Rivers-Marie Spring Chardonnay Offer will go live on Tuesday, February 9th

The 2021 Rivers-Marie Spring Chardonnay Offer will go live on Tuesday, February 9th at 9:00 AM PST. As in the past, this release is via email only. At the time the release opens, you will receive an email with a link to the offer and your log-in credentials.

The offer:

2019 Rivers-Marie Sonoma Coast Chardonnay – $30/btl

2019 Rivers-Marie Bearwallow Vineyard Chardonnay – $50/btl

2019 Rivers-Marie Joy Road Vineyard Chardonnay – $50/btl

2019 Rivers-Marie Purrington Rued Vineyard Chardonnay – $60/btl

2019 Rivers-Marie Platt Vineyard Chardonnay – $60/btl

2019 Rivers-Marie B. Thieriot Vineyard Chardonnay-- $60/btl

1 Like

I’ve never had RM Chardonnay (or any white wine made by TRB). What is the style / what other Chardonnays is it somewhat comparable to?

1 Like

In terms of style and weight, I might compare them to Liquid Farm. Pretty ripe tropical and citrus type fruits, good but not especially high acids, a little oak but on the light side, alcohols in the mid to high 13 range.

Not as lean/acidic/minerally as, say, Kutch, Tyler, or Ceritas. But moderately to that side of the spectrum.

They’re good chardonnays, and solid-to-good value for the dollar. The kinds of wines your wine geek friends and your civilian neighbors and relatives would like.

3 Likes

I’d love a sneak peak at the tasting notes that TRB/Will sends out. I’ll be in for some chardonnay as well. Sounds like a good vintage on the Sonoma Coast.

There are notes up on Vinous. 2019 looks very nice :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

Great reviews, from Antonio!! Hopefully the Platt Chardonnay is more plentiful than the Pinot!

Interestingly, there’s not an offer quantity in the email like there was with the Pinot noir.

1 Like

Good point, hopefully we will know before the offer goes live.

Any scores you can share?

I’m looking to buy some Chards but I feel like I want that really buttery style. Is this going to hit that? Are these SS aged?

From their website:

Chardonnay
Whole cluster pressed, barrel fermentation.
No inoculation for primary or secondary unless necessary.
No stirring.
Limited sulfur additions.
100% French Oak barrels, 0% - 25% new oak.
Bottled in December in the year after harvest.

Last year’s newsletter:

Rivers-Marie 2018’s are brilliant across the board.’

• Antonio Galloni

Spring 2020

Where Napa may have had a little interruption in its historic run of great vintages with 2017, Sonoma has not missed a beat. While there probably is a pecking order, there’s no doubt 2012-2018 have all been very good to great years for Sonoma Coast Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. 2018 may prove to be the best of the bunch especially for Chardonnay. The wines have a greater perception of acidity mainly due to a citrus fruit leaning profile across the entire spectrum of wines. The mouthwatering acidity gives the wines a lightness that encourages repeat sips as the wines open and evolve. The wines also fall squarely in the complexion category of green gold which we always feel bodes well for ageability and increased nuance over time. We are very happy to continue to offer a Chardonnay only mailer and certainly feel the wines deserve a space of their own.

ACCESS YOUR ALLOCATION

2018 Rivers-Marie Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast—390 cases, $30

The 2018 Chardonnay (Sonoma Coast) is such a beautiful wine. Pliant and creamy, the 2018 offers a striking interplay of vibrancy and fruit depth. Apricot, mint, dried flowers and light tropical inflections add myriad shades of complexity to this striking, expressive appellation-level Chardonnay.’ - 93 pts., Antonio Galloni

One of the luxuries of an abundant year is the ability to be very selective on what makes the single vineyard cut. This version of the Sonoma Coast is the greatest amalgam of all the bottlings presented in a Chardonnay mailer. Like its Sonoma Coast Pinot sibling, Riddle Vineyard provides the backbone. That vineyard is represented here by green apple skin but then there’s 2 barrels of Platt (hint of botrytized citrus fruit), 1 barrel of Bearwallow (a banana like tropical-ness) and one 30 gallon stainless torpedo of Thieriot (lemon meringue). All of that sounds really good reading it back but the wine is even better. This doesn’t feel like an appellation wine. Like some of the single vineyard wines, there is a vintage inspired reduction that offers white chocolate complemented by a flinty, savory mix of pear, mint and chamomile tea.

2018 Rivers-Marie “Joy Road Vineyard” Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast—130 cases, $50

‘The 2018 Chardonnay Joy Road Vineyard is another wonderfully nuanced wine in this range. Lemon confit, white flowers, butter, mint and a touch of reduction all grace the Joy Road. Finessed and exquisite to the core, the Joy Road is another sublime Chardonnay in this range. In 2018, the Joy Road has an unctuous feel that is hugely appealing.’ -94 pts., Antonio Galloni

I’m a little stunned by how complete this wine is only six weeks removed from bottling. There have always been holes in previous editions that time helped fill, no need here. The nose grabs you immediately with a broad spectrum of citrus notes most notably kaffir lime and lemon rind with just a touch of reduction to make the aromatics linger. This is a true coast site so the first palate perception is a framing acidity that brings forward chalk, menthol, lanolin, almonds and lemon oil. Though the 3.27 finished pH wouldn’t suggest it, there is some give to the wine in the way of salted butter, white flowers and a yellow fruited confit.

2018 Rivers-Marie “Purrington Rued Vineyard” Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast—105 cases, $60

The 2018 Chardonnay Purrington Rued Vineyard is a wine of tremendous character and nuance. Readers will find a lush, bold Chardonnay loaded with tropical fruit, sweet spice and ripe apricot flavors. In the glass, the 2018 offers quite a bit of textural depth if a bit less of the delicacy found in some of the other wines in the range.- 93 pts., Antonio Galloni

The exoticness of this site continues to amaze us. It starts with notes of candied ginger, apricot compote, nectarines and lychee. Like the 2017, it has Alsatian overtones that don’t immediately scream Chardonnay. That comes in later with a dense textural impact and a swerve toward lemony, citrus notes. This wine is a combination of so many things we strive for in our winemaking: site, clonal and vintage expression here coupled with vine age. These vines are 50 years old which allows us to do very little in the vineyard and cellar to make what we think is the best version of this site. Only vine age can do that with Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. We touched on our future jealousy a bit in the last Pinot mailer, how the next generation will find working with 40, 50, 60 year old sites commonplace. Here we get a little glimpse into that future.

2018 Rivers-Marie Platt Vineyard Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast – 180 cases, $60

In 2018, the Chardonnay Platt Vineyard is fabulous. Rich and luscious, the 2018 shows why this site is so highly regarded. The Platt is a wonderfully complete wine endowed with striking aromatic presence, tons of depth and plenty of supporting structure. Apricot, sage, mint and tropical notes all open up in the glass. - 94+ pts., Antonio Galloni

No surprise this possesses more than a passing resemblance to Thieriot. Sea spray and crushed oyster shell always remind us of the most far flung Sonoma Coast sites, almost as if the fog that wraps itself around this area carries ocean mist to the grapes. The naturally low pH pushes the fruit to high-toned: lemon peel, nectarine and orchard fruits. There’s also a savory quality that adds complexity and depth, tea leaves and mint accentuated by salted butter. Coiled tight for now, all the potential resides in the mid-palate where the acidity provides a cool freshness that’s both mouthwatering and luscious.

2018 Rivers-Marie B. Thieriot Vineyard Chardonnay Sonoma Coast—152 cases, $60

‘The 2018 Chardonnay B. Thieriot Vineyard is a captivating wine that captures all of the energy this site is so well-known for, but without the austerity that is sometimes found in Thieriot Chardonnays. Citrus confit, mint, chamomile, almond and ripe orchard fruit abound. Deep in color and super-intense, the 2018 is positively stellar.’ 95 pts., Antonio Galloni

There’s not much more to say about wines from this property. The consistency of the site provides such great raw material every year. This version has all the lemony goodness and mouthwatering acidity you expect from Thieriot with complimentary notes of white peach, candied pineapple, pear and honeysuckle. With zero noticeable oak, the excellence of the vineyard shines through showcasing both a great growing season and the precise farming of Ulises Valdez Jr. and his crew.

Reminders

Given the small case count, this mailer will only be open for 10 days, quantities permitting. We will ship Pinot and Chardonnay orders together starting March 23th. Weather will of course dictate when we can get wine to all parts of the country. Any questions, please reach out to Will Segui at will@riversmarie.com.

Thanks again for your continued support.

Thomas Rivers Brown and Genevieve Marie Welsh

Unsubscribe

1 Like

I haven’t finalized anything but it looks like 3 bottles across the board.

4 Likes

Here are his scores, with a small snippet from the actual review text. Seems similarly scored as the 2017s, and 2018s looking back. Good value, and always solid Chardonnays, that (at least for me) don’t display too much oak or all out ripe fruit. If anything, I think Rivers-Marie pinots/chardonnays are a bit more restrained and classic than the Cabs, but I buy all three. champagne.gif

B. Thieriot: 95 (seemed to like this one the best, if forced to pick)
Platt: 95 (“striking Chardonnay”)
Purrington Rued: 94 (“mineral/savory”)
Joy Road: 93 (“more fleshiness and depth than others in the range”)
Sonoma Coast: 92 (“elegant, superb introduction to the range”)
Bearwallow: 92 (“most open-knit of these Chardonnays”)

4 Likes

Had the 2018 Thieriot last night. My WOTY to date. A stunner.

1 Like

I opened my 2018 Purrington Rued last night because I’ve never tried one of those. Really, really enjoyed it. I only bought one last time but I’m hoping for more on this round.

Will these ship with the Pinot order? When will we know about the Platt vineyard Pinot wish list? Anyone know?

Jeff, If you didn’t get an email that you landed a platt pinot, then sadly you didn’t, but your in good company! Few did it seems

Late Winter 2021
It’s hard to say what varietal benefitted most from the cool, idyllic 2019 vintage. In California, it’s natural to think thin skinned grapes are the obvious candidates given their propensity to sugar up quickly in early autumn heat events. That would probably put Pinot first and Chardonnay second here but what I think is commonly overlooked is the nuance in the delicate aromatics of Chardonnay. The grapes themselves can withstand a little more heat than their purple Burgundian cousins but I’m not sure if the damage isn’t greater to the finished product of Chardonnay. Without the benefit of skin contact and all its masking nuances, Chardonnay stands bare to the vagaries of the vintage conditions. I think most people would point to lesser vintages as examples of this fact but here an exemplary vintage provides greater testament in its ability to stand above every other year that surrounds it. We talk about completeness all the time and its enjoy now, enjoy later, enjoy much later hallmark. These 2019s showcase everything we’ve been looking for when developing our Chardonnay program. There’s something for everyone here: the citrus tinged, accessible Sonoma Coast, the cellar worthy, inward leaning Joy Road, the exotic, yellow-fruited Bearwallow, the tropical unicorn Purrington Rued, the honeyed fireworks of Platt and the California grand cru of Thieriot. I wrote all the notes on these wines before I wrote this paragraph and it didn’t take me long to realize just how special this vintage turned out to be.

The Six Wines
2019 Rivers-Marie Chardonnay Sonoma Coast—450 cases
Like its Pinot Noir counterpart, the 2019 Sonoma Coast Chardonnay comes entirely from Riddle Vineyard in Occidental. We purchase all the Chardonnay (and most of the Pinot) Jim Riddle grows at his 10 acre site. In the past, it has always needed a few barrels of the other vineyards to present a complete wine. Here the combination of vine maturity and clonal selection have elevated this wine to nearly the same level as the single vineyard wines in this mailer. Planted 100% to the Wente clone, Riddle produces tiny berries full of citrus, mineral and white pepper notes. It also produces wines with enormous amounts of dry extract giving this wine a very broad but dense mouth feel. The dry finish comes up in the form of chalk and mint with a little white peach and honeysuckle creeping in to round out the finish.

2019 Rivers-Marie “Joy Road Vineyard” Chardonnay Sonoma Coast—120 cases
This site is always a bit of a chameleon. It seems to shift to whatever the overarching vintage characteristic is in a given year. We’ve seen this wine go from fat to firm to almost Sauvignon Blanc in style during the racy year of 2014. The last few years however it appears to have finally developed its own personality. It contains all the best palate traits of the three other single vineyard Sonoma Coast wines in this release, the medium ripe tropical fruit notes of Purrington Rued, the sea spray of Thieriot and the honey tinged citrus of Platt. The nose is a touch reticent at first but with air turns to wet stones, lime blossom and gunpowder. Tightly coiled and inward leaning, the palate follows suit with more savory notes complemented by tangerine, honeysuckle and white peach. Going back and tasting the first few vintages of this wine also shows this might be the best aging site in the lineup.

2019 Rivers-Marie “Bearwallow Vineyard” Chardonnay Anderson Valley—135 cases
This wine showcases just how great the 2019 vintage was on the north coast. The aromatic pop, sweet entry and kaleidoscopic finish highlight the completeness of wines from this year. All the normal yellow fruits are here plus a salty, mineral flecked nuance that we have never seen before. Pear, almond and lemon confit define the palate as the wine starts to unwind toward a waxy richness. Just like last year, there’s the slightest hint of reduction in the wine which manifests as white chocolate and matchstick. The tiny berries from this impeccably farmed site though produce a white that has structure and grip and will definitely need a year or two to unwind in the cellar.

2019 Rivers-Marie “Purrington Rued Vineyard” Chardonnay Sonoma Coast—120 cases
You can talk about what wine is objectively best but that’s not always what you personally prefer or want to drink at a given time. For me, I can debate the merits of the various wines in this release but what I want to drink is the Purrington Rued. I love the uniqueness of this bottling, there’s nothing else that tastes like it. I’m still a little shocked we have the ability to source from this 50+ year old vineyard located in the heart of what’s known as Dutton Valley. There’s not much like this anywhere on the Sonoma Coast when you consider its age, location and farming pedigree. I keep wanting to call this tropical but that’s not quite right. If there is an exotic fruit note it’s candied, salted pineapple but there’s also dried white flowers, apricot, jasmine, fresh sage and orange blossom. Here the vine age contributes an incredible amount of palate weight without the slightest hint of heaviness.

2019 Rivers-Marie “Platt Vineyard” Chardonnay Sonoma Coast—160 cases
This was my favorite Chardonnay from tank right before bottling in December. I thought it was a tick above the Thieriot in aromatic complexity and palate depth but I was also impressed with how much better this bottling has gotten every year. This is our third year in this block of Platt and that sounds about right for figuring out how best to make it. I can’t really think of the actual tweaks we’ve made but whatever they are, they work with this 2019. If I had to guess, I’d attribute it to the vineyard and one additional botrytis removal pass right before harvest. This edition comes across as a little more focused than 2017 or 2018 with more fruit and acidity allowed to shine through the minimized honey top note. It’s immediately apparent on the nose which jumps from the glass with saline, spicy apple, freshly baked bread and mint. Even with all this natural acidity, the palate is broad and generous with ripe orchard fruit, smoke, sage, chamomile and dried flowers. This is giving so much right now but with this level of acidity and concentration, it should go for 7-10 years in the cellar.

2019 Rivers-Marie “B. Thieriot Vineyard” Chardonnay Sonoma Coast—160 cases
I’m not sure how much better this wine can get. We’ve been out here since 2007 and have seen this improve every year we’ve worked with it. The green/gold complexion as always is there suggesting a wine with a long life ahead of it. The site character has become very well defined on the palate: lemon zest, sea spray, brioche, white flowers, orchard fruit and citrus blossom. The completeness of the wine is hard to fathom sometimes. If California ever adopted a vineyard classification system, I have no doubt this site would be in the top tier for Chardonnay.

A Couple Reminders

Given the small case count, this mailer will only be open until February 21st, quantities permitting. We will ship Pinot and Chardonnay orders together starting in March in an attempt to beat any early warming trends in the southern part of the country. Weather will of course dictate when we can get wine to all parts of the country. Any questions, please reach out to Will Segui at will@riversmarie.com or our director of hospitality Frank Ingriselli at frank@riversmarie.com or 707-341-3127.

Thanks again for your continued support.

Thomas Rivers Brown and Genevieve Marie Welsh

5 Likes

Offer is open for those that want to take a look. CampaignMonitor (email campaing) is experiencing some technical difficulties and will hopefully be back online soon so I can get the proper offer out to everyone --will

Yup got in a few minutes early. Allocations as expectated (3 each)

Cellar bursting at seams but still in for
3 SC
2 Theriot
2 Platt