with native yeast and indigenous malolactic bacteria. All are aged in small French oak cooperage. These wines are a clear expression of my intent for Once & Future.

Thank you for your support of Once & Future. I look forward to seeing your name on my list of wine buyers on in March!

Cheers,
Joel"

Once & Future Wine website:

1 Like

I drank a 2014 Bedrock Vineyard Zinfandel for Inauguration evening and it was really in such a good place. Dark berry, spice and depth … it was a pleasure to spend the evening with it.

1 Like

had the 14 Mataro last weekened need a couple hours to open but was sing very lovely wine

Soft spot for me with Dickerson. The first “special” wines that my local wine shop brought out from the back and offered me back in the late '80s once they knew what I liked. I was barely 21. Who says you can never go back? It’s a special wine, closer to cru Beaujolais than big booty Zinfandel. Excited for that.

1 Like

15 Palisades this week was wonderful, really enjoy Joel’s and Mike’s expressions form that vineyard.

Anyone have a sense of how these compare to their 2018s (which I have really enjoyed)?

I’ve long been a fan of Green & Red Zins, but haven’t had one in years. Looking forward to this rendition!

I already know my order will be Dickerson, Teldeschi and Old Hill.

Feels like a Ravenswood reunion!

1 Like

That is pretty darn good company you keep David [cheers.gif]

Tom

Pretty much the same here…although I might pass on Dickerson strictly due to trying to scale back purchses/lack of space.

If I scale back it will be Teldeschi because I have a lot.

I think you need some Berserkers to come down next year for Spring training and help you clean out that pretty glass cellar [cheers.gif] !

Planning on Teldeschi and Old Hill for sure to rest in the cellar. Of the others, which ones are early drinkers? Wanting to get some to drink near term.

How long is a good wait strategy on the palisades petite? I haven’t touched any of Joel’s since he has started o&f and have drunk mikes shortly after release only to think it needed time

Think I put this somewhere, but recently opened a 2015. Gave it about a 3 hours decant and it was beautiful. Does it have time left on the curve? Certainly, but purely in evolution of flavors, as the tannins were quite in check for my taste after the decant.

Man I got off this list but wish I hadn’t. Amazing juice but I just have to draw a line somewhere. Had a couple bottles over from my remaining stash over the holidays (I think 2015 and 2016) and they were brilliant. Between this thread and a friend who’s picking my brain on this release… I’m drooling.

Ha ha! You’re all invited! My wife completely agrees that we need to lighten the load a little here! You’d be doing me a favor :wink:

1 Like

But its soooo good :wink:

I haven’t opened an Old Hill yet (which I’m positive I’ll love) but Teldeschi has been my favorite of Joel’s wines so far. I know you like em too (hence the quantity you mention).

I totally agree with this. I normally like some age on my pets but the 14 has been drinking surprisingly well for a while now. Seem to be built for…uh, hum…now and the future.

[rofl.gif]