Don't mistreat me and my $400 sparkler

Complex: Champagne Company Sues Total Wine Alleging It Was Mistreated Over Drake Partnership.

Mod Selection argues that this embarrassing clearance sale was the point, calling it a “predetermined plan to kill the Mod Selection Champagnes brand by dumping the product at brand-damaging discounted prices in the U.S. and abroad.”

welcome to the big leagues

Just bought these for about $40 from b21 maybe a month ago. Clearly a massive blow out. Rose was maybe $55. The packaging is incredible. Haven’t opened one yet.

I’ve seen these discounted too (not sure to $40), but it seems like people didn’t think it was worth even half the retail price.

You may laugh now, but you’ll cry later.

1 Like

I’m sure it is selling just fine in Montreal:

2 Likes

Also looks like they’re suing the wrong party. They’re complaining about their old distributor, but haven’t made them a party to the suit

This must have been God’s Plan, but Drake thinks that they were Doing It Wrong. Sounds like Drake has Trust Issues and this will lead to Fireworks.

2 Likes

[rofl.gif]

The headline might as well be “Champagne Company Does Not Understand the Wine Business, Pop Rapper Disappointed”. I would feel bad for the distributor or retailer, but given who they are, this is just hilarious all around.

Not sure why anyone would have expected this wine to sell well especially in the volume produced. It is made by Pierre Mignon who I would rate as a middling, smaller producer who spends a lot of their time making wines for other folks under private or special labels. They are trying to grow and have a small shop in Epernay to promote their wines, but $300-$600 for something that probably should cost $40-$75 is a big jump. Pierre Mignon appears to make a good deal of wine with the same basic formula as the Mod Selection - dosage, packaging, pure vintage or NV blends are variants on this basic formula.

Most of these super higher end ‘celebrity’ or ‘special’ Champagnes have not done very well. Ace of Spades is the exception to the rule especially for any that have wanted to do anything of volume. Additionally, Ace of Spades actually had some good work behind it, was already in the works prior to the Jay-Z tie in, and did a great job taking advantage of some luck and timing that has carried it pretty far. I am not sure it is ever going to get up to the production volume that the marketing group is pushing for (200k bottles per year) and it took quite a while to reach 100k bottles per year. Mod Selection launched at 50k bottles per year with goals to grow that as needed and hopefully quickly. Tough sell for something that is mostly repackaged and made by a company who spends most of their time slapping different labels on very similar bottles of wine. Pricing it above and beyond Cristal, Ace, DP, etc… was also a ballsy move.

Maybe Drake can try selling it at Costco. Mine sells just pallets of sparkling constantly.