6 Absolute Crackers!

Wonderful dinner last night with good friends.

2011 Bernard Boisson-Vadot Meursault Les Grands Charrons: Supremely tight, with a steely mineral spine. Some petrol-like reduction and pure white peach notes too. There’s a hint of spice and great fruit intensity. It has terrific cut and real drive.

2000 Vincent Dauvissat Chablis 1er Cru Séchet: This bottle was in splendid condition, pouring out clear with a green iridescent tinge. The nose was super-fresh, with just a hint of butter and white mushroom development. It was loaded with citrus and had a suggestion of fennel too. It is so direct and precise and oozes saline minerality on the long finish. Simply brilliant!

1998 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru: A very good bottle, at the peak of maturity. Has some truffled honey, white peach and toast on the aroma. It has good shape and line but structural elements have relaxed. There are tertiary, savoury notes and a fresh finish with some bitter citrus rind.

2015 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Clos des Bouchères: Really tight, emitting a bare whiff of smoky mineral, white peach and citrus blossom. It is deeply pitched in the mouth, with great intensity and minerally precision. The finish has a touch of mint and is extremely long.

2017 Domaine Méo-Camuzet Clos Vougeot Près le Cellier, Grand Cru: One of the most delicious and expressive young Clos Vougeots I have had. The nose draws you in with notes of dark cherry, sandalwood, violets and sweet earth. It is plush and velvety, with waves of luscious fruit flavours that lap around the gums. It has good depth and tannins that are perfectly ripe. The finish is laden with spice and is very long. Great balance and energy.

1968 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Santo Stefano: Loads of Indian spice to the aroma. It breathed up wonderfully well in the decanter, showing complex flavours of dried fruits, plant matter, earth and iron. It was rich and heady, with good volume and still plenty of chew to the back-end. A marvellous combination of perfume and power and drinking at the top of its game.

Your posts are so awesome, even if I’ve never had any of these wines and likely never will. That’s crackers!

Thanks man, love the enthusiasm and passion.

That’s the name of my tasting group.

2 Likes

Thanks Robert.

Great name, Theodore.

What Robert said. I always enjoy your notes.

Thanks Chris.

Thanks for the notes. I just bought a mixed case of wines from the Boisson family (Meursault Sous La Velle, Auxey 1er En Reugne…). You describe the 2011 Grands Charrons “supremely tight” still - is this particular to this bottling or are their wines in general made to require time in the cellar?

They are certainly built for the cellar and generally have quite pronounced acidities (which I love).

Those 11 Vadots are definitely on fire!! Love the notes as always!

Good to know, thanks. I was pretty damn happy with the straight BV Bourgogne Blanc, can’t wait to try some of the others.