Vine Hill Ranch

Anyone have any insight on Vine Hill Ranch? Their release for their 2018 is coming up soon.

Thank you

1 Like

I’ve been a fan for years. And a great visit if you’re in Napa Valley. Galloni really likes them. The 2016 was phenomenal. I’m all in for 2018.

Still have 2 cases of the 16. Debating how many 18s to grab. Always fantastic.

2 Likes

When is the offer. This will be my first year on the list

2/9/21 and 2/16/21

What did you guys think of their '17?

What are some comparable makers? What is the style? I think I’ve had a few, but it has been a long time.

I looked for other threads to bump but this seems it.

2018 VHR mags released today at 9am. It said first come, first serve. I went ahead and bought one. I already have a 3 pack of the 18s from the release earlier in the year. I was offered the ability to buy 2 more 3 packs (I don’t need that much $$$ Cab having just spent money on Fait Main, Realm, Beta…plus Detert, Ultramaine & Pisoni) but passed. I was “allocated” 2 mags fwiw.

Same allocation here, had to go back and double check and see if I purchased the 2018 750’s. I may go back and get three more 750’s

2 Likes

I had to rectify a dumb decision in buying only one 3 pk earlier, so I did that and picked up a pair of mags.

1 Like

I did the same thing and saw I had the 3, so with the mag I didn’t think I needed another 3 pack of 750s. If I’m going to put in for a few bottles of $250 wine I don’t need it to be in young Cabs. I was trying to add some CA Cab breadth before doing depth in recent years + this year now buying Realm, VHR, Fait Main, Diamond Creek, Beta, Detert, Corison, Christopher Tynan, Young Inglewood. I also have a big trip to France in November so that 3 pack is another bottle of Selosse at dinner in Avize or something very nice in Beaune.

Just to add a bit of background to the VHR fruit. Check out some of the high end Cabs that are creating single vineyard designates of VHR (or use it as component). This list includes TOR, Memento Mori, and Arrow & Branch. I have the 18s for all of these and looking forward to a great horizontal tasting about 5-10 years from now.

1 Like

In for 3.

1 Like

Also Bond Vecina.

I am constantly baffled why VHR doesn’t get more love. Yes, it’s expensive, but so are a lot of other wines that get a lot more attention.

2018 VHR Cabernet Sauvignon
Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media, vinous.com Jan. 7, 2021
From Napa Valley’s Thrilling 2018s & 2019s, Part 1

The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon has filled out beautifully since I tasted it a year ago. Rich, sumptuous and enveloping, the 2018 captivates all the senses with its sensual personality. All the Vine Hill Ranch signatures come through so beautifully. The 2018 possesses tremendous intensity as it continues to open in the glass, revealing myriad shades of nuance. Black cherry, lavender, spice and chocolate all flesh out on a wine that balances the sumptuousness of the 2012 with some of the energy (but not the size) of the 2013. 98 pts.

2018 VHR, Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon (Extended Age)
The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon “Extended Age” is a four barrel lot of the final blend (the same wine as the bottled 2018) that will spend an extra year in wood. Deep, dense and explosive, with tremendous energy backing its sumptuous fruit, the 2018 is dazzling today. Hints of gravel, spice, lavender and plum build into the intense finish. I can hardly wait to see this in bottle. 97–100 pts.

J. D’Angelo, International Wine Report March, 2021
The 2018 VHR Cabernet Sauvignon is simply spectacular in this vintage. As this slowly unwinds in the glass it gives way to striking aromatics of dark currants and blackberries which come together with fresh spring florals, exotic spices, graphite, crushed gravel and subtle hints of licorice that all emerge beautifully from the glass. On the palate this is full-bodied, polished and fine-tuned with excellent precision. It goes on to display remarkable overall balance, with a gorgeous core of beautiful fresh dark fruits, which are highlighted by a lovely touch of acidity adding a wonderful sense of freshness and vibrancy all the way through the long, graceful finish. While the 2018 is already showing flashes of brilliance at this early stage, there is no doubt that it is destined for an even brighter future ahead. 98 pts.

Did anyone’s 2018 allocation ship or land yet? A shipment originating from CA showed up in my UPS app this past Thursday, but website doesn’t show that it has shipped yet, so I am not sure if it’s actually my VHR.

I received an a email a while ago stating that my order was scheduled to ship on or around 11/15.

Same, although it looks like the package shipped on 11/11, so wasn’t sure if that was actually it.

The email offer for the 2018 mags in the order confirmation it says shipping Nov 15.
Did they sell 750s then do? I can’t recall but I already have mine downstairs in the cellar.

They sell the mags and 750s at separate times.